Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 07:16 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ares, have you tried to use a serial to usb adapter for the touchscreen? Did you download the latest touchscreen drivers from the Xenarc site? Last try to change the serial port speed. What OS are your running? I didn't have any problems using it in Win2K (and I'm using a mouse too).

Try those and see if that helps.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:50 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I did try a usb adaptor, no luck thus far, but the computer was in the car, so it was tight, didnt really get into it. I will try it again tho.

I did try the laptop again, it locates the touchscreen, and then freezes. when I restart, it never even loads, just freezes. I have to start in safe mode and delete it. I cant totally go at it, because the laptop is my dads work computer, so breaking it would not be good.

Im hunting for a serial mouse. but have had no luck yet, eventually I will tho.

I did reinstall xp to work that angle, but no dice. my next plan is to take it back to another version I have lying around the house, I dont know what version that will be yet, might be 98, 2000, me, I dont know, dont really care, if it works Ill be on the phone with xenarc inquiring about xp compatability, tho they say it does work.

it may be something as simple as needing the service pack. if I must, Ill use 2000 untill drivers are made xp compatable. however if I can set up the computer and make it work without failure using any other version, I can install the system into the car, use it and say good job ares, there is nothing wrong with your hardware setup. but untill I can do that, I cant install the system into the car and be done with it. I have to know that the touchscreen and computer are capable of working properly, regaurdless of what my software says.

the clock is ticking.... after this weekend this car has to be usable, be it by removing it all and putting it on a very long hold till the next break, or completing the job.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:36 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M10000 review

Here is a good review of the M10000 chip and associated MB, if you haven't seen it.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:37 AM
ares
Veteran

post deleted: Ill explain later.

Last edited by ares; 03-20-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:04 PM
abz123

That's terrible Ares. Thanks for the heads up...I was considering one...Actually had one order but they were out of stock so I cancelled.

Did you talk to spysupply about it? What did they say?

This a link to EELY site...

http://www.eelyecw.com/eelyeng/productline/ito.htm

Think they manufacture the touchscreens...A guy posted this link on mp3car.com and said they sell the units for $39 and might be willing to sell indivdual units.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:17 PM
ares
Veteran

yes eely is the maker of the touchscreens, its their software that you get as well. Im pretty sure xenarc does not make the lcd either, just packages them... other than that, you havent heard anything...

nothing to see here...
Old 03-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ares
other than that, you havent heard anything...

nothing to see here...
I leave the office for lunch, and I miss out ???

Old 03-20-2003, 02:35 PM
ares
Veteran

I gotta get another screen it will most likely be another xenarc screen, and it will be from spysupply, except this time the computer is built, and the screen will be FULLY tested before I touch the thing to install it.

the screens seem to either come solid, or not, they dont break later, its a now or never thing from my reading. so I guess if you order one, and it works, your set, but be prepared for it not to work, dont take your car apart in preporation for it, and sure as hell dont take the screen apart and then test it.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:03 PM
dmazyn

Sorry to hear about your problems with the screen. No issues with mine, but I did test it with a laptop before even touching it. I did have to secure the connection on the back of the monitor with some tape to keep it from moving around.

One thing they need to fix is build that connection a hell of a lot stronger.

Danny
Old 03-20-2003, 06:33 PM
aggie300zx

Quick question, how is everyone hooking up their screen for power?

Are you just cutting of the power supply plug, splitting the two wires, determining positive/negative wires, then splicing them into the same ones used for the Headunit?

I'm installing my Xenarc and Auto PC this weekend, so I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I started pulling stuff apart.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-20-2003, 07:14 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by ares
well Im about calling it quits, no one can help me, xenarc tech help is a joke, and I can not get the touch screen to work.

so Im done, I dont know what else to do, Ive spent nearly 200friggin dollars trying to make that peice of **** work, I cant spend any more, Ive bought adaptors, connectors cables, everything, nothing will make it work.

I really dont know what else to do, I really cant say Im not going to finish it, cause I have nearly 1400$ invested into this crap. but it wont run, and I have no clue why.

of course, it doesnt help that everything is in such a tight spot, but thats not even the problem I have it all hooked up, but it still DOES NOT WORK!

I could have completed this project, and had a great time in about 2 days, but instead it has fought me everystep of the way, if it could go wrong, it did. I cant win. so Im bout to go into the garage, seal it up, and say **** it. Ill come back to it another day when I can afford to throw some more money at it.

(and I have asked this question to every forum I know of, as well as xenarc. no ones been able to help. I give up)
Just let me know when you are ready to buy one of my units!!!
All power problems Solved Just waiting on the shut down Controllers to come in, and do the external DVD-Rom. Then my units will be ready to Ship!!! I have not Played with the touch screen yet so i can't help you there.

Last edited by chazzg; 03-20-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:53 PM
ares
Veteran

yeah luckily the computer portion of my system is finished, actually so is all of my wiring and all of my instalation, I just have to slide the pc into the prefitted area, make the connections to the wires that are already there, and put in the screen. assuming the new screen and computer hook up without trouble, Im all set.

