Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need My Stereo ' GURUS ' Opinions Here...!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003 | 10:09 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Default Need My Stereo ' GURUS ' Opinions Here...!

Okay guys, I am vastly approaching the time for my "Custom STEREO Install" and I need some if not ALL of the input form you guys personal experience (meaning you've actually seen and heard the istall) form various stereo installs for the Z! This will definitel be one of my CRITICAL installs/mods due to my Love of music!
My requirements:
1. LOW END "frequency response" is crucial!
2. I would prefer to utilize the spare-tire space and save all the little as it is room for storage. All though I have heard Vettes with this type of install and they DID NOT hit hard like I would want.
3. I absolutely DO NOT want the Subs mounted behind either seat.
4. I will consider anytype of install utilizing the rear brace, BUT! from the brace to the rear of the trunk I need open!
5. I allready know what head-unit and speakers I'm gonna use. It's just a matter of getting the BEST, HARDEST HITTING SOUND possible from the Z with the above certain conditions.

I was thinking of a 12' JL where the spare is, or two 10' JL's where the rear brace is.

Again any & all input (from those of you who have has "real experience" on the 350Z installs!

Thanks!!!

By the way, I am considering the following head-units:

Eclipse AV8132

Pioneer AVHP7490DVD

Panasonic CQVAD9200U
Old 03-01-2003 | 12:59 PM
aggie300zx

Finally going to add some tunes huh...

Hopefully, this week Tweeters will have the matching vinyl ready. If so, they are building a box below the rear brace for me. I'm only using one JL 10W3, but it was mentioned that it could be built for two if I wanted it. I would be more than happy to meet up with you once it's complete.

I didn't see any Alpine's in your headunit list. I'd also take a look at the Alpine 7998. It has everything you could even imagine in a headunit and then some. I've been extrememly pleased with mine.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2003 | 03:30 PM
mdouvris

Default New is good!

TXSTYLE Pm NIZL. He is really the man on this subject.
Old 03-01-2003 | 07:46 PM
Nazar
Banned

Default Sub boxes inder Strut bar

This box is made out of all fiberglass, available now for $399 + shipping unfinished. It can also be finished like in the picture for $499 Hi-quality Vinyl.

Not including the sub.

Last edited by Nazar; 08-21-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2003 | 07:56 PM
Jspec350z

Nazar Any way of building that box for 2 boston pro 12.4? I love the way it looks. That is one badass box!!
Old 03-01-2003 | 07:56 PM
jran76

I am assuming that is a 10"? Great looking box.
Old 03-01-2003 | 09:32 PM
Subw00er

(Sorry if this is a repeat post)

TX, I spent a lot of time installing a 10w7 behind my seat and you are right, it sucks. That position is just plain horible for subs (no flames please, this is my opinion).

I also had a upwards firing sub in my previous install and it (as you noted) didnt hit as hard as it did when placed horizontal. I wont be doing that format again. This time I will be making a enclosure in between the rear hump and the strut tower - firing a single 12" under it the best I can... Perhaps slightly angled downwards and backwards. I think this will yeild optimal results and I'm a big fan of giving the sub's waves time to "mature."

I'm not sure what sub I am going with yet, but I'm contemplating a Dynaudio, but I'm not sure if it will hit as hard as I'd like. I used dynaudio elsewhere and am very suprised at their output, but subs may be a different story, perhaps I'll need two. I'll be using a 500/1 to power my low end. As a stand-in till my system is done I am using a 10w0 I had lying around and it sounds very good in a rear-firing position and blends suprisingly well with the Dyns. The w7 I had in there was thud-thud in comparison, not a musical sub at all. I've since returned it! I've played with different orientations with the hatch closed (foward, sideways, rear etc.) and I like rear facing, horizontal best.

Hope that helps! Please remember that this is my opinion based on my many years of car audio enthusiasm.

Last edited by Subw00er; 02-19-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2003 | 11:02 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thanks for the responses guys! Nazar, that type of enclosure is what I'm leaning towards. HOWEVER, I must say that from experience, that is a little steep $$$ for that small of a box with a single sub.

aggie300: we'll definitely have to hook up! If you guys know me, then you know I have been "JONSEING" hard for some "quality tunes" in my Z!

Subw00er: Great info. And I can't imagine you getting flamed for that statement. I would have to agree, and most stereo-heads would too. The bass and low-end CAN NOT be achieved properly behind seats.
In other developments: I have been informed that I should SERIOUSLY consider Brahma or XXX Subs instead. And after reading up on them.... I think I will. They are not as "commercial" as JL but apparently are "The Sh**!"
I'll keep you all posted........
Old 03-02-2003 | 07:32 AM
Nazar
Banned

Originally posted by Jspec350z
Nazar Any way of building that box for 2 boston pro 12.4? I love the way it looks. That is one badass box!!

