Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

CarPC Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:48 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts
Default CarPC Diagram

I put this together when planning my CarPC setup. Please note that I already have a full audio setup (Head Unit, 4CH and mono amps, capacitor).

I also have the factory navigation (Track w/Nav), which I will be replacing with a touchscreen for the CarPC. I dont plan to fully gut the factory navigation, however, in case I ever need to return to stock.

One question: Will the 2003-2004 non motorized nav cubby fit an aftermarket touchscreen, or do I need to replace this with the non-nav cubby?

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question: Will the 2003-2004 non motorized nav cubby fit an aftermarket touchscreen
Yes. up to 7". BTW, you're missing a converter for your PSU to the car battery.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:06 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by Bubble
Yes. up to 7". BTW, you're missing a converter for your PSU to the car battery.
I don't think he is running a converter, most likely a DC/DC PSU.

On that note, you need to add a wire to the PSU for on/off, either switched from accessory and/or a switch, so you can control the CPU power. I have mine on a relay so it can come on with acc or without. The without turns on the whole audio system so I don't need a key to watch movies or listen to music, etc.

Chris
Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
guitman32

Thanks Bubble. Good to know that I dont need to source out another cubby for the screen.

HyperSprite is right...i am planning to run a DC/DC PSU, most likely the M2-ATX or the DSATX depending on my power requirements. Good call on the Acc wire to the PSU! I will add this shortly!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've asked this before, but never got an answer. How much would installation cost? (mounting Touchscreen, PC, and running wire/cables)?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Nice diagram, My setup I am working on currently isnt far off minus the whole stereo equipment setup!

I am sufficiently happy with the BOSE.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by MI 35th
Nice diagram, My setup I am working on currently isnt far off minus the whole stereo equipment setup!

I am sufficiently happy with the BOSE.
So are you just connecting the audio to the Bose using something similar to PAC AAI-NIS2? (Non-Bose, that would be AUX-NISS). Let me know how it sounds!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
guitman32

BhashaZ: I am not sure how much installation costs would run you, since I do the work myself, but I can tell you that I think it would be similar to the cost of the installation of amps, head unit and sub at a good shop. This is assuming you are simply installing a ready-built CarPC and touch screen and your install required minimal fabrication (you shouldn’t need much custom fab, unless as specifically ask for it)

My reasoning is as follows:

1. Mounting the CarPC is similar to mounting an amp
2. Wiring the CarPC for power is exactly the same as doing so for an amp (assuming you are using a DC/DC PSU – i.e. no inverter), requiring wire run from the battery to the PSU, and grounding the CarPC to the chassis.
3. Installation of the touch screen is akin to wiring/mounting an aftermarket head unit.

For interfacing with your Bose head unit, I think you are correct in using the PAC AAI-NIS2 to go from the soundcard out into the AUX in for your Base head unit. Once I have it wired and good to go I will certainly let you know how it sounds!!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

have you considered skipping the deck and using a sound card?

I looked into doing a Carpc for that reason alone. Some of the soundblaster cards have 6 channel time alignment and plenty of features. It would also simplifiy the installation to some extent.

The only thing I can think of that you would gain from having an HU is playing CDs on the fly and crossover settings.

I would think the point of the carputer would be to not need any CDs ever again. Crossover settings can be set with stand alone units or on the amps themselves.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:02 PM
guitman32

Bypassing the head unit is what originally turned me on to the idea of CarPCs. Being a tech guy, I was enamored by the idea of bypassing the "inferior" head unit and using the PC as the central “brain” of my Z. After a bit of research on mp3car.com, I realized there are some benefits (at least in my case) to retaining the head unit. I think my decision would have been different (i.e. bypass a head unit altogether) had I not already had one installed. The benefits I identified are as follows:

1. Retaining the H/U crossovers. I know I could use the amplifier crossovers, but I like having X-over adjustability on-the-fly depending on what music I am listening to.

2. Retaining the H/U EQ and time correction. Honestly, I haven’t researched sound cards for time correction capabilities, and I am sure they have them, but the Alpine interface is native to me.

3. Retaining convenient AM/FM radio and CD functionality, without having to mount a CD drive in-dash. When I buy CDs, I like to pop them in and listen right away, as opposed to popping them in the CD drive behind the seat, ripping the CD, and then adding them to my playlists, and finally cueing them up on the PC.

4. Pre-amp voltage. Again, I am sure high quality sound cards have decent pre-out voltage, but since I already have the Alpine installed, I might as well retain it.

5. Redundancy. In case the CarPC goes down for some reason, I can still listen to tunes until I troubleshoot and fix the problem.

Thats all I can think of right now, and again, I think my decision could have been different had I not already installed the audio.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:16 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by guitman32
BhashaZ: I am not sure how much installation costs would run you, since I do the work myself, but I can tell you that I think it would be similar to the cost of the installation of amps, head unit and sub at a good shop. This is assuming you are simply installing a ready-built CarPC and touch screen and your install required minimal fabrication (you shouldn’t need much custom fab, unless as specifically ask for it)

My reasoning is as follows:

1. Mounting the CarPC is similar to mounting an amp
2. Wiring the CarPC for power is exactly the same as doing so for an amp (assuming you are using a DC/DC PSU – i.e. no inverter), requiring wire run from the battery to the PSU, and grounding the CarPC to the chassis.
3. Installation of the touch screen is akin to wiring/mounting an aftermarket head unit.

For interfacing with your Bose head unit, I think you are correct in using the PAC AAI-NIS2 to go from the soundcard out into the AUX in for your Base head unit. Once I have it wired and good to go I will certainly let you know how it sounds!!
Thanks! That makes sense to me. I'll start looking around since I would like to get this down during July or so.