Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 03:47 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah, IBM desktop drives are notoriously bad in the last couple of years. I will never buy one from them again (which is easy, because they sold their HD division).

I don't know about the laptop drives, though. I just don't trust them in general.

As for your leaf blower fan, I'd recommend you get a heat sink that will allow an 80mm fan, then get a nice quiet, slower spinning one. For instance, I'm running an Alpha PAL 8045 with a 80 mm adjustable fan running at less than 3000RPM, and it cools much better than a lot of those 60 mm fans running at 7000rpm. My CPU rarely reaches 50 degrees C.

The thing to watch for, though, is to not get an overly large HSF, due to the weight. If not properly supported, you can break the processor socket off. I'd say bounces would increase that risk. Get one that will hold an 80mm fan, but that isn't too much of a hog.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:26 PM
SagZ

Actually they only had problems with the 75GXP series of drives... so stay away from those.... their laptop drives are very good, as well as all the other non-75GXP drives.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:32 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by SagZ
Actually they only had problems with the 75GXP series of drives... so stay away from those.... their laptop drives are very good, as well as all the other non-75GXP drives.
Wrong, the 60GXPs released after the 75 GXPs are crap, too. I've had both series fail. I've had friends lose both types (some multiple times).

I've got a 60GXP failing in this box right now giving me errors. It is a replacement for another that failed.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:42 PM
SagZ

Great.... I have one of those in my machine now.

time for a backup
Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I read that IBM desktop drives suck, but laptop drives are some of the best. not that it matters, I went with neither.

ZAI(Z Artificial Intelligence) is up and running win XP pro, had some hard drive problems which I read could be corrected by disabling internal and external cpu cache. then I swapped hard drives, and didnt switch the setting back, let me tell ya how SLLLOOOWWW that was, for reference it took approximatly 9 hours to install win XP, and I was just thinking my computer was screwed up. after it finished I switched it back, WHAM! it boots up in a touch under 25 seconds. pretty damn good.

tomarrow I begin the installation of the box into the car, I put in the screen today, since I had some time to fill with the 9 hour install and all.

and the following is pictures of it set up in the den, installing XP...
and some other various stuff.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest1.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 PM
ares
Veteran

the cage case
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest2.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 PM
ares
Veteran

close up of the box
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 07:43 PM
ares
Veteran

I need another cross post for the other side of the hard drive, its a bit unfinished as of yet, since I swapped hard drives before. also the cables need some cleaning, looks way too sloppy.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest4.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 07:44 PM
ares
Veteran

the money shot
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest5.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 07:45 PM
ares
Veteran

another money shot
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest6.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 07:48 PM
ares
Veteran

and this is the cases soon to be home, you can see the inverter on the side, itll be opposite the power supply so you can get a feel for which way the case is going in, tall side in the back to better fit the shape of the area.

the inverter also lets me power the monitor off AC, as well as a USB hub, which can work without power, but cannot power things that require alot of juice, mouse and keyboard are ok without extra power, camera and usb drive are not.

also there is a flip switch for the inverter, and a momentary switch for the computer both reccessed into the ashtray thing, so it can be closed and concealed, when I choose no portion of the computer is visable what so ever.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-newest7.jpg  
Old 03-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good ares!!

I wonder if you will really need the cage for the case.

Tell us how the Xenarc install went for you.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:13 PM
ares
Veteran

well the cage is mostly just for insurance, should anything fall down from the glove box below(tho I plan to seal it somehow to be sure that doesnt happen) it will protect the computer.

as for the xenarc... its damn flimsy without the case to be honest...the jack for the video plug broke. but I fixed it sorta. none the less, the plug will NOT stay in, that is why the dash isnt put back together yet. Im not sure if the plug is in. gotta hook the computer up and then look at it, see if its working, and then seal it up. I put some duct tape from the cable to the jack to try and keep it plugged in tight, but Im still not very happy with it.

other than that part, which of course Im not estatic over, the screen is awesome, looks real sharp and crisp. havent installed touchscreen drivers yet, but thats coming tomarrow.

