Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Garmin Press Release-OEM built-in Nav System for 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Garmin Press Release-OEM built-in Nav System for 350Z

Ok, so I got your attention. I have learned that a thread needs a “catchy” subject in the title area. My recent thread entitled “Kenwood LZ-702W?” had just a few views and no responses. Nodda… nothing… no replies. I was trying to find out if you could install and use the Kenwood LZ-702W monitor in the upper cubby in conjunction with the Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Unit. Zero responses.

Just to show my thread’s title isn’t completely bogus, here is a link to a press release for the Garmin product:
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/476070

It is a well-documented fact on this Forum that the Farenheit T-7000MHR (as well as the Power Acoustik PT-700MHR) fit perfectly into the 2003 Z’s upper/forward cubby (and for that matter, into the 2004-2006 cubby with minor cutting-modifications or swaps for the 2003 cubby). I had hoped (still hoping) I could use the Kenwood LZ-702W monitor (since it is a touch screen) and the Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Unit (which is compatible to the LZ-702W). But, nobody responded to that thread, so I believe it may not be a good idea going in that direction. At the least, it is unknown territory. Look at my other thread (entitled “Kenwood LZ-702W?”) to see my concerns.
So now I’m considering this: Install a monitor (Farenheit T-7000MHR or the Power Acoustik PT-700MHR) in the upper/forward cubby space. Thanks to the info-generous people on this Forum, I know that works.

The navigation input would be a Garmin GVN 52. Garmin states that there is no touch screen capability with this arrangement. OK, I can live with that. And, that’s knowing I need to use a remote control for the Farenheit screen (at least to turn it off and on) and a second remote control (rf) for the Garmin navigation unit. Yikes… my dashboard is looking like my coffee table in my TV room, with multiple remotes all over the place! I hope I don’t lose one of those remotes (lost under the couch in the TV room or out the passenger door at the gas station).

Sorry for the lengthy post (probably a reason for no responses). --Spike
Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the Garmin is an OEM input to a manufacture like Kenwood or anyone else. The unit is "customized" to fit the needs of that manufacture. I'll assume that the Garmin produces standard NTSC video rather than RGB/VGA video but beyond that who knows.

The Farenheit takes NTSC video on an RCA line level connector.

You could have gotten the measurements for the LZ-702W monitor and compared them to the ones for the T-7000MHR.

You're forging new ground here.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Looks like the Garmin is an OEM input to a manufacture like Kenwood or anyone else. The unit is "customized" to fit the needs of that manufacture. I'll assume that the Garmin produces standard NTSC video rather than RGB/VGA video but beyond that who knows.

The Farenheit takes NTSC video on an RCA line level connector.

You could have gotten the measurements for the LZ-702W monitor and compared them to the ones for the T-7000MHR.

You're forging new ground here.
Thanks for the bump and a reply with good information. I agree with your insight on Garmin’s marketing plan. Garmin and Magellan were the first popular GPS suppliers for pilots, nautical navigation and the outdoorsman market. 10 years ago, it was OK to provide only self-contained units with the basics and an esoteric interface. That changed when NavTech began creating a data base that connects road maps and addresses to GPS locations. The automobile industry (as well as ambulance and other emergency services) was a natural for this product. Alpine jumped on it and they got Chrysler. Garmin did not have a modular product that connected to different digital displays and other products. They had to do something. The Garmin GVN 52 is their first “black box” product. The Garmin version is either “crippled,” or Garmin does not reveal all of its capabilities. For example, Garmin says that the GVN 52 is not touch screen capable. But, the Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Unit (looks the same and made by Garmin) can run a touch screen.

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navigation Unit (aka Garmin) does produce NTSC video and uses composite (RCA type) connections for displays. So either the Garmin or Kenwood box should drive the Farenheit. The Kenwood KNA-G520 is matched to the Kenwood LZ-720W for touch screen support. Garmin says their brand unit does not support touch screen. My guess is that the Garmin GVN 52 would work fine (and support touch screen function) with the Kenwood LZ-702W touch screen monitor. In fact the Garmin manual for the GVN 52 describes all of the GVN 52 functions as if they were only touch screen procedures. It makes you wonder. The Garmin GVN 52 comes with a remote control, and the Kenwood version does not.

The measurements for the Farenheit T-7000MHR and the Kenwood LZ-702W are nearly identical (within a couple of millimeters for both the screen size and the unit size). That means the Kenwood LZ-702W will fit the 2003 Z’s upper/forward cubby with this caveat: The Kenwood has its controls along the bottom of the display and there is no remote. Mounting the Kenwood in the 03’s upper/forward cubby is possible, but the controls won’t be accessible, and there is no remote control. That is not a problem with the Farenheit since it operates off a remote control. But then you have the issue of touch screen controls (nice to have) that the Farenheit lacks and the Kenwood has. And, the Kenwood KNA-G520 does not have a remote control while the Garmin GVN 52 does.

It appears you would have to go Farenheit and Garmin GVN 52 if you wanted to use the forward/upper cubby space in the Z. But… I’m not sure. You are correct. I am on new and unfamiliar ground.

This is complicated…. not sure I even know what I just said

--Spike
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the KNA-G510 with the LZ-702W separate from my DDX-8017. Should be a nice setup when I'm done.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I am using the KNA-G510 with the LZ-702W separate from my DDX-8017. Should be a nice setup when I'm done.
Hi,

In a few days I'm headed to Palm Springs for a week of vacation, so I won't be checking in here until the 20th or so. But... I cannot wait to hear about your project and the results. Just your sign-on (THE TECH) inspires confidence. You obviously know what I'm trying to do. You understand.

I am a little surprised this thread has had little activity. I think Paul is correct, it is "...forging new ground...").

Thanks for posting and the reply.

--Spike
Old 12-12-2006, 06:00 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem. Hopefully all goes well.