Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Whats the deal with watching DVDs while in motion (Had a convo with crutchfield)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Anomaly460

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the deal with watching DVDs while in motion (Had a convo with crutchfield)

Ok so i call crutchfield to ask them some questions about a headunit im interested in (alpine dva 9860). One of my questions was does this headunit have a safety feature that only lets you watch DVDs while parked...His answer was "yes thats the only time you can use it" (not directly answering my question). So my next question is is there anyway around this...His answer was i cant have that conversation with you!!

I mean who the hell parks their car to watch dvds??? That would defeat the whole purpose! So basically what i want to know is how do i tell if the unit has that feature and what are the ways around it. And is crutchfield required to tell you that to avoid liability??
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you can easily get arround it on most models, but I don't think anyone will tell you how because of the legal ramifications. You can figure it out..
Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by Anomaly460
So my next question is is there anyway around this...His answer was i cant have that conversation with you!!
For liability reason why he can't disclose that information.

Originally Posted by Anomaly460
I mean who the hell parks their car to watch dvds??? That would defeat the whole purpose! So basically what i want to know is how do i tell if the unit has that feature and what are the ways around it. And is crutchfield required to tell you that to avoid liability??
Same principal goes to....who the hell drives and have the time to watch a dvd. (Unless its for show only and you had a passenger)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving while watching a movie = bonehead.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Try&keepup

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
am not
Old 05-17-2006, 11:52 AM
visionboy

i dont drive and watch dvd, but sometimes it's nice to have a movie playing inthe background while driving....
Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally, from experience, think driving while the driver watches a dvd is just dumb, i am sorry if you think other wise, but for me, my safety and my loved ones safety are at risk...i dont care if youa re mario andretti, anyting that diverts your eyes and attention off the road for even a split second, its dangerous. and there are already other things that divert your attention: fumbling with the audio conrols, ac controls, cell phone, passengers...etc...we dont need another factor. its not about the thousands of times you watch the dvd and nothing happens, its about the one time, you look at the screen for a second or two, look up and someone has stopped infront of you or pulled out or a pedestrian walked out...then you will be sorry for the rest of your life.

i emphasize this point with all my customers, whether or not they listen, its up to them, but i certainly hope no one like that is around me when i am driving.

if you must watch a dvd in your car, i find there is plenty of times where i sit there and watch, for example, wheni am watiing for the wife as she getting off work, at shows...etc etc..or heck, if you just cannot do with out watching while the car is in motion, let your better half drive and you watch...

again, i emphasize this point...i have known at least a dozen of cusotmers over hte years who have gotten into accidents specifically becuase of watching a movie while driving, and a fwe of them serious accidents, one of htem involved a fatality in ohio, where a deer crossed into his path at night and his night vision was compromised and killed his passenger when it went into a tree...

b
Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...gger%20Modules

TR-7

If you **** up, its your own fault. So don't **** up.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Anomaly460

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Its not meant for ME to watch movies while im driving. Its mainly for show and my passengers use. I just dont want to be able to only use it while parked. So back to my question...Is this a feature thats basically on all car DVD players? And if not how can i check?

btw i actually referenced your farenheit installed write up...thanks alot
Old 05-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Lambo

i was going to buy a dvd unit for my wife's car for when we take long trips. when i saw that 99% of them can only be watched while parked, i decided not to get one. i want my wife to be able to watch a movie while i drive so she can stop talking TO ME. but i ended up just getting a regular radio.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 PM
ss350

you just ground the "safety" wire that is supposed to be connected to the e-brake...but some new units are harder to bypass
Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
hbenet

Originally Posted by Lambo
i was going to buy a dvd unit for my wife's car for when we take long trips. when i saw that 99% of them can only be watched while parked, i decided not to get one. i want my wife to be able to watch a movie while i drive so she can stop talking TO ME. but i ended up just getting a regular radio.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
jeff0181

the eclipse avn 5500 lets you watch while you drive
Old 05-17-2006, 03:44 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of my cutomers request the hookup so you can play while moving, i refuse being a certified installer etc etc i am legally required to hook it up properly.