you can tell they knew the case would be removed tho... inside there are various layers, with padding between the boards, the "pads" are double faced tape that hadnt been peeled on boths sides, so when I opened it up, I peeled it and stuck it together. worked like a charm. now Im trying to figure out how I can access the buttons, probably cant, but I might drill a hole so I can see the power LED. not sure yet.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:05 PM
ares
Veteran

I just wanted to quickly post up about

www.spysupply007.com

that is where I got my xenarc screen from. service was excellent, shipping was free and very prompt, they send it insured express mail.

if you decide to get a xenarc or anything else, be sure to check em out. they have my reccomendation.

the rest was from www.newegg.com which I also was pleased to do business with.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:41 AM
aggie300zx

Ahhh, can't wait to get to work on installing my stuff. The final piece arrives today (Xenarc screen)!!!!

I'm hoping to document everything I've done with pics, etc. over the weekend, then will post on my website. I'll post the link once I have it ready.

Of course there will be some teaser pics posted here as well!
Old 03-18-2003, 05:50 AM
abz123

Looking good ares.

Do you have a picture of the connectors (power, VGA, and composite on the back of that xenarc). Do you have the usb touchscreen?...Can you give a review of how the touchscreen works with programs like winamp, etc. when you get it running.

How's the screen look? Can you see small size text (font size 6-8) from about 3 feet away. Any dark shadows, etc. How's the color?
Old 03-18-2003, 12:43 PM
ares
Veteran

well to continue my luck with this project, the touch screen will not work, and the FM modulator literally burst into flames, smoke and little bits everywhere. my dad opened it up to get to the leads inside the cigerette lighter plugin, and I went to splice them into the power line. well they were the first MORONS Ive ever known to make black positive and red negative... my dad knew this but didnt know I was going to be ready for it. he only knew cause he saw the black portion going to the tip, and red to ground.

the computer is in the car, and is very disorganized, not happy with its current appearance, but it is ghetto rigged to work while I tested all the screen connections before sealing up the dash console. I loaded touchscreen drivers, and instead of getting touchscreen I lost all mouse use. so Im trying to fix it using only the keyboard... PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right now I must say I am very sorry I ever began this project. but I gotta go call xenarc and see if they can help me out.

as for reading the screen, its not particularly easy... but I dont even know what my resolution is at since I cant access that menu without a mouse, or dont know how. it is legable enough that Ive been able to use it. but its pretty damn small. color looks good, and suprisingly now boot up takes about 15 seconds.

oh and the inverter will not turn on when power is applied, it requires that ITS OWN switch be flipped on with current applied. so I have to rip that out, and open the case so I can remotely mount its damn switch.

if I dont burn the car to the ground Ill be pleasantly suprised.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:21 PM
ares
Veteran

tried a laptop on the screen, and it found the device, but promptly locked up. but it did find it... thats the key. so my serial port is lacking somehow.

as for resolution, just wanted to mention I couldnt imagine taking it past 800x600, thats what its on. not even so much due to visability but I would need smaller fingers to utilize the touch screen if it were any smaller.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:06 PM
akula13

hey guys not to throw a monkey wrench into the works but what about a LAPTOP computer mounted in the "glovebox"??? i used a dell ls laptop it has a built in video out 15 pin and a simple video out to tv converter and hooked it up to my alpine cva1003 i used a micro kbd 86key and a 6'extender kbd sits in the passengers door pocket and mouse lives in the center console. i have a wireless cellphone card in the laptop and can cruise the net if im boored also have gps attached to the serial port and viola cheap navigation. not saying its the best and the display is sometimes a bit hard to read but at 640x480 it works good enough for now. the next step is to get the telemetry from the ecu into the pc via high speed data aquisition.
Later
Akula
Old 03-18-2003, 03:50 PM
aggie300zx

Well, everything is here and ready to be installed. I thought I would post a teaser pic until I can get it installed this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0694.jpg  

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!