Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 11:29 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?

Thanks to those who gave me input. I selected and had my new stereo installed. My goal was to keep it simple looking, almost stock if possible without reducing quality of sound. I put the sub woofer in the rear to get it futher away from me. I kept the stock head putting all my money into amp, speakers, and sub:

Equip:
Amp=Audison LRX-5.600 60x4 180x1 4 ohms
Speakers: (4) Focal 165V polglass
Sub: 10" Image Dyn
Sub enclosure: Hand built fiberglass, matierials to match factory in color and texture.

Her is some pics of the sub enclosure. Paul at Streetnoyz (619) 260-1747 did a masterful job of building this sub enclosure. I am just sharing info with you guys and since he is a skilled installer, I feel i should let it be know of the quality job he does. He said that he can build a group of them all at once if you guys are interested in a group purchase. It can hold a single 10" sub and would come to match the interior color, you add the speaker etc. Price will depend on the number ordered but I bet the price will be very good and quality is outstanding.

If you are interested, PM me, I will forward a list to Paul. the pictures do not do this job justice IMHO. I took pics at sunset, the glair and angle of sun make it look like it is different colors but i assure you, it matches better than the stock interior parts match themselves.

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:37 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default another sub pic

here is a close up of the left part of the sub enclosure

Last edited by zland; 06-05-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:39 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default sub pic 3

Here is a close up of rt side. It looks like it sticks out funny but it doesn't. He designed it so if you take it out, you can return it to normal without damage to the car.

Last edited by zland; 09-16-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:43 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default sub pic

Here is the sub without the grill on

Old 02-02-2003, 11:45 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default grill pic

Here is the grill made of metal mesh so it cannot be dented in when carrying objects in rear
Old 02-02-2003, 11:46 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default grill pic

opps, here is that grill pic

Old 02-02-2003, 11:49 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default ft view pic

Here is a ft view of the sub enclosure, sorry for the lighting, I had to take it this afternoon or wait a week. I am busy right now.

Old 02-02-2003, 11:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default amp install pic

Here is the audison amp install. Notice the nice platform it is mounted on. I am pleased to say the least.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:17 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Absolutely wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT ONE !

I was going to build my own, but I doubt as a first shot at fiberglassing it would ever come out this great. I love the grill work too, superb job !

This is exactly what I am shooting for. Can you find out a few specs for me from Paul ? I am trying to use a 10W6 now (5in mounting depth), and possibly a 10w6v2 in the future (7in mounting depth). The sealed volume requirements for both of these speakers is .625 cuft. This is the most important requirement.

If the price is fair, I would consider ordering one of these, instead of building my own. Its so damn cold here, I am not sure I can get the fiberglass epoxy to harden in a reasonable time (usually 10-15 minutes, but now its over an hour). It would be much easier to get a drop in like this to save me some time and mess...

Let me know what we are talking about as far as price, as long as this fits my woofer specs.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:47 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Onecoolee:

I will look into what you ask for concerning specs and color. I am sure he can do it. The only issue will be him getting a person that has a Z to show him that color so he can match it. We can solve that detail later I am sure.

I know you know your stuff since you were advising me on stereo selection when I was shopping so for you to like this install means a lot to me.

This thread is only 4 hours old. What I would prefer to do is let it run for a couple of days to get an idea of how many people will order in a group buy. This will give Paul a number so he can base his price. lets face it, 2 people interested is different than 10 people thus affecting cost for him to build. The cost will only go down with more people buying. maybe I should call him so he can give me a price if 1-2 people buy, another price if 3-6 people buy etc.. like Avalon did for us on the HRE wheel buy?

I picked up my Z late in the evening and discussed the idea with him then. I was just so happy with the sub enclosure, I felt others might want the same work done. Assuming there is enough people to make it work, what he will do is use my Z to build a production mold out of it. For now, I can tell you this, most places charge $500-600 for this level work, it will be cheaper than that. I believe you will be please with the price and I know the quality is excellent.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:47 AM
Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zland,

You and I have talked. I may be interested also...need to know a couple of things to decide: If he were to give us a group deal, would he be making a mold to make each identical? Or would he still make each individually? Reason I ask is because I may be interested in two enclosures (right and left) and might consider doing it with two 8" subs which may allow slightly less volume requirements. If so, I'd want the box "tighter" or a little more recessed into that same location. Email me when you have time to give me more details. By the way....NICE! Where your amp is looks like some interior compartment walls are missing? Am I seeing things? Or did they have to come out to make room for the amp?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:02 AM
onecoolee

That amp is in the stock sub location...I have some experience in there...hehe

I put 2 Phoenix Gold amps on a custom rack in there, and it turned out very nice....I only wish the pics I had were worth posting, but my dig. camera suxx. It takes great pics of the dogs, but when lighting conditions aren't ideal, its not worth a crap.

