Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Has anyone made a special hidden ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:12 AM
fatcircles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone made a special hidden ignition switch?

One of my friends is an electrical engineer and he has made them for all of his cars. Its a simple on/off switch that he hides somewhere in his car, that way if someone breaks into his car they cannot turn the engine on without flipping the switch first. Have any of you guys done this on your Z's?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ahve seen this on a few Zs...but it relatively simple mod any alarm guy should be able to do it

the best was back int he day, i had my alarm guy do a kill switch where we modified the cig lighter so its empty, but you in order to engage it , you have to take out hte cig ligher, stick your finger INTO the socket to press a button lol i didnt think people ever figured that one out

b
Old 12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
i ahve seen this on a few Zs...but it relatively simple mod any alarm guy should be able to do it

the best was back int he day, i had my alarm guy do a kill switch where we modified the cig lighter so its empty, but you in order to engage it , you have to take out hte cig ligher, stick your finger INTO the socket to press a button lol i didnt think people ever figured that one out

b
That would be a pain in the a$$ with the Z since the cig lighter is behind the front seats in the center console. But it is a cool idea and VERY syealth.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:06 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatcircles
One of my friends is an electrical engineer and he has made them for all of his cars. Its a simple on/off switch that he hides somewhere in his car, that way if someone breaks into his car they cannot turn the engine on without flipping the switch first. Have any of you guys done this on your Z's?
It is better not to use a switch, but to use something electrical of the car. For instance you can make it where the car will not start unless the High Beams are on, or you can use the hazzard switch ETC. ETC.. You get the idea. It is very simple to do. All you need is a standard relay.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 AM
jtabraham

My dad's 92 Dodge Caravan had that from back in the day. In order to start, you had to put the key in, turn to on, press the "rear defroster" button, then turn the ignition. I think it was a feature that dodge offered on their vans back then...it definitely frustrated relatives who borrowed it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 PM
KPierson
Banned

In order for that to be effective you need to rerun the entire starter wire. Otherwise, when they go to hotwire the car it will turn right over (assuming you are talking about interupting the starter wire).

If you interupt fuel injectors or ignition coils it won't be an issue.

I do, however, think that the OEM nissan transponder key (as weak of a security measure it acutally is) is more effective (and less obtrusive) then installing a switch.

Anyone who is capable (pretty much any 'pro' car thief) of bypassing the transponder key will get your car if they want it, regardless of how many 'switches' you've installed!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 PM
MustGoFastR

I have a switch installed inline on my starter wire from the ignition harness as part of my S2K start button install (to disable key start and make you have to use the button to start the car). It's easy to do, but unneccessary as a security measure due to the OEM starter kill associated with the transponder chip in the key.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:08 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

at the end fo the day, if a theif wants your car, its not hard to pull off, a flat bed or tow truck with rollers will get your car with in minutes if they are good lol

b
Old 12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Dirty Dave

Back in the day i used to go in the fuse box and install a switch between the fuel pump fuse to cut it out. Cant start a car without fuel, but you can flat bed it !