Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent an email to the company that makes(?) that plug-in DC connector for non-M series epia ( link , and they replied as follows:

Jeff,

If you can wait 1 month or so we will be coming out with a power adaptor for the EPIA-M that will snap into the motherboard's ATX connector, much like the PW-60, but different form factor. In about 2 months we will be coming out with a car regulator (9-18V) that will be connected to the PW-60 or PW-70.

---

Not sure what the PW-70 is, but maybe the new connector has a few more watts. The regulator also sounds like sommething we might be interested in.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by ares
gonna be tough to find a ac-dc converter to convert 60watts dont ya think?

might be easier to just buy a regular power supply, you can get a cheap one for 35$, probably less than 2 ac-dc converters, then plug it into where the dc supplies were and go for it. might take a bit longer to plug in rather than just 2 plugs for the dc converters, but its much cheaper, and how often will you be bringing the PC inside to do work on it?
Easy to find actually. You get one with the Casetronics case for the epia M board. That case, including the adaptor is about $75.

I'm not sure how often I will be bringing the PC in. Could be quite often. If I want to fiddle with settings, install software, transfer files, I might want to do it while inside the house. But maybe not. I guess I would just like to make it as easy as possible to be able to do this, if in fact it becomes something that I need to do regularly.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:36 AM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so after looking at all the options (emailing companies), this is my plan on the power supply issue...

Hopefully I can keep things simple on my Auto PC and just use the Casetronic case/60 watt power supply plugged into an inverter for now.

Then in mid April Opus Solutions is releasing exactly what we need...OPUS ITX DC-DC power supply for automotive application. This thing is going to rock! It is 90 watts (plenty to cover additional USB devices, etc.) and will connect up just like an amp (power/ignition). As you will see by the specs, it will stay on even when you restart the car (like when running in the store, etc.) and has settable shutoff times after the car is turned off. The cost is a little high at $150, but for me this would be the final piece to make this setup the way I want it!

Web site: www.opussolutions.com (it's not on their site yet)

Preliminary specifications for the OPUS ITX- DC-DC Power supply

Projected release date: Mid April.
Projected street cost: $150 each approximately

Application: To power ATX, uATX, Flex ATX and ITX mother boards in an automotive environment.

General features: Ignition/ On/OFF input, Shutdown control,
Delayed shutdown timer : 20 min, 40 min or 1hr. jumper configurable.
Low battery shutdown to protect battery from deep discharge.
More detailed specifications will be released soon

Optional features: will be announced soon.

INPUT
Input Voltage: 7 to 18V DC or 18 to 30VDC
Power control input: Ignition / ON/OFF in put terminal

OUTPUT
Total output power : 90W max. continues load
+5V @ 6A, +3.3V @ 6A, +12V @ 2.5A, +5V Stby @ 2A, -12V @ 0.2A

Printed circuit Board dimensions: 170mm (D) x 78mm (W) x 19 mm (H)
Old 03-14-2003, 07:18 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Sounds nice. I wonder why they don't go ahead and make them, say, 150W. I'd even pay extra for that. They headroom would be a good thing, IMO.

I think my plan to wait a month or so before starting will be a good thing
Old 03-14-2003, 08:11 AM
aggie300zx

Look at their site they already have a 150watt version of it that will work..the price is $190
Old 03-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Scafremon

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Look at their site they already have a 150watt version of it that will work..the price is $190
It appears though that there are problems using the current 150w PS with the Epia M9000. They have also been promising this new PS for awhile - due date has changed from I think originally January. Hope April stays firm.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:12 AM
aggie300zx

Gotcha, yeah the last email I had from them said mid-March, the latest one said mid-April...so who knows.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:21 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went out and bought everything I need, but realize, this whole slim dvd thing is damn near impossible to do!

where did you guys get your dvd roms from? and what kind of converters did you need to make them work on the desktop mobo?

Im off to the garage to install everything except the dvd rom... should be interesting. I also need an OS still.... tricky tricky tricky...
Old 03-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Scafremon

where did you guys get your dvd roms from? and what kind of converters did you need to make them work on the desktop mobo?
The website I bought my DVD drive from doesn;t have any more listed. I think this link has the converter you need however.