I powered mine off the ac adaptor, but thats easy for me to say I have an inverter in the car already. the suppy is 12volts (11-24) at 1amp. so you should be fine to tap into any power supply you want, I personally did a dedicated line from the battery since I may want the computer to remain on when the ACC power is off. just something to consider.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:37 PM
aggie300zx

I'll add more pics and details tomorrow...but here is a teaser pick of my Auto PC install with the Xenarc!

Guess what's playing in the dvd-rom drive???
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-img_0741.jpg  
Old 03-22-2003, 03:46 PM
aggie300zx

Ok, so I'm having a little trouble with the Xenarc screen. First off, the main connector on the back of the unit SUX! Right now it's about as securely fastened as it's going to get.

Here are my issues....after connecting it up (positive to headunit 12v Ignition/ACC lead and negative to ground on the car), it worked fine for about the first 15 minutes of driving home, then the screen started to flicker, appear to lose signal and/or turn off/on. I'm sure if it's not getting the right power, ground, or the damn video connector is still causing problems.

Any thoughts from people that have installed the Xenarc screen? Did I hook it up wrong? Also, I'm getting the scrolling horizontal lines on the screen as well...I tried the negative lead to the headunit ground and then tried grounding directly to the car and still have the line? Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:47 PM
ares
Veteran

I would find it EXTREMELY likely that your problems are caused by that connector, as you obviously know the connecter is weak as hell. I tried just taping it, but didnt do a very good job, never tested it with real driving situations.

Id say get some duct tape, and put it all the way around it and the connector so it cant move. another bit more drastic option would be superglue, it is actually an insulator, but still, that would never come apart, so might be a bad option.

perhaps hot glue? easier to remove and should hold it tight... also an insulator, so dont have to worry.

one question tho I guess, is the screen losing power, or just turning off? it turns off when the signal is lost. so you have to be sure if its a power problem or a signal problem.

if its a power problem, that could be anything I guess, your power source should be fine, be sure the connection to the wire is solid. the screen pulls like 8 watts, so over powering that wire shouldnt be a concern...
Old 03-22-2003, 08:08 PM
aggie300zx

I'm pretty sure it's the video connector because when it flickers on and off, it recognizes and displays the resolution for a second, so it is never losing power, just the video signal....

I'm tempted to take it to a TV, PC Monitor repair place to see if they can make a better connector on it.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:28 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Ok, so I'm having a little trouble with the Xenarc screen. First off, the main connector on the back of the unit SUX! Right now it's about as securely fastened as it's going to get.

Here are my issues....after connecting it up (positive to headunit 12v Ignition/ACC lead and negative to ground on the car), it worked fine for about the first 15 minutes of driving home, then the screen started to flicker, appear to lose signal and/or turn off/on. I'm sure if it's not getting the right power, ground, or the damn video connector is still causing problems.

Any thoughts from people that have installed the Xenarc screen? Did I hook it up wrong? Also, I'm getting the scrolling horizontal lines on the screen as well...I tried the negative lead to the headunit ground and then tried grounding directly to the car and still have the line? Thoughts?
The lines in your screen are probably due to the fact you are using an AC to DC inverter. I have the same problem on my 7"LCD. Try turning the AC to DC inverter off with the screen on and see if you still have the lines. If the lines are still there, with the inverter OFF, then you know that it is probably a ground loop or signal noise to your screen, and you will probably have to get a floating ground to fix the problem. It could be your connector, but I don't think so. When I get my shut down controllers in and get the computer hard wired without using the inverter, the lines should go away if that is the problem. Also, you need to check how much power the screen requires. You may need to run a direct lead off your battery. If the screen is shutting down or having trouble running while the car is on, the chances are that your amp and other accessories are pulling too much power, thus not getting enough power to your screen.

Scott, I do not have to leave for work until 6:00pm(Sun night), so give me a call and we will hook up and work on it. My AEM CAI should be in Thursday, so if you want to get together and help me install it, let me know.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:13 AM
aggie300zx

I will give you a ring Chazz, because I'm definetly going to work on the screen some more today.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:10 AM
ares
Veteran

I had an inverter and it was actually POWERING the screen, but never had any lines, now just to be sure the screen does put out lines when it changes resolutions, just momentarily while it switches, but if its a fixed resolution, then I didnt get any lines.

also I had the computer running, probably drawing twice as much current as all of you ( have the atx Mobo), for an hour, then cranked the car WITH the computer on, the inverter beeped, which it does when the voltage goes under 10.5, but didnt turn off, and the screen never flickered.

Im definitly gonna have to say its the connector. glue, tape, new harness, get whatever you can to keep it on there; you know itd be a PITA if 2 months down the road the connector slowly falls off and then you gotta pull the unit out to reattach it.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:33 AM
aggie300zx

Yeah, I pretested everything (PC and Screen) running off the AC Inverter w/car running before I installed anything. Now, the screen has the lines when tapped into the HU power/ground. But that is really a mute issue until I can figure out a solution to the damn video connector.

I'm about to hook up with Chazz and see if we can't come up with a solution.

If nothing will work, then I am going to take it to a professional and see if they can't put a better connector on there.

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!