Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anyone know how to install a remote start on a 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Eric1h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to install a remote start on a 6MT?

I got an audiovox premier 996 with remote start, has anyone successfully gotten a remote start installed? if so, what is involved and how much were the extra peices parts? I will be having the alarm installed professionally, but the shop owner said he didnt think it could be done......ANYONE??
Old 02-25-2003, 12:10 PM
maximadave

the only remote start with manual bypass is the Cllifford. No installer will do a remote start with a manual (liability) unless you have the Clifford.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by maximadave
the only remote start with manual bypass is the Cllifford. No installer will do a remote start with a manual (liability) unless you have the Clifford.
Actually my Compustar has a specific function enabling it to be used with a manual transmission. Also I just found these sites that list a number of remote starters for manual transmissions although I know nothing about them:
Securityworld
GIT
Gizmo City

Finally, here are two other items of interest for you. The first one is a thread on this board about remote starters. The second is a post on how to disable the remote starter to work on a manual transmission car posted on 12Voltdirect.com. I would encourage you to go the smart route and buy one that specifically has a manual transmission function.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:22 PM
ZThang

I have remote starter installed in my Performance 6mt. I use the Viper xv790 alarm/remote start. It works great except i'm always stressing about whether or not I left the car in neutral rather than 1st...and i accidentally double started the car once or twice...didn't sound good at all...but i have to admit the remote start feature rocks, I've gotten it to start from 500ft away b4.

As for the install, i had mine professionally done at a shop near my house, I believe everything that was needed was included in the kit. I believe the only difficult part is bypassing the clutch and tricking the computer into thinking theres a key in the starter...if your alarm supports the remote start on a manual, it should include everything thats necessary. But yes...it can and has been done on a manual.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know how to install a remote start on a 6MT?-remote.jpg  

Last edited by ZThang; 02-25-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:03 PM
srobert910

I'm an installer and have an audiovox prestige aps-996 alarm in my 6sp touring Z. I made a bracket with a magnetic reed switch for the 1st gear gate on the shifter. it works great, the car will not remote start if its in 1st gear, however if it's in any other gear it will start. I did this because i only park my car in 1st or neutral. If this is done correctly you can rest assured that it will not start in 1st. All of the components fit under the factory shift boot and required no drilling.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know how to install a remote start on a 6MT?-cnv0005.jpg  
Old 02-26-2003, 05:08 AM
Eric1h

srobert910, can you give me an idea of what you did and how you got the Audiovox to work in a 6MT, so i can tell the shop installing it the "secret" I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 02-26-2003, 05:45 AM
srobert910

I pretty much thought that pic was self explanitory, if your installer can't look at that pic and figure out what he's looking at, then do not hand him your keys... in the picture is a bracket made of a backstrap, a magnetic reed switch, and the magnet half taped to the base of the shifter. He just has to make sure that it's aligned perfectly and does not physically hit the other half of the switch. This switch is hooked up to the plug in switch on the 996 that turns off the remote start portion of the alarm. when it's in first, the alarm gets a signal to open the circuit and the car won't remote start.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Eric1h

what about the key not being in the ignition? and the clutch switch?
Old 02-26-2003, 03:35 PM
srobert910

for the key, i used a directed 555u transponder bypass. it's a box that uses a factory key inside and a transmitter loop. you put a factory key inside the box, then run the loop over the key hole. Basically when the alarm tries to remote start, the alarm sends out a signal to turn on the bypass box, which sends a signal to the factory transponder receiver. when the alarm is not remote started the car just uses the transponder built into your key.
For the clutch switch, i used a relay to close the circuit while the remote start is working. Basically you tap into the two factory clutch switch wires and hook them up to a standard relay. you'll use terminals 87 and 30 for these two wires. when you remote start the car, the alarm sends a trigger to the relay to connect the two factory wires together and the car thinks that you have the clutch depressed. Any other questions?
Old 02-28-2003, 05:22 AM
Subw00er

Thumbs up

srobert910, thanks for the info, and good idea with the magnetic switch. One question, doesnt it hit when you go into 5th or 6th? Or is it far enough away when its in 1st that it still throws the magnet?