Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

$0.20 Bose Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 06:04 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Macguru did my Bose fix? Well it got worse. The damn bass got way too loud. Even playing the cds! So I took the damn thing apart and cut the wire connected to the mic. Much better now. But not a complete fix. Sometimes when I open the window it acts up for a brief moment. This even happened after the resistor fix.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:17 PM
jcru2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did it and it worked very well, but this is after the amp fix. i took a trip this week, 1500 miles worth and blasted the radio both, cd and xm radio. sounds so much better. thank you so much for the fix.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM
MacGuru

So I guess without the TSB replacement amp, the resistor fix doesn't work. Maybe it's a different ohm rating.

John, I would recommend getting the TSB replacement and then reinstall the resistor. Sorry it didn't work out for you. -m
Old 04-14-2003, 06:37 PM
JonsilvZ

Its alright Mike. The sound is much better then original. But doesnt the TSB make the bass too low even if you adjust it?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:03 AM
MacGuru

Not really... the bass sounds fine. You should listen to mine again. I still say get the TSB replacement and then put the resistor back in. It's much better than what it is now.

Cheers. -m
Old 04-15-2003, 05:20 PM
JeremyL

FYI: Bose just came out and upgraded my amp with a test unit which may eventually be rolled into an amp upgrade to fix these issues.... and it seems to work better than this fix.

(I had a "newer amp" - this is a brand new test)

See: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=25863
Old 04-16-2003, 08:27 PM
MacGuru

Thanks JeremyL. I remember seeing your thread a few days ago but forgot to follow up. I'm glad to hear Bose/Nissan is taking action and things are sounding positive. I look forward to TSB replacement. Tks. -m
Old 04-20-2003, 12:50 PM
all_bark

Default I FINALLY DID IT!!!

I had the resistors for quite a while but never got around to doing it.

After last weeks third amp install (I was one of the guys who had Nissan + Bose reps come to my house and put in the third bose amp) [for more info] I finally decided to rid my Z of this audio pilot issue forever (hopefully)

This was my first attempt at removing any items secured in place on the Z. I was "tampering" with the original fit and it made me uneasy. I followed insaneamine's instructions and everything came out as explained. I added the resistor taped it up, replaced the mic in its original condition (if I needed to go back to original) and put it all back togeather.

Went out for a drive and tested the new, audio pilotless stereo with the third amp.

Results:
THIS IS THE BEST THIS SYSTEM HAS SOUNDED............EVER!
NO MORE AUDIO PILOT!!!!

I am very happy overall with my bose now, I would only wish that the tweeters could some how be factory upgraded so they sounded "crisper" but even they sound better now with the audio pilot GONE.

Insaneamine, thanks for a great, easy, cheap fix!

edit: I just saw that JeremyL already posted the same link!

Last edited by all_bark; 04-20-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:32 AM
apsilon

Default Other resistors?

I have the "fixed" Bose but hate the audio pilot and would love to disable it so I'd liek to try this fix.

The closest I can get from the local store is a half watt 1k ohm. Is this close enough to work or at least not damage anything?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:45 AM
phreezee

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
Its alright Mike. The sound is much better then original. But doesnt the TSB make the bass too low even if you adjust it?
This is very true... I have a 'fixed' amp, and I always have the Bass setting at 5, and can never get enough Bass.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:20 PM
JonsilvZ

I got my TSB for the Bose and put the resistor(22k ohms). The radio and cd sounds sooo much better. I set the bass to +2 treble +4. Now this is what it was suppose to sound like from the beginning! I did this last week so its a complete fix!
Old 06-17-2003, 09:06 PM
sirsycho

Default AMAZING!

Well, I just ordered my replacment system...out with the Bose, in with the:
Eclipse CD8443 HU
PPI PCX-4125 4x125W
PPI PCX-2125 2x125W
Focal 165W Components
Focal 165CA Coaxials
Focal 27WX

All this happens on Monday, but I figured I'd try this out to see how much of an actual difference it makes. The whole process took me about 45 minutes (it might have gone quicker if I were 5'2" and a gymnast...that car is TINY). I am absolutely amazed at the difference a dollar can make. I actually have tweeters in there!!! Who would have thought?...The bass acutally has a little kick to it now as well (not as much as it will when I'm done with it next week). If I hadn't already ordered and paid for all of the above components I could probably live with this stereo for a few more months (just got the car 3 weeks ago).

I've listened to a few CDs so far and they sound fantastic, no more fluctuation in volume, bass and treble while driving. I've listened to some Tool, Toadies, and Dave Matthews so far...

