Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a pretty pretty box....

is that a touchscreen by chance?

picture is crisp eh.

no Im not canadian.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:14 PM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I stayed away from touchscreen because I need not be tempted to reach over and touch the screen while I am driving and ofcourse there is the fat-thumb factor.

We do kiosk testing at work and have a 17" touchscreen CRT and thats hard enough to operate windows with just a touchscreen, so didn't want to lose any more hair over trying to do that on a 7" screen!

Ok, enough of that...here is my update on a test run in the car.

First the parameters of the test:
1) tested first w/ignition switched to power electronics (but not ca, then also tested w/car running.
3) Using a 150W ACInverter (dual outlet) w/PC and 7" Xenarc VGA screen (700YV) plugged into that using their respective power supplies (Casetronic 60W for PC).
4) PC system:
-Via M9000 (933MHz)
-256mb RAM
-Toshiba 30Gig 2.5" hard drive (+adapter)
-Toshiba Slim 8x DVD-ROM (+adapter)
-Casetronic Case 2699R
-USB Keyspan Presentation Remote

*Note - I'm also running two MTX amps, and a radar detector hard wired, with the AC on.

Results:
I had no problems running either of the two devices. I played DVD's, MP3, etc. Also shutdown, restarted the PC several times. The USB Presentation Remote worked perfectly...very pleased with that so far.

Sooo...it looks like I am ready for my install this weekend. I have not tried plugging in a USB GPS Receiver yet (because I don't have one yet). I suspect that this might just put the power supply over the edge, but will have to test when I get to that point. Hopefully, the bigger DC-DC (Opus Solutions) power supply comes out by then.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:15 PM
aggie300zx

In-car testing...
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0698.jpg  
Old 03-18-2003, 05:17 PM
aggie300zx

Note - in the above picture I still have the protector plastic on the Xenarc screen.

Just for grins....here is my sub box I had installed last week! I'm really pleased with the job Tweeter's did on it...all for $300
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0703.jpg  
Old 03-18-2003, 05:39 PM
DaKine-Z-

Default ....

Scott,

If you need help this weekend, don't hesitate to call me up! I bet you are excited, I know I am and its not even mine..... Good Luck! Ricky
Old 03-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good!!!

Glad to hear the power supply is holding up so far. By the way, I did get an email from Opus today, advising that their new PS has been delayed again, and they don't expect to have it for sell for another 4 weeks.

what do you think about the Gnet interface so far? Is it too early to get a recommendation on it?
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 PM
aggie300zx

I'm hoping this power supply holds together until that Opus one becomes available.

My initial review of the G-Net digital dash:
-the user interface is very clean
-all of the major functions you would want are easily accesible using their big shortcut buttons. (more important I think for non-vga screens)

-some issues I ran into that I don't like at all: (1) full screen resolution is 640x480, it can not be maximized for bigger resolutions, (2) wallpaper can not be changed, (3) the mp3 player does not remember the files you open so you would have to add them each time you boot up the PC (no worries for me, since I'm using Windows Media Player anyway).

Until I get it in the car and start really using it I will hold my judgement on whether I would recommend purchasing it for $45.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:27 PM
ares
Veteran

the car can handle all you can give it, lemme tell ya that.

Ive had the car open with interior lights on for a good part of 3 days, and had the computer running for maybe an hour altogether all off the battery, mind you, a full computer not a via board. and I started it up, no problem, voltage still read like 12 rather than 14. the electrical system in the Z is pretty damn strong.

of course I think your more talking about the PSU, cause your using the DC, gets harder and harder to find them as you go higher.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Scafremon

What special (or just long) cables will we need?

VGA Cable?
Is it difficult to weave this large cable from computer to dash? Can/should we go with custom flat cables for this?

What about 'round' cables for hard drives and DVD drives? Are these round cables all show, or do they have a benefit?

While I wait for a screen, I'm anxious to have everything ready for it's arrival. Shop now, build later.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:24 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Once you guys get these screens up and running, I'm just warning you, no **** on your screen in the great state of TN!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:40 AM
abz123

$2-$50 fine....bwahahahaha!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:51 AM
zaway

aggie300zx, very nice setup. I wanted to know what was the make and model for that USB presentation mouse and where did you get it?

zaway
Old 03-19-2003, 06:01 AM
aggie300zx

Thanks!

It's a Keyspan Digital Presentation Remote (USB)....the coolest part is that you can change it into Media mode which changes all of the buttons to work directly w/Windows Media Player (play, stop, pause, volume up, down, mute, next track, previous track, etc.)
Old 03-19-2003, 08:32 AM
ares
Veteran

Originally posted by Scafremon
What special (or just long) cables will we need?

VGA Cable?
Is it difficult to weave this large cable from computer to dash? Can/should we go with custom flat cables for this?

What about 'round' cables for hard drives and DVD drives? Are these round cables all show, or do they have a benefit?

While I wait for a screen, I'm anxious to have everything ready for it's arrival. Shop now, build later.
heres my experience the cable that comes with the screen is about 3inches too short to reach the back of my box, you might be able to reach depending on your exact routing of the cable and whatnot, but problably not. so you will need a very very short monitor cable extension and serial cable extension(if you have touchscreen) a foot would do, but chances are you wont find anything smaller than 6 feet.

the round cables are actually worse on interference, flat are better, round are just flat rolled up... I got flat and Im mounting computer in glove box, dvd in mailbox slot, you will find a small hole in the metal separating the 2 areas. the ends will fit through if you kinda feed them through at an angle, and then the cable rolls partially, but its fine. your going to need a 3 foot cable for this job, depending on where your 2 mounting points are, on mine it needed 3 feet, but Im using a different computer plan than any of you I think.

other cables you will need. if you are putting DVD in the mailbox slot, youll need an extension for the power cable. you also may want to mount a power switch somewhere other than the case... I did this direct from the motherboard and ran it to the ashtray, looks real nice, Ill get a picture of it later. you need a momentary on switch that is normally off. I know ace hardware sells one atleast.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:29 PM
ares
Veteran

well Im about calling it quits, no one can help me, xenarc tech help is a joke, and I can not get the touch screen to work.

so Im done, I dont know what else to do, Ive spent nearly 200friggin dollars trying to make that peice of **** work, I cant spend any more, Ive bought adaptors, connectors cables, everything, nothing will make it work.

