Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

In Car PC Building your own!! Links!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:13 AM
aggie300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those running Windows 2000 or XP you might find the information listed on the site helpful. It outlines some the services on your PC, which ones you can diasble to free memory and boot-up speed. Use at your own risk!

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm
Old 03-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pioneer Slot Load DVD Player, new, $67.00, free shipping

Here

I've sent them an email to see if they have the black bezel.

I also found the black bezel one here . It says $89, but when you add to cart, it goes in at $69.00
Old 03-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Scafremon

Hmmm...found same one here for $44.00

Wonder if there is some problem with these units. I know they aren't slim, but I think that's ok. I would probably mount this in the mail slot.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:20 PM
aggie300zx

FYI..I found that my slim dvd-rom drive would not work properly using a 34" IDE cable, but did work fine with a 24" cable. Just something to keep in mind when remotely mouting the drive. I think the 24" will be long enough for remote mounting.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by aggie300zx
FYI..I found that my slim dvd-rom drive would not work properly using a 34" IDE cable, but did work fine with a 24" cable. Just something to keep in mind when remotely mouting the drive. I think the 24" will be long enough for remote mounting.
I haven't read the complete thread yet, but it appears people are getting DVD drives working with 15' IDE cables!

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ht=15+foot+IDE
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-212327_125_full.jpg  
Old 03-16-2003, 04:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its DONE!!!!

for size referance, look in your glove box, youll see a seam going around the middle. thats where the bottom of my glove box is now.

of course "done" only means the box, Im about to boot it up and install XP, not even sure if I can boot it since I am missing a power button, gonna just jump the connectors to jump start it.

I get the screen tomarrow at 9AM. install, and then there will be pics galore.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Scafremon

Whoo Hoo!!

Can't wait to see pics Ares!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Scafremon

I started another thread where I'm hoping we can discuss the GPSoptions for our systems. The thread is here
Old 03-16-2003, 06:56 PM
ares
Veteran

DOH!!! I booted it up, and what do I find? it cant find my hard drive!!! I would imagine I need jumpers on it somewhere, but I have none on there, mainly cause I have NO instructions or anything on jumper settings. there are 4 prongs that are neglected by the adaptor which I assume to be jumper plug prongs, but I need to know what goes where before I can start pluggin jumpers on it.

Im also a bit sketchy on which side goes up on the adaptor, it fits both ways of course...

oooo so close.... I can taste it.

by the way, my cpu fan sounds like a 747 taking off, with a mix of F15 afterburners.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:05 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by ares
DOH!!! I booted it up, and what do I find? it cant find my hard drive!!! I would imagine I need jumpers on it somewhere, but I have none on there, mainly cause I have NO instructions or anything on jumper settings. there are 4 prongs that are neglected by the adaptor which I assume to be jumper plug prongs, but I need to know what goes where before I can start pluggin jumpers on it.

Im also a bit sketchy on which side goes up on the adaptor, it fits both ways of course...

oooo so close.... I can taste it.

by the way, my cpu fan sounds like a 747 taking off, with a mix of F15 afterburners.
I'm sure you've tried the website for the manuf of the drive for jumper settings? Or google? Aren't IDE cables still keyed to go on one way?

Is that good that your fan sounds like jets?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:27 PM
ares
Veteran

looked online, and found that no jumpers is master, so I guess that was ok.

as for the going on one way, yeah you would expect so. except the adaptor I got has all 40 pins... nice of em yeah? luckily the cable I have also has all 40 pins. which makes it near impossible to tell side from side. I think either my power hookup is incorrect, or my adaptor is just a peice of crap... hopefully its nothing like the hard drive isnt compatable with the rest of the computer...
Old 03-16-2003, 07:30 PM
ares
Veteran

oh and yeah its nice to have over 100cfm of air going over a massive copper heatsink on your CPU, but its gonna be questionable if I need to dynomat my glove box so I dont hear it.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Scafremon

The adaptor that I got with my slim DVD also had all 40 pins, except that they had bent one down to fit the IDE cable.

