Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Can you provide your own radio to the installer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
dcmidnight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you provide your own radio to the installer?

OK its a stupid question but I've had stock radios for 10 years so forgive me.

I've been recommended to an isntall shop by folks here that quoted me a price on the Z1 unit @ $800 above what I can get it through a couple of other outlets that have been noted here. I would like the shop to do the install, along with 3 or 4 of the add-ons, but is it considered bad form to provide the radio for them to install?

Just dont want to look like a buffoon by asking them.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Yeah, you can do that. They will usually charge you a little more for the work.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
bbhiznors

yeah they like it when you buy their product...but they will still install it ...some profit is better than no profit
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 AM
jdohman

Originally Posted by bbhiznors
yeah they like it when you buy their product...but they will still install it ...some profit is better than no profit
Not always when it comes to a customer bringing you his own gear.. what happens if the installer puts it in and it does not work out of the box.. tghen it looks like the shops fault and they would prolly have to replace the unit. there are alot of factors why alot of people including myself feel if the customer does not buy the product from you then it is not worth the time to put it in.

That being said I have no problem matching internet prices as long as they are not crazy eddies super blowout. That way my customers get a great warranty. a great install installation and myself incase they ever need help or just want to talk in general about their car or anything.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:16 AM
dcmidnight

Thanks guys, I know it seems like a simple question I figured I would ask first.

I can certainly see both sides especially the product quality issue. Under normal circumstances if its a few bucks here and there I would always pay a little more for the shop to take care of everything. But in the case where its $800, which would cover the install and acessories, its enough of a difference to ask.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 AM
KPierson
Banned

We would charge an extra $10 above our normal rate, and, sometimes, require the customer to sign a release form. We usually only used the release form on flea market stuff and expensive stuff.

We never worried too much about damaging stuff, as if it was bought brand new it should have a warranty. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer, and don't get a warranty, then thats on you.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:18 AM
dcmidnight

Installer got back to me to say that Pioneer units purchased online are not waranteed by Pioneer unless they are bought through Crutchfield. The 6ave website seems to say otherwise, though I havent called the Pioneer # they provide to confirm, but they say all their products come with factory waranties and as a retailer with brick and mortar locations, they can be an authorized online retailer. Installer goes on to say that even if I bring it to him, they wont guarantee the work they do on it, even if its brand new and waranteed:

"We charge more for installation of units not purchased at our store, and we offer no warranty on our installation of that unit. So say you have a problem with the unit after we install it, you would have to pay for de-installation, shipping fees, etc. If you buy from an authorized dealer, you are covered from head to toe."

And again I can really see both sides, if it was a few bucks here and there, maybe a few hundred, I wouldnt care, I would pay it. If it was $200 from them installed but $150 online and $40 for the install, obviously I would have no issue. But I'm going to probably end up at $3-4K for this install, if I can save $900 on the unit itself, I can pay for the 4 add-ons I want them to install (at their price/rate).

Is this a stupid and/or unreasonable position?

Last edited by dcmidnight; 06-14-2006 at 06:31 AM.