Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Adding Video - need some opinions/help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding Video - need some opinions/help

Ok, I want to add a 7" screen in the z. I am getting a Farenheit 7" for the cubby and will be using that. The problem I have is that I'm not sure if I should go with a dedicated dvd player add on to my current head unit or go for an all in one head unit that also plays dvd's and sends the video out to the lcd.

If I get an all in one head unit I'm looking at the JVC KD-dv6200.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cZ7gwwA...0&I=257KDDV620

Now, I would prefer to have everything in one din rather than a seperate dvd player. I'm happy with my current head unit though. It is an Alpine 9857 with the sirius tuner and high speed ipod interface. The two things this unit has going for it over the jvc are a nicer display and the high speed ipod. I have not been able find any reviews of jvc's ipod interface so that's kind of the wildcard. Sirius has a jvc tuner that is the same as the alpine so that should be moot.

The thing the jvc has going for it besides being all-inclusive is that as I understand it will output some limited info to the lcd (possibly only when playing cd's or giga-mpd which is dvd full of mp3's). the dvd of mp3's is nice but my nano is probably a better option.

Any advise out there from people who might know better? Anything I'm overlooking or any other models I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:06 PM
seoulcity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well.. if you do just get a screen you'll need the dvd player/etc to actually work with it because your headunit doesnt have a video in/out to directly connect to your screen.. and jvc isnt a bad brand.. i have the jvc kd connected with a screen on the 03 cubby.. looks good and works great... but if your getting a screen you need a headunit with the video in/out to work with ur screen.. hope it helps..

yea the dvdplayer headunits doesnt have the full capabilty as a all-in-one screen with dvd.... but my jvc does have all the capablities as showing the radio/mp3/etc display on the screen because the jvc i have does come with a 3.5'' lcd...

Last edited by seoulcity; 09-03-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:47 PM
ckny

which jvd do you have - the avx2? can you tell me what it displays on your 7" screen? like, what when a cd is playing? how about ipod or satellite?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
TreeZ

Originally Posted by ckny
which jvd do you have - the avx2? can you tell me what it displays on your 7" screen? like, what when a cd is playing? how about ipod or satellite?
i have the dv6200. it displays CD info when CDs are played, but when radio or USB is played, it displays a blank screen. i don't know about iPod, since i don't have one.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:56 PM
ckny

treeZ: are you happy with the unit? Anything you'd change about it?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:48 PM
TreeZ

the only thing i'd change is that i'd wish it displayed something when using the USB port or radio, anything would be better than a blank screen. other than that, i love it. all the features i want at a very reasonable price.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM
ckny

cool thanks - anyone else have any opinions or otheroptions i should think about?