Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

$0.20 Bose Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Wags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

InSaNeAmine you've done it again. This sounds like a project for the next time the temp goes over 40 . By the way I did the break in oil change and grounding kit last weekend. My vin is 1054somthing and I haven't been too happy with the radio, CDs are okay (what am I gonna do with all these MP3s?). I'm not too fussy but a couple timed a day NPR interviews someone with a voice that drops through the floor. Thanks for passing on what looks like a good fix,
Old 03-11-2003, 06:43 AM
pinkie

Default VIN #'s which need Bose $0.20$ fix??

Sorry guys but I cannot find the VIN #'s that do or do not need this fix... Please help!!
Old 03-11-2003, 06:52 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The VIN's not covered by the TSB probably do not need htis fix, but alot are trying it anyways. It apparently defeats or at least, minimizes the effect of the audio pilot. I htink the TSB covers VIN's up to around 5500...but thats jsut a guess.

Do a search here for Bose TSB and you can get the exact VIN numbers covered by the Tech Bulletin...
Old 03-11-2003, 01:05 PM
MacGuru

Wow! First, a BIG thanks to insaneamine for figuring this one out. This made a big difference. I did have the TSB replacement amp, but I was still not satisfied with the sound. All the TSB did was reduce the booming bass and irratic volume control. Now, it's not the cure all for the Bose, but it did make a signifigant difference. Sound has a nice volume and the trebble and bass controls seem to work better. Total time to do: 30 minutes.

I've only listened to the fix for about 30-45 minutes, so far so good. I would like to hear the difference between a TSB (mine) and a non-TSB "resistor fix".

Thanks again guys.
-m
Old 03-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this yesterday. My car was post TSB, and had the 'replacement' amp from the factory [Vin 11k range]. My complaint was there was _no_ bass at all, and it was harsh starting around volume #19 or so. Without the mic attached, it's a much more linear sound and not so harsh in the mid to upper ranges. Bass actually works and there's some degree of noticeable difference when adjusting bass or treble. Comfortable listening volume is now around 22 or so. At any rate it's made the stereo liveable for the mean time.

In closing -- this should be a recall, if you ask me. Everyone should do this and you'll find that the Bose stereo, while not superlative in any way, is actually listen-able.

Gratz on a great find Insanemine!
Old 03-13-2003, 05:49 PM
abz123

That's strange...I thought the replacement amp was just for car in the 4k range and under. 11k range cars should not need a replacement amp....or so I thought.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by abz123
That's strange...I thought the replacement amp was just for car in the 4k range and under. 11k range cars should not need a replacement amp....or so I thought.
No, you're right the amp didn't need to be replaced and has not been. The cars manufactured after the "4k range" already had the amp installed from the factory. Regardless, it sounds better now.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:00 PM
abz123

Ooops.. I guess I misread your post. Sorry.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:58 AM
SnoopyZ

Sorry if this question sounds dumb but...

Would you guys recommend that I get the "Bose Fix" amp before I do this? Or am I better of just doing this mod on the "bad Bose amp"? I know my car is under the VIn for the TSB, but I just wanna know if maybe it is better to just do the mod and forget the "fix amp'. Any info would be great... thanx =)
Old 03-17-2003, 08:53 AM
abz123

Actually that is a very good question because I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe this can be resolve at one of the meets...

I like the bass level on the car when I play CDs and mp3s, but the radio is a different story. I think I've come to the conclusion that I do not want to change out the amp....Mainly from the fear of it sounding worst than it is now and losing control. Also, I don't listen to the radio that much and I don't want any monkeys tearing into my car.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:44 PM
DrivenZ

I was thinking the same thing. Mine has not had the amp replaced and is covered under the TSB. Anyone out there who has done this without the amp replacement?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:44 PM
MacGuru

quote:
Originally posted by abz123
Would you guys recommend that I get the "Bose Fix" amp before I do this? Or am I better of just doing this mod on the "bad Bose amp"

That is a good question. Since I've had the TSB replacement and the resistor fix, I can point out a few differences I've noticed before and after. What I can tell you are a few things that I've noticed from my personal experiences.

non-TSB Bose system - very poor FM sound, bass is boomy, erratic volume (audio pilot), no control over bass or treble, to name a few.

post TSB Bose system - Slight improvement in FM sound. No more erratic bass, however audio pilot doesn't seem to affect volume control. Although we have bass and treble controls, the range of control is very limited and subtle.

post resistor fix TSB Bose system - The FM sound is still the same (crap), I think it's the HU radio. With that said, I must say this fix is really worth it! The volume no longer fade off when pushed to max (31). Bass and treble controls seem to have more of an impact on sound quality.

