Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My initial Valentine1 impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 09:33 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My initial Valentine1 impressions...

Well, I finally sucked it up, and spent some cash for some quality radar protection...I got a V1, and Iam glad I did. Yeah, the price tag is steep, but this radar detector is the best you can buy right now...many others will agree, I am sure.

I just got back from my first road trip...about 500 miles across the middle of Pennsylvania. It happened to be a weekend where alot of college students were returning from Spring Break. I passed Clarion, Grove City, Thiel, Penn State, and a few others on my drive from Harrisburg to Erie. For the msot part, I kept my speed between 80 and 90 mph while I got into the comfort zone with my new equipment. On the way up, I found 6 cops, all Staties, hiding in their usual places in the median, and well hidden from view until you are almost on top of them. My V1 detected EVERYONE...without any problem. In fact, most of these gave me a warning almost 1 mile in advance--NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL DETECTION. My only problem came when I was all alone with no traffic for more than 1/2+ miles in front of me, and I came up on my 6th and final pig who was using Instant-On. He detected me, but I was only going 80 mph at the time, and he apparently decided to wait for bigger and better fish. I saw 3 more on my return trip home, and all were detected with plenty of notification. In fact, one of these was using Instant-On, and I was trailing about 1/4 of a mile behind other traffic, and I still got a notice--it was weaker, but I knew to slow down.

I have a thread posted here with my stealth V1 installation, and I used a Version 1.7 detector plus the concealed display option. You cannot beat the multiple bogey detection, and direction pointers for determining radar location. I would recommend this detector to ANYONE...

The bottom line is, if you want to spend your money wisely, get a V1. You will learn to trust it, and it is always right with all radar being detected. I have grown to love mine after only 1 road trip ! In my estimation, it has saved me 9 times now...and thats alot of tickets and a sh*tpile of money !
Attached Thumbnails My initial Valentine1 impressions...-hidden_v1.jpg  
Old 03-19-2003, 09:37 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow I didnt realize that thing was sooo friggin huge!!!

but Ill probably get one eventually anyway.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:41 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's going to be my BDay present!

From me... to me. So there.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:46 AM
onecoolee

Yep, she's a bigun'...But, its hard to say its too big or put a price tag on the protection you get. It looks big in that picture, but you cannot even see it from the drivers side of the vehicle in that mounting location. With the concealed display option, it is totally hidden from the drivers side view.

Keep in mind, that its a good idea to mount it within reach, so that you can reach the volume adjustment ****. When I have my tunes up, I always make sure that I can still hear the V1, especially if am are cruising on the highway...
Attached Thumbnails My initial Valentine1 impressions...-v1_front.jpg  
Old 03-19-2003, 09:47 AM
onecoolee

My concealed display mounting location...
Attached Thumbnails My initial Valentine1 impressions...-v1_driver_view.jpg  
Old 03-19-2003, 11:58 AM
2002 Maxima SE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This slightly OT, but....

I don't know if the 350z comes with the mesh 'sun visor stick on' behind your rearview mirror. Does it? My Maxima makes use of two plastic panels that slide out from the sunvisor toward the mirror.

Does anyone know where I could get some stick on mesh for the sun coming in between the sunvisors and behind the rearview mirror? I once saw some Mustangs in Pa that came with this as a dealer option...so I know its out there.

BTW, I lived in Harrisburg for about 2 years....great town.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:35 PM
GSRto350Z

Default Stock

I don't know if the 350z comes with the mesh 'sun visor stick on' behind your rearview mirror. Does it? My Maxima makes use of two plastic panels that slide out from the sunvisor toward the mirror.
All of the 350Z's come stock with the mesh tint.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:54 PM
dr_gallup

Has it fallen off the windshield yet? I didn't think it would stay on for long unless you scraped off the dots. I put mine on the headliner rivet back by the CHMSL. Excellent stealth location, works great with the remote in the NAV compartment (no NAV). Virtually invisible with the NAV door closed. I cranked the main volume to max and the mute volume way down. With the remote close to hand it is easy to mute it whenever it goes off.

My only complaint is that it falses on every door opener around and goes back to full volume each time it thinks it has found another bogey. I would prefer if it would stay quiet once I hit the mute. The full logic is best in my experience.

Those Smokey Bears are thick on the PA pike and I79 aren't they? They must have a den near Grove City, I see them there every time. I drive up there a couple of times a year. Ohio & VA are thick too, I think they have one cop for every ten citizens. Where I live in SC it is not nearly as bad but NC will ticket you for less than 10 over!