Unfortunately they bent down the wrong pin, which caused me some confusion for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails In Car PC Building your own!! Links!-p1010005.jpg  
Old 03-16-2003, 07:35 PM
ares
Veteran

ah lucky, you can use the other side. Im gonna go tinker a bit and take some pictures. which then Ill struggle to resize so I can post them here.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:46 PM
SagZ

FYI the red strip on the IDE ribbon cable always faces pin 1. From the photo of the DVD drive looks like the pin 1 is to the right... hope this helps. Notice you can see pin 2 labled on the pcb. pin 1 is above that.

Last edited by SagZ; 03-16-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:10 PM
ares
Veteran

oh haha, was wondering how the pic you posted before was helping, thought you were just posting for fun.

but yeah, at this point Im pretty sure Ive gotten the drive hooked up properly, but none the less, its not booting, refuses to recognize that there is a drive attached. dont have a clue why.

tried a jumper setting, but no help. I cant even listen to see if the drive is even in motion since the airport next door has some planes landing. it really is loud, like loud where you have to turn up the TV to hear over it. Im a bit concerned about that...
Old 03-16-2003, 08:22 PM
ares
Veteran

I KNOW Im speaking too soon, but it is recognizing BOTH the hard drive AND dvd rom. which means FOR ME!!!

but I need a keyboard now, so Im outa here, gotta steal this one.

and Im back, got as far as installing XP, the very first screen and it stops, dont have a damn clue why, Id say over heat, but that seems unlikely, it had been running for all of 5 minutes, and has no solid case on it, a 100cfm fan blowing on the CPU, and a pretty damn strong case fan generally blowing on the rest of the computer, but it froze there for reasons eluding me. and then when I rebooted it, it keeps freezing on the start up, same place, when it tries to find pci stuff I think? dont think it has anything to do with that, just where its getting stopped.

Last edited by ares; 03-16-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:43 AM
ares
Veteran

I have a bad hard drive
fujitsu
Old 03-17-2003, 08:24 AM
abz123

Overheating will cause all kinds of weird problems.

A high speed Athlon can overheat in 5 minutes easy...

I love Athlons...and that's all I run as desktops. The are fast, but put out a ton of heat. My fastest one has 8 fans in it total (The thing sounds like a jet and has to be placed in another room)

As a test, I unplugged the processor fan from one of my slower ones one time just to test it and got like blue screen of death and then it couldn't read from the cd drive, and couldn't read from harddrive. Symtoms made you think everything was wrong with the computer. All kinds of weird 'chit'. Works fine with fan plugged back in.

Maybe you have a air circulation problem...How small is the case... Maybe cutting holes on both ends and putting in case fans on both ends to pull the hot air out.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:36 AM
ares
Veteran

there is no "case" its just a frame, and the outside is made of a mesh metal grate, but that isnt even currently on the case, so its wide open for now. I also have that huge fan on the chip, and 2 case fans blowing around it.

it all seems to be very cool, a huge breeze all over the board. but it stalls at DMI pool in the startup, which all the places Ive seen say that you should remove peripherals peice by peice to find the faulty party. removed dvd, still no worky, remove hard drive, and it boots right up, well it boots as far as it can before xp install realizes there is no hard drive...

Im just returning it after seeing that fujitsu HD are crap, and going to get the IBM drive.

Scratch that, I bought a 40gig 7200RPM 8mb cache with my original order, I didnt know I needed a laptop drive. well Im reading at mp3car.com and while they say a laptop drive can be more resiliant, many are running 3.5" drives. so Im gonna use what I already own, rather then return it, pay 15% restocking, and then have to wait another week to get another slow drive. if the 3.5" drive breaks, it has a very long warrenty, and I doubt they can tell it was used in a car, nor does the warrenty say it cant be used in a car.

Last edited by ares; 03-17-2003 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: In Car PC Building your own!! Links!