Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Image Dynamics, JL Audio vs DLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
hiimwayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Image Dynamics, JL Audio vs DLS

I'm in the market for some new woofers. I listen to mostly breakbeats, trance etc but occasionally listen to rap. Which would better suit my needs? Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
maturola

Default JL Audio - Shop Around

I had Kickers (CVRs), Audiobands and MTXs before and I can't be any happier with my 2 JL 10w6v2. I recommend them 200%. Retail price is a bit high but if you shop around you can get a nice deal.
Good luck.

Last edited by maturola; 07-05-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: misstype
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of thsoe three, if you are talking about price range for price range, versus sound quality...

my orde would be:

1. image dynamics

2. JL

3. DLS

ID subs, at every price point, sound great, requires smaller boxes than jls, and reaches very deep. jl subs sound pretty good of course, but to me, the bigger box requirement and the generally higher price is what makes it my number 2 choice.

DLS subs, while sounding very clean and very transparent, dont get as loud, or go as deep as the other two and costs more than ID

b
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
hiimwayne

Thanks for the reply. My other concern is reliability. My 2 JL W3's has started rattling. I took it out of the box and all the foam area is intact. Nothing seems to be damaged but it's still rattling a little. My gain settings on my amp is pratically turned off. Is it because my amp is overpowering the speakers? The amp is rated at 760 rms or so I believe.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 AM
702Fairlady

The place that sells alot of stuff at really low prices would be woofersetc.com. They sell every brand BUT.... I dont believe they are authorized dealers of anything they sell... Meaning no warranty. I just reaplaced my 12" L7 today under waranty for $70 bucks due to a small rattle and slap noise sometimes when it went real low. Better than paying $250 for a new sub from woofersetc. If you dont care about warranty and such id recommend them for the best prices on most brands.

My personal choices would be JL (W3 or better), ID, and then DLS. ID's are really good ine sound quality, but I do think the JL's are a little bit tighter and hit a bit harder.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 AM
bmac03z

JL, nothing better. Pick the best model that fits your budget. I've had 8 10w1's, 4 15w4's, 3 10w6's and a 13w7 and was happy with them all.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 AM
phoenixtroy

IDmaxs get my vote. oh, and it just so happens that there are two on eBay right now ...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:07 AM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From subwoofers to horns, I've always been impressed with Image Dynamics.

I even blew a midbass one time and they replaced it, so their customer service gets a thumbs-up too.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 AM
bmac03z

Originally Posted by 05-Z
From subwoofers to horns, I've always been impressed with Image Dynamics.

I even blew a midbass one time and they replaced it, so their customer service gets a thumbs-up too.
ID horns and midbass are great.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 AM
04silverzcoupe

Originally Posted by 702Fairlady
The place that sells alot of stuff at really low prices would be woofersetc.com. They sell every brand BUT.... I dont believe they are authorized dealers of anything they sell... Meaning no warranty. I just reaplaced my 12" L7 today under waranty for $70 bucks .
why did you have to pay 70 bucks?

x2 on id. i think the new idmax is coming out soon thoug so you may wannt to wait a bit.
woofersetc is authorized on some brands but none of the ones he mentioned
Old 07-08-2006, 06:53 AM
diwun67

I have a pair of 10W3V2D4's, they actually blur my vision on some notes
Old 07-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Brocken

ID, hands down. Dollar for dollar the JL can't even come close to beating the ID. Sure, if you compare a 13w7 to an ID12 the JL might be a little better but it also costs several times as much, takes way more power and a huge box.
I've had a few subs in both brands and I've liked the ID way more. They just flat out rock! They do like really small enclosures and like 16 said they get really low and hit hard. They're also really tight and responsive if you're playing faster music like rock with a lot of drum beats.
They're cheap to power too, it's easy to find a decent amp that puts out 300 watts.
I haven't tried an IDMAX but those are supposed to pound even harder from what I've heard.

All I can say is that if you've never heard ID before and all you know is JL at least give ID a try. You can always sell it if you don't like it. I'm sure somebody would ****** it up.
You can buy online from sounddomain.com. They're an authorized dealer for ID and I've had good experience with them.
You might also want to check out the Arc Audio ARC series subwoofers...they based them on IDQ subwoofers and I think they're even a little better than the older IDQ(especially since I don't think they're making IDQ...just ID now). Arc is harder to find but they rock. They're a little more expensive than the ID sub but not as expensive as the IDMAX. And I think they're in between as far as hitting low and hard. Harder and lower than the ID but not quite as low or hard as the IDMAX. And they're really tight too. I had one in my WRX that I'm putting in my wife's car. It plays great on all kinds of music.