I thought you had an OS from your dad's computer (mp3car.com post)
Old 03-14-2003, 02:09 PM
ares
Veteran

shhhh!!! hehe

were sketchy on that, it is, but I used it on my computer already, we think it can be used for 2 computers tho, 1house, 1mobile per copy. if not... uhhh, hehehehe

anyway, this is possibly the hardest BIGGEST pain in the *** job Ive ever undertaken, Im taking pictures of it all, but their WAY to big to host on here, so your gonna have to wait a lil bit for me to figure out a way to resize them.

we have pulled out almost every panel on the interior of the car. and they were all jigsawed together to make it damn near impossible.

we did find the adaptor for the hard drive at a store.

right now we are fabricating a case from aluminum, should look real nice. we also have 4 fans ready to go.

for those curious, when you remove enough panels, you will notice there there is TONS of space behind the glove box, that is actually under the trunk floor. we are using IT ALL. should come out nicely.

sadly UPS has screwed me over and there is no screen as of yet at 6:10, so I dont think its coming... meaning Ill have to wait till monday for it. quite a pain in the ****.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:50 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Try ebay for the slim DVDs. There are some in the $30s right now.

I think I'd really just try to find a slot loaded regular sized black drive, myself, if I was mounting it in the slots between the seats.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:56 PM
aggie300zx

Be careful with some of the ones on ebay because the adapter won't work on a lot of those (i.e. they have proprietary connections, that will only work on Dell, Compaq, etc.)
Old 03-14-2003, 04:03 PM
ares
Veteran

Im pretty positive that a regular drive will not take the slightest bump in the car without skipping. I was under the impression that a slim drive would...

did I assume something wrong here?

as for my PC, using a all the space below the glove box, and the mailbox slot, I will be fitting a full sized PC in while only taking up about half of the glove box space, referance I cut the glove box in half right down that seam that runs around it. and thats the planned top of the computer level, then sit the false bottom on it, and its done. the case itself is a box of jointed L-peices of aluminum, with aluminum checkerboard on bottom, and a aluminum mesh on front(between the bottom of the door and the bottom of the new glove box) the front is mesh to allow air to pass through into the computer case via 2 80mm case fans mounted into the glove box door. then from there the air will pass over the computer, and up a series of holes drilled into a semi partitioning peice of metal, and above that metal is where the mailbox slot is located. the back end of the glove box will be cut off, so the circulation moves over the DVD rom, and then from there it will exit via another 2 fans blowing air into the trunk.

all is progressing along nicely if only the screen had come... eventually you will all see some pictures. but I can tell ya this, my design is not for the mechanically challenged, I hadnt planned on this being a quarter of the difficulty its turned out to be, and without 2 people and a service manual dare I say impossible? but in the end I hope to have a fully expandable computer including 3 USB ports on the computer, and another 4 in a remote hub mounted in the mailbox slot, 4 pci card slots, full graphics, 512mb memory and 40gig hard drive. basicly a damn good desktop package fitting into a car taking up no more space than the via computer would without all the custom work.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:39 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I think I'd give a regular drive a try, based on some of the high prices for the other stuff. I think the slot loaders might be more stable, but I'm not sure. Pioneer used to have one, but just browsing around, they are harder to come by these days.

Worse case is if you can't get it to work, you've spent $35 on a drive you can use on another system
Old 03-14-2003, 08:18 PM
ares
Veteran

good point... only draw back is that my planned setup has a panel in which the drive is to be mounted... I guess Ill have to test the dvd drive first and if I find it satisfactory Ill cut the drive into the panel.

I think outloud alot on here if you guys havent noticed, half the stuff I type Im sure you could care less, I just type it as I think about it so I go through ideas.

oh please mr postman BRING ME MY DAMN SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 07:31 AM
all_bark

Im pretty positive that a regular drive will not take the slightest bump in the car without skipping. I was under the impression that a slim drive would...

did I assume something wrong here?.......

all is progressing along nicely if only the screen had come... eventually you will all see some pictures. but I can tell ya this, my design is not for the mechanically challenged, I hadnt planned on this being a quarter of the difficulty its turned out to be, and without 2 people and a service manual dare I say impossible? but in the end I hope to have a fully expandable computer including 3 USB ports on the computer, and another 4 in a remote hub mounted in the mailbox slot, 4 pci card slots, full graphics, 512mb memory and 40gig hard drive. basicly a damn good desktop package fitting into a car taking up no more space than the via computer would without all the custom work.
So what is the toughest part you are encountering? Trying to build that "perfect" car PC or trying to fit/install it into the Z?

