Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Another noob question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Ghost_shift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another noob question....

Ok here is my dilema.

I know I will eventually have to replace my speakers and add some amps and subs. It ok, but I want to get it done a little at a time. I want to make sure I have the best equipment for the money, and my needs.

I searched all day for an answer to the headunit problem and I cant find 100% of the answer Im looking for, so here it goes.

I have an 04 Touring with the non Navi Bose system. It is the one with the tape deck. I will be installing a double din Kenwood with sirius and Navi.

I got to the point where I was going to disconnect the headunit and connect the new one, and I saw 4 connectors instead of 2. Is this for the Bose amps??? I know one of them is the antenna amp, but what is the third one for???

If I hook up the headunit will the speakers work just not the sub?? Or should I just deal with the stock HU untill I have all my equipment to install???

Thanks for the help in advance guys!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Ghost_shift

anyone????
Old 07-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm more confused that you are.

Get yourself a wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield and be done with it. I really don't like to see people wacking off their factory connections and splicing into the wires. Crutchfield will walk you though step-by-step to the right adapter for your non-Bose '04.

With adapter in hand you can soldier the wires and heat shrink the connections on a work bench. Then walk on over and jack the thing in and be done with it. I really don't advise anything but solidering the connections and that can be dangerous inside an expensive car.

You're aftermarket headend will likely have four speaker outputs plus line level ones for use later when/if you drop the amplifier(s) in place. As long as you've got the dash open you might as well run the RCA line level cables down into the console and then back to where ever you plan on mounting your amplifier later.

If you just plan on adding sub-woofer(s) later with a matching amplifier you don't have to go into the dash. If you install a four channel amplifier you'll add aftermarket speaker wires for the new speakers. The ones to the rear will be really short and easy to run. Running new ones to the front door can be a challenge - or you can bust open the dash and latch into the factory front door speaker wires.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:54 PM
mikew18

the other two adapters could have something to do with your steering wheel controls. do you have a sub behind your drivers seat?
mikew18@gmail.com
Old 07-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Ghost_shift

Default Thanks for the advice!!

I already had planned to prewire everything when I was inside it. And I did get the harness from crutchfield, and I did shrink wrap and solder.

I have been doing stereos for a while. I just need to know if the stock speakers and sub will work with the new headunit since its not bose.

There is a third set of wires attatched to a clip in the rear of the stock hu. This connector has to be removed from the rear of the unit to remove it together with the 2 connectors that power the HU and the speakers.

Last edited by Ghost_shift; 07-23-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Ghost_shift

Originally Posted by mikew18
the other two adapters could have something to do with your steering wheel controls. do you have a sub behind your drivers seat?
mikew18@gmail.com
Yea!!! Ok now that makes sense!!! but I dont have the steering wheel controls. And yea there is a sub behind the driver side. Could it be a prewire for the SW controls??? Or some prewire for the navi??
Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Ghost_shift

I installed the headunit tonight. All of the speakers including the sub sound awsome!!!