I really dont know what else to do, I really cant say Im not going to finish it, cause I have nearly 1400$ invested into this crap. but it wont run, and I have no clue why.

of course, it doesnt help that everything is in such a tight spot, but thats not even the problem I have it all hooked up, but it still DOES NOT WORK!

I could have completed this project, and had a great time in about 2 days, but instead it has fought me everystep of the way, if it could go wrong, it did. I cant win. so Im bout to go into the garage, seal it up, and say **** it. Ill come back to it another day when I can afford to throw some more money at it.

(and I have asked this question to every forum I know of, as well as xenarc. no ones been able to help. I give up)
Old 03-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Heineken

Ares - sorry to hear about your screen. I've been following your progress, and that just sucks. Maybe take a break for a while and come back to it when your anger has subsided (I'm assuming your steaming mad, cause I would be).

Originally posted by akula13
hey guys not to throw a monkey wrench into the works but what about a LAPTOP computer mounted in the "glovebox"??? i used a dell ls laptop it has a built in video out 15 pin and a simple video out to tv converter and hooked it up to my alpine cva1003 i used a micro kbd 86key and a 6'extender kbd sits in the passengers door pocket and mouse lives in the center console. i have a wireless cellphone card in the laptop and can cruise the net if im boored also have gps attached to the serial port and viola cheap navigation. not saying its the best and the display is sometimes a bit hard to read but at 640x480 it works good enough for now. the next step is to get the telemetry from the ecu into the pc via high speed data aquisition.
Later
Akula
On another note, I like this idea Akula, don't know why I never thought of that before. Sure it's not permanent, but I don't think I could afford a laptop and a car PC at the same time. Happens I am in the market for a laptop now. Anyone know any deals? I'm going to keep watching FatWallet.Com for a deal. (Great site by the way, really lets you know about deals on everything).

Good luck Ares, I feel your pain!
Old 03-19-2003, 06:40 PM
all_bark

ares,

sorry to see hear all that bad luck you are having.

take a break, relax and hit it again down the road when you are clear minded once again.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

good luck.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:42 PM
ares
Veteran

well I was VERY mad, still unhappy, but I cannot work on it in the car, too tight. so I pulled out the center console with the screen and the computer, and am working on it.

reinstalled windows, didnt work.

Im now undecided who to call first, motherboard manufacturer, or xenarc. Im going to hook up the laptop again, I want to see the touchscreen work, 100%. not just detect and freeze, but control it with the touch screen. if I can do that, xenarc is out of the fire, and I can focus on the computer/OS/ something else not including xenarc.

Im also trying to find another serial port device, but I have not been able to do so yet. if I find one, I can try that, plug it in, if it works, then Im left with a compatability problem vs anything wrong with hardware.

just breath... dont break anything...
Old 03-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by akula13
hey guys not to throw a monkey wrench into the works but what about a LAPTOP computer mounted in the "glovebox"??? i used a dell ls laptop it has a built in video out 15 pin and a simple video out to tv converter and hooked it up to my alpine cva1003 i used a micro kbd 86key and a 6'extender kbd sits in the passengers door pocket and mouse lives in the center console. i have a wireless cellphone card in the laptop and can cruise the net if im boored also have gps attached to the serial port and viola cheap navigation. not saying its the best and the display is sometimes a bit hard to read but at 640x480 it works good enough for now. the next step is to get the telemetry from the ecu into the pc via high speed data aquisition.
Later
Akula
My initial idea was also to use a laptop computer. Have a docking station mounted in the car, peripherals hooked to that, and be able to take my system from car to house with ease. But after more thought, I felt it wasn't the best solution (at least for me) to get what I wanted.

I currently use a Dell Inspiron 8000 notebook computer as my main home (and work) computer. I realized that in no way would I want to subject this computer to the hazards of being run in car, from possible electrical damage, rough road damage, and theft. I would need to buy a second laptop to serve as my car computer, and if I did this, there would not be the same desire to need to have the computer easily removable from the car.

Secondly, I realized that I would still have to spend additional money on components, basically duplicating what I already had in the laptop: VGA screen, power supply, external DVD drive, etc. it became apparant that the primary function of the laptop would be the use of it's motherboard, ram, and hard drive. From a cost standpoint, it no longer seemed a benefit to using a laptop.

The laptop would basically reside in the car at all times. So the portability feature of docking a laptop would no longer be a factor.

I'd compare the laptop option to having a boom-box radio that you take from your house out to your car, because you don't have a radio in your car. If you already have a stereo in the house, might as well just leave the boom-box in the car. And if you can build the boom-box into the dash, and have a built in radio, even better!

From a cost standpoint, and from a feasibility standpoint, I think building the computer into the car is better then trying to make one computer serve both a house and car function. Just my opinion.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Scafremon

Ares:

I have confidence you will find and eliminate the 'bug' in the system. Do what you are doing; just keep eliminating devices as the possible problem. Go to that one junk box in the closet, and i'm sure you will find a serial/ps2 adaptor so you can check the serial port with a mouse.

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!