Just curious because if it's the design of the incar PC, I have help with that (Chazzg) but if its the install , well, I will then be asking for all kinds of help when I get to that!

Good luck ares, you are a pioneer/trooper/hell of a guy!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:12 AM
ares
Veteran

naw size and fitting is easy as pie, I really need to take a picture and somehow post it foryou guys, the size on the sides, bottom and back of the glove box is HUGE. only size related problem Im having is that the cpu fan and HS I chose is pretty tall, and I dont want to increase the whole hight of the case just for that one section... if that makes any sense, but I have a few ideas for that.

disassembling the car is a PITA!!! to remove the section for the screen you have to pull up the area around the shifter, ans to run the wire for the computer to the dash you need to pull up the center console, then removing the area for the nav so you can install it, yowsers. one big puzzle. even with a service manual some things are in the way of others...

as for my idea of tapping into the system internally, took one look at the case and chose to cut my losses and settle with a modulator, opening that up is not something I think I am qualified to do.

on the bright side, if a theif can steal a stock HU out of the Z he deserves to have the damn thing.

no special tools are needed other than a rag, and flat and star head screwdriver. a little prying here, some prying there, and its off. just gotta take care to not break anything... hard to tell when your forcing something and when your just releasing the stubborn little clip.

oh, anyone have a mailbox slot they wanna sell me? hehe, it didnt survive. all the clips broke off, be careful with them... looks like Ill be ghettorigging that one back in.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:48 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I've had my center console out just looking around, and I thought getting to the HU was pretty easy. I followed the "Scafremon" instructions
Old 03-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by MannishBoy
I've had my center console out just looking around, and I thought getting to the HU was pretty easy. I followed the "Scafremon" instructions
Thanks for the plug Mannishboy.

Since today is a rainout, I decided to check out where I plan to install my computer - the sub void. I took a bunch of pics of how to go about removing that woofer-mount located in the compartment behind the driver's seat. Attached is the end result picture.

I think this dead area is a good spot for locating the computer, or even for duplicating the glove box that is behind the passenger seat (I have a quote request in to Courtesy for the parts required to do this). For those needing dimensions, the area is approx 27"W x 17"D x 10"H.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p3150020.jpg  
Old 03-15-2003, 07:29 PM
ares
Veteran

didnt see scarfremons how to, haha that may have helped. owell, too late for that.

anyway, screen was deliverd today but wasnt around to sign for it. so I gotta wait till monday and go pick it up. no biggie cause Im not ready for it yet still. currently making the case.

I can not host pictures on this site, and their too big for me to host on here. so here is a link to a random thread on www.clubsi.com where I can host full sized pictures for free. lots of angles of everything I could think so. along with a bunch of car show pictures.

and before anyone asks, yes that is 16copies of the run . we'll begin the bidding at 5$ + shipping . gotta recoup the costs of this install somehow.

tomarrow I finish the case, shouldnt be too much longer, there was some extra cost for the case, but its an all aluminum case, always good for weight, made from diamond plate metal and like a grate type, the solid plate was for the bottom to mount the mobo to, and also a strip up the side to support the powersupply and hard drive. the rest is the grate material so while the computer is all selfenclosed and protected, it has full air flow in and out of the case. letting me vent the AREA that the case is in, and not worry about venting the case as well.

so so close... also Im looking into getting a small amp, that will act as a preamp similiar to what I believe is inside the head unit, then splice into the leads going to the first external amp, letting me play directly into it without tampering with the inside of the headunit. volume will then be a seperate thing, rather than having 2 volumes, one on the comp and one on the headunit... this is still sketchy at best... but I really want to come up with a better way to do this than the fm modulator.

if this all works out as I hope, I may even custom build PCs made to fit into the Z with minimum loss of space, and with as much expandability as you wish. just have to figure out if my final product is something Im willing try to sell or not. let me know how it sounds and if anyones interested and Ill see what I can do. seeing how my computer has just about anything and everything I dont think there is a single limitation in my design, ANYTHING I want I can have.

sorry the link

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...&o=&fpart=&vc=

some pictures of my components at the beginning, and pics of the car at the end, nothing is installed into the car yet tho, only disassembled in preporation.

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!