Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Radar screwed up my VDC and Gas Door Release

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:57 AM
DJMatrix1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar screwed up my VDC and Gas Door Release

Ok, so this weekend i had a brand new passport radar installed in my car. It works awesome and the install was sweet. I didnt have the time or patience to work on it myself. Big mistake

The guy who wired it in has done other installs for me before, but screwed this one up.

So basically I went to turn my VDC off after the radar install and i hit the VDC off button. Nothing happened. The VDC OFF light did not illuminate, and the car still was operating with VDC engaged.

Then in fumbling in the dark to make sure I was hitting the right button, I hit the gas door release button. And then, the VDC OFF light comes on.

So I hit the VDC button to make sure that he hadn't reversed the two, and of course my gas door did not release.

Now i have my VDC wired into my Gas release button. And I can't get my Gas Door to release. I have 65 Miles to empty and the dealer is 20 miles away. What do i do? i need major help here guys.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have him reverse his mistake? I know this doesn't help but it's kinda funny LOL
Old 12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

use a flat screw driver and some cloth to pry the door open. It wont hurt it. My door got stuck one time. Pull the panels and reverse the two...try that before you freak out.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:14 PM
240Zplus110

You can release the gas lock from inside the car. You will have to remove a panel in the hatch area to access the lock actuator mechanism. The lock consists of a plastic plunger which you can pull/push to release the door. You will likely need to disconnect the wire connector to operate it manually.

Good luck!

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 12-05-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by 240Zplus110
You can release the gas lock from inside the car. You will have to remove a panel in the hatch area to access the lock mechanism. The lock consists of a plastic plunger which you can pull/push to release the door. You will likely need to disconnect the wire connector to operate it manually.

Good luck!
dont even need to do that. Rubber keeps the door closed. just pry it open.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 PM
steelyloc3

hey, d.j., being an electrician, sounds like he screwed up a couple of splices. I dont know how handy your are but you would probably need a meter to troubleshoot the problem. (find out load and line side of switches to correct splices). Sounds like he wired your radar detector into the feed for the gas release then abandoned the gas release all together. then he sliced the vdc into the switch for the gas release. I doubt he did any damage. Just need to correct spice. You should make him come to you to fix the problem. And if he does come to correct it make sure he is confident in knowing what he is doing, before he does some real damage! Oh, one more thing. try different combinations on both switches. he might have wired both switches together, and one is shutting, turning on the other.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Driven1
Professional

Easy fix. Remove the panel and reverse the conections for the VDC and the gas door. Problem should be fixed. He probably accidently reversed them when he reconnected to put the panel under the dash back on.

This happened to me, and the gas door didn't work either.

Last edited by Driven1; 12-05-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:18 PM
DJMatrix1067

hey guys. so i pulled the dash and found he just dropped a wire in there. got everything working nice and clean again. thanks for the help.

One more thing.

I was noticing while i was down there that one of the wires into my OBD plug has been cut. i called the guy who installed my radar to ask him a different question, and he mentioned it without me prompting. which tells me it wasnt him that cut it.

So should i be worried? i have no clue if the OBD works or not. I just bought the car and havent taken it to be serviced yet.

I also just realized that my service engine soon light is on. Should i be concerned or is this just normal for an engine checkpoint (odo approaching 15000)