My install came out great, and I did all of the work, so far. I am still considering doing the sub enclosure myself, or getting it done like this one turned out, as this is EXACTLY what I want, and is a perfect fit. This is the sub box that I have been dreaming about...now I need it to materialize...
Old 02-03-2003, 05:07 AM
onecoolee

Default Mounting depth ?

What is the mounting depth on an IDQ V2-10" sub ? It looks like they are efficieant, only requiring .5 cuft of sealed space, but I can't find the specs on their site which state the depth.

It looks like they are about equal to a 10w6 but the 10w6v2 is pushing it...

Nevermind...I found it ! Looks liek about 5" of depth for most of the ID speakers...same as a 10W6.

Last edited by onecoolee; 02-03-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:37 AM
djkern
Banned

Thumbs up Great Pics!

Awesome Install! I'd be interested in one as well. One concern though. How much air space is in that enclosure? If there isn't enough air space...the sub is just going to act like a regular speaker...and, in turn, you won't get the bass you thought you would get. also, did you ever think of installing the amp in the space behind the drivers seat instead of in the glove box? it's the same space once you get the plastic cover off (well, there is a cut out circle where the bose sub would go...but i've seen people put their amps in there. just curious. but...i'd be intersted!
Old 02-03-2003, 06:49 AM
onecoolee

I think I can safely speak for Zland here...

This amp IS IN the factory sub location, and no mods have been done to the glove box...if you look at the left portion of the pic, you can see the center console divider where it meets with the rear wall of the car. I too have my amps in the factory sub location, and its an ideal spot for equipment. Too bad its not ideal location for a drop in replacement sub...

It is great to see some nice custom install work like this, and hopefully, I will continue to see more great install jobs. Tehre are defintely some good quality installers out there, but hopefully, they aren't out to get people too bad on the cost. I always do my own work, and I have alot of tools too, but some people don't feel confident with this type of work, and I hope these install shops aren't preying on people.

Overall, I have to say that the Z in not the easiest car to work on, but my own install was alot of fun...
Old 02-03-2003, 07:28 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default I am getting answers for you ASAP

When I got my install, Iwas so pleased I suggested to Paul for offering to sell these enclosures to you guys. He said no problem. I am just a messenger at this point with no interest but helping everyone out. I am not in the enclosure business.

I will call Paul today to tell him there is an interest in a group purchase. I will get you guys answers on your questions and prices as well. What I hope to do is get me out of being the middle man (unless that is the best way to do this) so you can directly ask him those technical questions. Maybe I can get him to log on to answer your questions. At this point, let me call him and establish a procedure to getting orders filled, questions answered, etc. This is his expertise, high quality installs and he is one of the best in southern California.

I will post prices and ordering procedures as soon as I get everything in order. I will make sure he anwers all your questions because each install is a little different.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2003, 07:39 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default reply to walls missing on amp enclosure

Driven:

The enclosure for the amp is that way because air space is needed to cool the amp. This amp is covered with the orginal cover behind your driver seat. If you amp is putting out a lot of heat, you would want to punch holes in your factory cover and cover it with a mesh or clothe. The last thing you want to do is restrict your air space around your amp by enclosing it more than needed. Maybe id you were to put a c;lear cover over the enclosure (not my taste), then finishing it for appearance would be more important but again that would create cooling issues for the amp.

This is me speaking, not Paul but he did tell me this. Beyond that, I am no expert, he is. I hope this helps...

Jeff
Old 02-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Marked350Z

Very nice, I definitely would be interested in one. Thanks for going through the effort, Jeff.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:02 AM
onecoolee

Default Wait...I want the 1st one...LOL!

Jeff,
I can talk to Paul if necessary, but if the price is right, I think there will be alot of interest in here. This is the most ideal location for the best sounding bass, and to maximize our space in the hatch.

If it helps at all, I can put a down payment (or pay in full, if necessary) this week, to show my interest, as this is the only part missing from my install. I will expect a high quality, perfect fitting box for my Z, and I have to admit, I am a little picky. I guess that's why I was going to do this myself to begin with, but like I said, his work seems meticulous, and I would only expect the same product that you received. On the other hand, I realize that people are paying $500+ for custom enclosures done with all fiberglass, and that would defintely be out of my price range.

I think I would be interested in the entire package you got, including the matching vinyl cover, and snap on/off grill. My only concern is him not having my interior to do the matching...
Old 02-03-2003, 08:24 AM
ColecatZ

I'd be in for a GB on the box as well....looks very nice.

Keep us up to date on the specs and pricing. I would want the color matched and snap on grill also.

Curious, you haven't mentioned how it sounds....or did I miss something?

Thanks for the time.

Quick Reply: my new stereo install - possible grp buy on sub enclosure?