Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stupid Radio!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM
bigk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Radio!

Well let me start off by tellin ya that I had Best Buy install a sub and amp into my Z a little over a year ago. I still have the stock radio. Just within the last few weeks, the radio will cut in and out, but for the most part it doesn't work. If I turn it louder than regular listening volume, I can hear a "gargle" (would be the best way I can describe it.

I took it to Best Buy amd was gonna have them check it out, but when the guy came out to listen to it, it decided to work fine. Is there anything that I can check? Do I need a new radio?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 AM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my radio won't eject my franz ferdinand cd. i decided to ditch that one. my brother works at clarion so he ordered me a new head unit(yes, i know the stock z radios are manufactured by clarion). but i'm decided to get the DXZ865MP.
http://clarion.com/us/en/products/20...643389122.html
what do you guys think?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:04 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
franz ferdinand cd.
good cd...
Originally Posted by bigk
Well let me start off by tellin ya that I had Best Buy install a sub and amp into my Z a little over a year ago. I still have the stock radio. Just within the last few weeks, the radio will cut in and out, but for the most part it doesn't work. If I turn it louder than regular listening volume, I can hear a "gargle" (would be the best way I can describe it.

I took it to Best Buy amd was gonna have them check it out, but when the guy came out to listen to it, it decided to work fine. Is there anything that I can check? Do I need a new radio?
The first mistake was letting Best Buy do your audio work....
Since it's under some kind of warranty, I'm assuming, let them check it out first. If they can not fix it, take it somwhere else. The stocker HU has been known to be a piece of junk. Might have to go aftermarket.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
batmanesaul

i had the same problem.. i WILL never ever go back to Worsttbuy for an install ever again.. the guy left a couple of wires back n didnt cover them properly and so every time i would drive over something or even turn slightly it would make that sound, the next few weeks my radio couldnt even cut back on. i took it to a local shop n they tld me the audio converter was installed wrong and a wires werent coverd correctly, he told me i was lucky i didnt fry anything else but the radio. i suggest goin to a local shop to have them check it it, it may look rinky dink but some do actually know what they are doing
Old 07-19-2006, 11:55 AM
bigk

Originally Posted by batmanesaul
i had the same problem.. i WILL never ever go back to Worsttbuy for an install ever again.. the guy left a couple of wires back n didnt cover them properly and so every time i would drive over something or even turn slightly it would make that sound, the next few weeks my radio couldnt even cut back on. i took it to a local shop n they tld me the audio converter was installed wrong and a wires werent coverd correctly, he told me i was lucky i didnt fry anything else but the radio. i suggest goin to a local shop to have them check it it, it may look rinky dink but some do actually know what they are doing

Is the converter what they probably had to install for the RCA's to connect to the HU?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
batmanesaul

Default yup

Originally Posted by bigk
Is the converter what they probably had to install for the RCA's to connect to the HU?
yea its the converter, it to plug in the RCA's to the HU
Old 07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
w8lifter21

Originally Posted by batmanesaul
I agree, some people that work at a Worst Buy are complete hacks. Some are even MECP certified. But there are also some of us that know what we are doing . +1 on the converter.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
mikew18

haha MECP is just paperwork...anyways to get back to the origional question.. you may have you gain on your amp to high, your gains on your low-level converter too high, or you "bass" option on the deck to high, if the system ever completely cuts out its due to either the amp going into "protect" mode or your remote wire is kinked/grounding out/ or shot. the "gurggling" noise is also a good indication that your sub is blown, it doesnt have to do that all of the time to be blown. i would test the impedence on the sub and see if it matches up with the specs....most of this stuff will all be better and will sound a hell of alot better once you go with a aftermarket head unit. any other questions email me @ mikew18@gmail.com