Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:21 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)

A few weeks ago I came across an article on this forum by jelledge (https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....entine+install) where he had a really clever idea of doing a stealth installation of a V1 onto the headliner near the center break light. I just want to give jelledge some props for his project, which was the inspiration for mine. Thanks jelledge. This mount is pretty sturdy, there’s no amount of cornering or breaking that you could possibly do to move it once it’s in place. It’s also relatively easy to put on and take off since it’s simple to pull down the headliner a little to get the lip of the mounting bracket behind it. I also checked it w/ a level comparing it to the slope of my garage’s floor; it’s right on the money. It has a clear shot forward and out the back and you’d only notice it if you knew it was there, otherwise it’s fairly hidden to anyone looking at the car. As far as position I placed it towards the passenger side primarily for accessibility from the driver’s seat. Its position right now will allow me to reach back and adjust it while belted in although not while driving.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth01.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:22 AM
drivesolo

Lightbulb Stealth V1 Installation (2 of 10)

I took the same method a step further by making a custom bracket by bending a 3 x 4-1/2, 16 gauges, aluminum plate to make the installation sturdy and reversible in the event that it was not to my liking. I didn’t have a sheet metal break to bend the bracket but with my bench vise, a short block of wood, hammer and some patience, several test pieces later I came up with a simple bracket design that works well. I made several other brackets before I found the dimensions that worked well to in keeping the V1 balanced and at the same time not putting too much pressure on any part of the headliner where it could damage it.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth02.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:23 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (3 of 10)

I used some 1/16-thick foam tape for padding for the part of the bracket that would contact the visible part of the headliner and for the area contacting the V1. Since the V1 has a slight curve on the top of it’s casing, the padding on the bottom, 1” apart would, was good for keeping the V1 straight when strapped to the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth03.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:24 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (4 of 10)

I made a sheath out of some 2” nylon strap, and electrical tape. I did this so I could remove the V1 from the bracket easily when I wanted to use it in my other car and also to fasten it to the bracket securely.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth04.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:25 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (5 of 10)

I guess you could use some thick rubber bands to fasten it to the bracket; this is just the method that I choose to go with.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth05.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:26 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (6 of 10)

Whatever you choose to use, make sure that you don’t cover up the power connector.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth06.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:27 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (7 of 10)

Running the cable to the fuse box was a piece of cake, a plastic card helps in getting it tucked away w/o scratching up any of the interior. I used a 10ft phone cable instead of the cables that came w/ the V1 (I don’t think the 8 ft would’ve made it). I hooked the power up to the cigarette lighter’s fuse. I tied up everything only after I finished all the other wiring so I only had to do it in one spot, keeping it neat.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth07.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:29 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (8 of 10)

I hooked the ground up to the screw located behind the hood release. I couldn’t find any ground closer to the fuse box, unless I unbolted something. Anyways, it’s not visible at all unless you’ve under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth08.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:30 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (9 of 10)

I wanted to mount the V1 remote in a location where it was not obvious, easily seen while driving and where I can easily adjust the settings and mute it when necessary. I used the adhesive locking tabs that came w/ the V1. I placed it on the left side of the Nav Unit compartment. On the remote’s adapter mount I put it on the side over the image of the arrow. I’m not completely sure if the self adhesive tab will be a problem if I decide to take it of someday, but it’s not in a critical location on the dash even if I don’t ever remove it.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth09.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:31 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (10 of 10)

The remote until mounts easily and is backed by the dashboard under the air vent. It’s not the most stable mount, but I don’t switch modes constantly so it works just fine. If mounted right, it won’t interfere w/ the Nav Unit’s door at all. It’s visible at a glance and can’t immediately be seen from anyone looking in from the driver’s side window. I ran the wiring around the back of the instrument cluster and down to the fuse box by going through the lever to adjust the steering wheel’s tilt.
Attached Thumbnails Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)-stealth10.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 08:32 AM
drivesolo

Default Stealth V1 Installation (final notes)

The whole job after I built the bracket took less than 2 hours. But since I was trying to figure it out on the fly it should take someone following these instructions a lot less time. I’ve tried it out at some locations w/ stationary radar stations and its location on the headliner works just as good as when it was mounted to the windshield. It is concealed but if someone knows that it’s there, they’ll be able to pick up on where to look for it. I’d rather not have to deal with putting it away every time I leave my car out in public so it’s been a big plus in that regard.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:18 PM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice Job

Thanks for the compliment. I really have been loving my V1 stealth install locations as well. The V1 works great and hides real nice from prying eyes.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2003, 09:08 AM
drivesolo

jelledge,

Do you still have the V1 mounted in the same place? Did you have trouble w/ getting the wiring tucked away neatly behind the top of the sidewall (where the panel meets the headliner) on the B-pillar?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:12 AM
jelledge

Default Yup still mounted on headliner

Yes, I sill have the V1 mounted on the headliner. I think it is the perfect position for it.

As far as the cord. Well I just used a cord that matched the headliner color so it is very discrete and hidden. I just wrapped it up the headliner lip and across the roof (between roof and headliner) to the front of the car. The only time you can even see the cord is if the hatch is open.

I am sure there is a better way to do it, but I definetly did not want to cut the head liner in anyway.

Cheers,
ja
Old 02-21-2003, 06:41 PM
dr_gallup

I went with this location for the V1 installation too. I just removed the metal clip from the visor mount that came with the V1 and glued the plastic headliner "rivit" to the top of the mount like in the original thread. However, I put the remote display inside the NAV compartment since I never found any other good use for it. That way, when I park I can close the NAV door and the display is hidden. Several of my friends have looked pretty closely at the car and not even seen the V1!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:37 PM
favo

Nice photos. I have one question. Both you and jelledge mounted the V1 with its front facing the rear of the car. Any particular reason?

Thanks,
Favo
Old 02-21-2003, 07:57 PM
SirMikel1

great setup very imformative
Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by favo
Nice photos. I have one question. Both you and jelledge mounted the V1 with its front facing the rear of the car. Any particular reason?

Thanks,
Favo
i noticed that too...so do the arrows reverse by themselves like front means back and vice versa, or do they read the same??
Old 02-21-2003, 10:01 PM
drivesolo

The V1 is still in the same direcitonal position that it is when you mount it to the windshield. If it was the other way around your directional arrows on the remote would be revesed. The image with the arrow are 2 shots from both sides of the V1 when it's mounted to the bracket. Keep in mind that just because the position of the V1 is now behind the driver it still must be oriented the same way.

I went with this location for the V1 installation too. I just removed the metal clip from the visor mount that came with the V1 and glued the plastic headliner "rivit" to the top of the mount like in the original thread. However, I put the remote display inside the NAV compartment since I never found any other good use for it. That way, when I park I can close the NAV door and the display is hidden. Several of my friends have looked pretty closely at the car and not even seen the V1!
I was considering using the original plans by jelledge but I wanted something less permanent w/ some adjustability in where on the headliner I could place it. I also wanted to be sure that even w/ hard cornering, breaking or if reaching back to adjust it, that it wouldn't move in any way. I didn't want to put the remote on the Nav door or in the Nav bay because of the loose visible wire. And I might do something w/ the nav bay sometime in the future.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:54 AM
favo

Originally posted by drivesolo
The V1 is still in the same direcitonal position that it is when you mount it to the windshield. If it was the other way around your directional arrows on the remote would be revesed.
Of course you are right. For some reason, the first time I looked at it, it seemed backwards.

-Favo

Quick Reply: Stealth V1 Installation (1 of 10)