Look forward to hearing reviews of non-TSB with resistor fix. Cheers. -m
Old 03-29-2003, 09:41 AM
alienx

Hi,

Can anyone help me understand where i fall in this bose mess?

I picked up my manual tranny touring Z yesterday and the stereo is pretty bad. The Vin is near 11,000 or 12,000. I'm not sure where that means I fell in the TSB or any other fixes that Nissan may have attempted.

My stereo suffers from the audio pilot symptoms. The tone fades in and out and the volume gets higher and lower, both using CD's and the radio. That is problem one.

Problem two is that I almost had to check behind the driver's seat to see if the subwoofer was even in the car. The car that I first test-drove two months ago had so much punch from the sub that I could feel it hitting me in the back through the seat. My stereo is nothing like that.

I guess that means that I have the new amp. The one with no base. But I'm not sure that they should have made thsi fix because all they did was take the sub out of the stereo equation. And it absolutely did nothing to fix the freaky audio pilot adjustments.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct in what I am saying? And is it worth it to try to remove the mic?

Thanks. Andy

PS. the car is otherwise the bomb!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:20 PM
vancitydude

Default resistor problem.. help!

did the resistor thing... double-bent the wire--it couldn't be any snugger in the connector... but now the bass cuts in and out intermittently... seems to happen on songs with heavy bass... it's not a gradual thing like before the resistor mod, instead it *pops* on and off... Once again, the resistor is tight in the connector...

I'm using a 1K resistor as suggested.... do i need a bigger one?
Old 04-10-2003, 04:44 AM
RAW22

I did the fix last night. It was pretty easy.

It works well for CD's. No more auto bass/treble/volume adjusment. The speakers still sound bad, but that is another problem.

The problem is the radio is ten times worse. It goes from being normal, to overbassing so bad it hurts your ears. It even hurt my ears on #8 volume.

Did I do something wrong? I followed the instructions.

I may have to reattach the mic.

THanks, Richard
Old 04-10-2003, 08:39 AM
RAW22

Actually, it seems to only be really bad right after I adjust any of the bass/treble settings. If I shut my car off and turn it back on, it doesnt seem to do it. Is that normal?

THanks
Richard
Old 04-10-2003, 09:09 AM
vancitydude

I tried three different resistors including a 1k, and found no difference, in fact, it got worse... so i decided to wrap the mic in electric tape and cloth to insulate it, and it seems to make a difference... it doesn't TOTALLY solve the problem, but makes it more listenable until i get around to replacing the stereo...

still... shutting the car off seems to re-set the original settings, then after a few minutes the audio improves...
Old 04-10-2003, 05:47 PM
RAW22

Did the fix last night, and it seems to only make my radio worse (hard to believe).

It does it all the time now regardless of if I change the treble or bass settings.

I guess I will have to reconnect the mic again.

Thanks for the post anyway, it gave me hope for a while.

Richard
Old 04-13-2003, 11:22 AM
MacGuru

Well, I just did this fix to a non-TSB amp, this was done for JonslvZ. His Z is in the TSB range, however he's not had the replacement. I'm sure John will be providing feedback on the fix. I didn't have much time to compare differences between the fix on TSB (mine) and his fix on non-TSB. Initial thoughts are, it fixed the erratic boomy bass and opened up treble and bass control. I'll let John take it from here...

This is a great fix insaneamine! Thanks again. -m
Old 04-13-2003, 03:00 PM
MSCHOEN2U

Default Re: Is this for real?

I installed the resistor this afternoon, took about 20 minutes. will post if I find a differnce, with the Boze, I figured I have nothing to lose, even if it does void the warranty. Thanks

Originally posted by insaneamine
I installed the resistor and drove around a bit. I played both CDs and the radio. The volume did not auto adjust and the bass and treble levels remained where I set them.

I suspect the microphone and the circuitry was acting as a variable resistor. The inherent resistance to the mic is 8k ohm.

I read another post here, where the author tried resistors ranging from 3k to 10k without luck. Maybe he didn’t go low enough.

This mod is fairly simple and unobtrusive. Try it. Post your comments if you disagree.

Here is a picture of the underside of the beast.

Quick Reply: $0.20 Bose Fix!