Sorry no room for 12's under the strut tower bar, Just not enough pysical room for them. Not to mention Cu. ft.

Nazar
Old 03-02-2003 | 07:37 AM
Nazar
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TXSTYLE
[B]Thanks for the responses guys! Nazar, that type of enclosure is what I'm leaning towards. HOWEVER, I must say that from experience, that is a little steep $$$ for that small of a box with a single sub.

remember this box is 100% fiberglass, lightwight and as you know much better material for sound quality. And is a perfect fit. As far as the price, That is a matter of what kind of experience you have building fiberglass enclosures. If you don't mind getting messy and spend atleast about $150 on materials alone to do the box, finaly have a couple days to kill on a box, well then Yes. You could make it cheaper, But still won't come out as perfect. Unless you make a mold like ours.

Believe me we spent many days on this box to get it perfect.

Nazar
Old 03-02-2003 | 09:11 AM
vics350

I'm going to have to back Nazar on this one. I saw the box firsthand and it is everything he says (perfect fit under strut bar, excellent quality, and fiberglass and too heavy).

This is definitely the way I'm going to go.

Nazar I definitely want the Vinyl on mine.
Victor
Old 03-02-2003 | 09:36 AM
Subw00er

If it was a single 12" I'd strongly consider that box, but a 10 just isnt enough for me. Any plans on a 12" in possibily an angled config?
Old 03-02-2003 | 10:05 AM
Nazar
Banned

Originally posted by Subw00er
If it was a single 12" I'd strongly consider that box, but a 10 just isnt enough for me. Any plans on a 12" in possibily an angled config?
Sorry, Not at this time.
I would reccomend looking at the 10w7. I would put thet against many 12s out there.
Old 03-02-2003 | 10:06 AM
Nazar
Banned

Originally posted by vics350
excellent quality, and fiberglass and too heavy).
Victor [/B]
You mean NOT too heavy
Old 03-02-2003 | 10:19 AM
Rahtok

What about a side firing one like this: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=18321

I want to add more punch, but am willing to sacrifice neither the spare nor very much of the little cargo space I have.
Old 03-02-2003 | 10:57 AM
vics350

Oops, you're right. It's not too heavy.
Victor
Old 03-02-2003 | 12:07 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82
Premier Member

Moved from the "Subs, subs and more subs" thread. .STLZ ((3) 10W6v2's)
Originally posted by TXSTYLE
Now this looks like a HELL of an install!!! Kinda what I'm thinking about. With three 10's it should hit hard as a ****! Have you personally heard this setup Anyone2u? Or did you just retreive the photos? I need "DETAILED" information on this setup: Box, is it opened on the other side, insulation, etc.
I just wanted to move this to give Nazar his due. I suppose you really have to see the box to appreciate it. Also realize that it can be made to accomodate one (see Nazar's picture post above), two or three subs. I have actually never heard it, but had the box in my car to check it's fit. As far as the price, it's pretty comparable to the one Zland had made (see Rahtok's post above) at $~400-450 depending on the number being made.

Last edited by Anyone2u; 03-02-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2003 | 04:49 PM
rouxeny

vics350 and I had the opportunity to hear this on our trip out to Plaistow. The owner of the Z is not active here or he could put up his own opinion. I'm no audiophile, but to me it sounded very good, very loud. More than enough to bring a smile to my face.
Old 03-02-2003 | 05:15 PM
vics350

I agree with Andrew. I took a picture of his amps and he was running the three subwoofers with a JL Audio 500/1 amp.

The system we heard was hitting pretty hard and I can only imagine what STLZ's must sound like because he is running his three subs with the 1000/1.
Old 03-02-2003 | 05:54 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Here's my install utilizing the spare tire well. Pictured is an xtant x603 amp and Boston Pro 10.5LF. Clean, takes up no space, and small (the sub needs .5cu ft enclosure).

I've cleaned this up a lot and I really need to get new photos uploaded.

Everyone who's heard the system has sworn I have a 12" sub in the rear. I had a really good friend who runs SPL comps (162db at the dash) listen to it today and he was blown away with the setup. The best part of the setup, less then $50.00 in material to build it all. If you're interested I can give you all my measurements, what I did, and some other little tweaks. Keep in mind I built for SQ but I'm still amazed at how much bass I do get.

Quick Reply: Need My Stereo ' GURUS ' Opinions Here...!