Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Viper alarm install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Z_rican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper alarm install.

What's up guys. Here is the deal I have a Viper alarm that I want installed in my Z. I have a 6 speed. Can anybody do the install for me? I cant find a shop that will install the remote start for me. I want to do the install in about a month and a half. I am willing to pay and give beer. I live in NOVA. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 AM
wilric44

remote wont work with a manual. i have it on my 5AT
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Ichigo

Default Liability

Shops wont install a remote start on a manual trasmission car. Too much liability involved. You have to bypass a safety feature, having to have the clutch in before the car starts. Im not saying it CANT be done but a professional shop most likely tell you it CANT be done because they dont want to stand there and argue with you about doing it. You get hurt = They get sued.

There is one company out there that makes a remote start that works with a manual transmission though .. name escapes me compu.. something. Ill have to look it up if your interested.

Got it, Compustar sells remote starts that are Manual transmission capable!
This is the only remote start system that is currently manual transmission capable, that I know of.

http://www.compustar.com/remote_start.htm

Last edited by Ichigo; 06-26-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by scuba_steve
Shops wont install a remote start on a manual trasmission car. Too much liability involved. You have to bypass a safety feature, having to have the clutch in before the car starts.

There is one company out there that makes a remote start that works with a manual transmission though .. name escapes me compu.. something. Ill have to look it up if your interested.
Sure if you dont mind.
Thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 AM
DeeZ

compustar i think makes one
Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 AM
philude

i have a friend that lives in annandale and does this in his spare time. he did a great job for me. if you want his info, i'll PM it to you.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM
KPierson
Banned

You can safely install a remote start on the VQ35 because it includes an OEM neutral safety switch. This switch signal can be referenced to prevent the car from starting if it is in ANY gear.

Also, the clutch bypass should only engage when the RS is triggered, and should reamin in place for normal starting of the car.

The DEI alarm has a NSS wire, its a black/white wire that 99% of the time is either wired through a toggle switch or directly to ground. Hook this wire to the OEM NSS wire at the ECU, you can wire it through the switch still, too, if you want to be able to manually defeat the remote start.

One word of caution, the OEM NSS switch (technically referred to as a PNP switch - Park/Neutral Position) is a mechanical switch that is located INSIDE the transmission. As it is mechanical it CAN fail, and should be tested out at least monthly for proper operation.

This way of installing a remote start is AS safe as installing the system on an auto tranny, as long as the OEM PNP switch is working as designed.

For reference, Nissan uses this signal to prevent 'no load revving' by enabling a 2nd, lower, rev limiter when the car is in park (auto) or N (6mt).
Old 06-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by scuba_steve
Shops wont install a remote start on a manual trasmission car. Too much liability involved. You have to bypass a safety feature, having to have the clutch in before the car starts. Im not saying it CANT be done but a professional shop most likely tell you it CANT be done because they dont want to stand there and argue with you about doing it. You get hurt = They get sued.

Got it, Compustar sells remote starts that are Manual transmission capable!
This is the only remote start system that is currently manual transmission capable, that I know of.

http://www.compustar.com/remote_start.htm
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by philude
i have a friend that lives in annandale and does this in his spare time. he did a great job for me. if you want his info, i'll PM it to you.
Yeah man, can you please PM me his info