Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Best head unit for ipod use

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Bang350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best head unit for ipod use

Ok, so ive tried doing my own research but everything seems really confusing. I'm looking to get a head unit that I can directly connect my ipod to. I see that all the new head units pretty much let you connect your ipod to, but im looking for the models that people have had a good experience with. I'm looking to spend between $200 - $300. I'm pretty much open to what works best with my ipod video 30gb.

Also, I'm kind of confused how these ipods connect and how they actually work. Once the the head unit is installed, does anything else need to be installed for my ipod to work? I can't stand those horrible fm transmitters and the sound quality you get from them. I dont even use CD's anymore so everything I listen to is on my ipod which is why im so concerned with how they connect.

Also, ive heard that some of these units now use bluetooth. Is this true? How's the sound quality of this? Where can I find and buy something like that and what do I need for it to work? How the pricing and is it better than a direct connection? Basically anything I can be provided with.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:42 AM
702Fairlady

Alot of the decks now either have a seprate ipod adapter like Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc. That adapter gets hardwired into the back of the deck then there is a cord that comes off that you can lead anywhere, such as the cubby, in the center console store box, etc. Then you can plug the ipod in and control it right from the deck. On the nasty FM trans. you have to control the songs off the ipod which means it has to be in plain site. With these hardwired ones you can leave it in the cubby and dont have to worry about disconnecting everytime you leave the vehicle.

If you want to control the ipod off of the actual head unit you need to buy the actual adapter made for that unit. Most of them are running for about $100 at best buy, but have seen them for about 65 on woofersetc.com. So its pretty much whatever deck you like +$65-$100 for the adapter. I like Alpine and Pioneer personally.

If you DONT want to control the songs right from the deck, then you can just buy a 3.5 Mini to RCA converter (Headphone to RCA) and plug into the AUX input in the back. This option is probably about $15, but I dont know about the sound quality of either option because I dont have an ipod yet. But since I did work at best buy and sold just about everything in the store I know a little about a lot .. Hope this helps out a little bit.

**And as for the bluetooth. I believe the the bluetooth is not for the ipod and music transfer, but for use with cell phone so you can recieve calls without having to use an actual handsfree kit. With all of the new laws about driving while on the cell phone, this could be a nice convienice. I do not know about this because when I was workin at BBY they didnt have the bluetooth headunits yet. So someone with a little more knowledge on that may have to help you out.

Last edited by 702Fairlady; 11-09-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good lord, read a few posts and you will see THIS EXACT QUESTION WAS JUST ASKED.

12 threads down from the one YOU started.
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/228772-suggestions-on-ipod-compatible-hu.html

please watch this video before starting another thread
http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 PM
ETZ

I have a Alpine unit and its Great.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9856