The RADIO however is a different story, it's still sucks, not very defined, too bass heavy, mids and highs sound like there playing inside of a cardboard box, overall VERY VERY bad.

If you're considering a switch out of the stereo you might try this first and see how you like it, it's cheap and relatively easy. Just take your time and don't get frustrated.

oh and for reference: My settings are Bass +2, Treble +1 everything else 0
Old 06-29-2003, 08:01 PM
SHAQMAGIC

Someone needs to listen to my Bose, maybe I'm crazy but my system is phenomenal.

My VIN is 7868 so I guess I have the factory fix. (Touring)

I mostly listen to CD's, not much radio and if I do, it's usually Mike and the Mad Dog.

My CD's range from Crystal Meth, Eminem, NWA, Van Halen, Maiden, Bon Jovi, Shabba Ranks, LL Cool Jay, EPMD, Styx, The D.O.C., Motley Crue, etc... some are original some are burnt...

No matter whats in, the system is great.

Bass is at +2 Treble +4... I never have trouble with volume flux, except when that lady speaks (when one my kids are in the car, the nav has to be on, even if we're going to the neighbor's house).

I have awesome powerful bass, mids, highs very nice, well distributed throughout the car.

Only adjustments I ever make is if I want to show off how strong the bass is in a stock system to someone, I go to +3, but other than that I never touch the controls.

I should knock on wood now, right?

If any Z owner lives in Suffolk County, NY... PM me and come listen, maybe I'm delusuional.

Last edited by SHAQMAGIC; 06-29-2003 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:24 AM
kinnarda

Wink bose

I got an email from Bose this week telling me that they have the "fix" and that I need to contact my dealer to get it taken care of. My dealer asked me for some letters and numbers off the face of the Bose and my VIN number. They are telling me that within 5 days they will call me and I can come by and get my new Boze installed.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:40 PM
SnoopyZ

Default Re: bose

Originally posted by kinnarda
I got an email from Bose this week telling me that they have the "fix" and that I need to contact my dealer to get it taken care of. My dealer asked me for some letters and numbers off the face of the Bose and my VIN number. They are telling me that within 5 days they will call me and I can come by and get my new Boze installed.
And this is a "completely" different fix then the "original fix"???

*Sorry if it sounds like a stupid quesiton
Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I got several question.

First, how do you know if you have a TSB replacement amp. The reason is I have my car imported from Japan, so I can't go back to the Dealer. Is there a way to look at the amp to know if it is the replacement amp or the orginal amp. I still have that stupid audio pliot.

Second, which resistor to use. The orginal tread say use 1K ohm resistor, but now people are using 22K ohm resistor...which one do I need?

Finally, assuming the worse that I have the orginal pre-TSB amp, anything I can do to get rid of that audio pliot?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:30 PM
GamblerZ

From the very beginning, I complained about my BOSE system sounding muddy and that damned Audio Pilot! I had my BOSE amp replaced last August with the Clarion amp as specified in the TSB.

I have read a number of posts about owners having BOSE come out to replace their amps. My question is, are there new(er) BOSE replacement amps to fix the muddy sound?

Meanwhile, I am going to take matters into my own hands and rid myself of that ridiculous Audio Pilot using the resistor fix.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:32 PM
trimmer20

I have utilized this mod..it seems to be promising,,my question is it tAKES ABOUT TEN MINUTES FOR THE BASS TO COME TO LIFE....I DRIVE THIS THING AND ALL OF A SUDDEN IT COMES TO LIFE...I USED THE SPECIFIED RESISTOR AND WONDER WHY IT TAKES THIS AMOUNT OF TIME FOR THINGS TO GET GOING...ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS SCENARIO?...I HAVE TO KEEP THE STOCK SYSTEM FOR A WHILE AND JUST WANT IT TO BE CONSISTENT AND BEARABLE...THANKS FOR ANY INPUT...TRIMMER20...MY EMAIL DIRECT IS JFARLOW@VPSTUDIOS.COM...THX
Old 02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
benzz280

for those who just did this recently, any updates on the outcome?
i am about to get my amp replaced by my dealer, but wonders if i should or not
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 PM
bcheng4jc

i just did the fix with the resistor and it sounds alot better. i think i had the "fixed" amp because my bass is almost non-existent sometimes at loud volume. i'll test it tomorrow on my drive to work. just a thought, the resistor won't get hot and cause any potential hazards right?!

Quick Reply: $0.20 Bose Fix!