Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What happened to MTX and Rockford all I see is this JL garbage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:22 AM
ooohhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What happened to MTX and Rockford all I see is this JL garbage

I live on the east coast and want to know why most of your rides have JL audio subs and almost no one uses MTX, rockford or Kicker amps and subs. Is this a regional thing or is JL the shizzle and no on told me?

I just set my Z up with an MTX 6152 amp, a thunder 5000 10 in and a custom pro logic type 1.5 cubic inch box. This set-up is rediculous. booming all over the MD< DC< VA area.

Gotta know why no one else seems to be going that route.

Are JLs that great? better than MTX, fosgate and kicker?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 AM
jabroney12

Because MTX,Kicker, and RF all sounds like crap. They're loud, but crap in Sound Quality. Just imagine rolling down the street bumping to those subs, most people outside only hear a long extended fart that coming from your trunk that is completely not in sync with your music.

People like JL because they are a overall very good SQ and SPL sub that gets loud while not sounding like crap. Overpriced? Yes.
Worth it? Maybe. People's Satisfaction with their product and reputation? Definitely.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Subw00er

Its the next gen man, RF MTx - those guys were out 5 years ago. Jl's amps are good, I use one, but their speakers/subs suck, in my opinion (I'm a SQ guy, so all you spl junkies, lay off).
Old 03-26-2003, 09:53 AM
WebToker

Default Re: What happened to MTX and Rockford all I see is this JL garbage

Originally posted by ooohhh
I live on the east coast and want to know why most of your rides have JL audio subs and almost no one uses MTX, rockford or Kicker amps and subs. Is this a regional thing or is JL the shizzle and no on told me?

I just set my Z up with an MTX 6152 amp, a thunder 5000 10 in and a custom pro logic type 1.5 cubic inch box. This set-up is rediculous. booming all over the MD< DC< VA area.

Fizzilel my nizzle!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 10:25 AM
ooohhh

Kicker has won big at the last 2-3 big shows. I have heard 8in subs kick like 12s.

Also I just did a search and most of the JL subs I have seen on this site are low end products. I didn't see a lot of 10 w7s.

Just a lot of 10w 6 and 10 w3.... Most of these only have a 300 watt Max.

MTX and RF low line stuff is garbage but their higher end stuff (d rated) has got to be better than the low end JL.

thoughts?
Old 03-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Zmoney

JL is good sheit!

There is a shop that is local here that does many high end cars for famous people and have done numerous features in different magz. They swear by JL but go with what you like.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:55 AM
jabroney12

JL W3 and W6 are by no means low end, they still retail from $180 to $300. However, you can find similar quality subs at less then half the cost. The W7 is one bad *****, but thats ridiculous to pay $480 for one and thats EBAY prices! If your looking for a subwoofer that is on the same level, go for the other big 2. IDMAX and Adire Brahma. These retail much less and have similar unbeleivable SQ and SPL. I wish I had money for one of these

The shows that you mention that Kicker won, are straight Sound deafening DB shows. Like I said they are very loud, but thats about it.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:49 AM
ooohhh

I see.

Thanks jabroney12

JL Audio MTX/RF
Old 03-27-2003, 06:32 AM
kohlersc

I suggest Eclipse. Been incredibly happy with them.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:38 AM
NightRider

Well, I know JL's are nice subs. My only problem is that everyone has them. I decided to go a different route. In my Maxima, I run an Adire Audio Brahma 12". It hits extremely hard and is very tight. In the Z I have a Kicker Solobaric S10L7. It does not sound like crap. The bass is very tight and controlled. I'm a SQ person myself and am very satisfied with this sub. I would stay away from MTX and Rockford. MTX is cheap and you can get much better than Rockford for the price they charge.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:47 PM
React3

Jl's give a unique sub bass to me.. I not really a big fan of commonly used equipment... I'm going with all a/d/s audio in my Z...
Old 03-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Encore

I thinks JL's are great subs, and amps, but Ive got to disagree w/ rockford not sounding good. The Punch HX2's are some of the best sounding sub's in the right enclosure. Yes than can be very boomy in the wrong enclosure, or tuning, but they take tons of abuse from bassheads. As for there amps the type Rf amps are studio quality that JL doesnt come close to touching. The only amp out there thats even in the same ballpark is Xtant (Mitek owned, the maker of MTX). My whole system (in the works) is Rockford. Ill take the pepsi challeng w/anyone on sound quality when I am done. I think you can make crap on a stick sound good if installed, and tuned properly. As for MTX, we use to sale the crap out of it until there dust caps started popping off. There warranty sucks. They have a 3yr warranty, but if you have a problem you have to return the product. When you get the refurbed piece back it only has a 30 day warranty. There new 9500 subs sound really good. Very similar to a W7 w/ W6 prices. I think the W7 is the best sounding sub out there right now, but not by much. As far as amps, and mids go I think they take a back seat to Rockford. Just my opinion. As far as kicker goes if you are a bass head that loves low, and thundering bass (not for me) check out the L7 solo. If You want to go crazy do the 18's. Even the 8's thump, but true sound quality is not there. Not that Ive heard anyway, but they slam.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Encore

Originally posted by React3
Jl's give a unique sub bass to me.. I not really a big fan of commonly used equipment... I'm going with all a/d/s audio in my Z...
I dont understand why more people dont use A/D/S. There mids are incredible, and there tweets are the smoothest in the biz.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:10 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Encore
I dont understand why more people dont use A/D/S. There mids are incredible, and there tweets are the smoothest in the biz.
same reason ADS home equipt is almost extinct (even though it is great stuff) and Bose is a HUGE company (even though they sound like crap)-ITS ALL ABOUT MARKETING!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:34 PM
djlynch

MTX all the way for amps (500D, 6304) and subs (thunder6000 10x3).
Polk audio for mids and highs (dx components in doors, coax in rear)
check the link in the sig.

JLs have a great tight sound, but I have had too friends with 10w6s and one with 12w0s and all of them sound tight for the first 6-12months but then get too boomy (aka, wear out surround to easily). This was 3 years ago, but I have never been a fan of JL since.

Last edited by djlynch; 03-27-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:50 AM
ScottC

Default Re: What happened to MTX and Rockford all I see is this JL garbage

Originally posted by ooohhh

Hahahahahahahahah MTX has always been crap!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:13 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: What happened to MTX and Rockford all I see is this JL garbage

Originally posted by ScottC
the same can NOT be said about fosgate though.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:35 PM
djlynch

Really. Their older lower end stuff was crap, but what is "crap" about their 6000 or 8000 series subs or their amps? Or even their older "thunderpro" or "blue thunder" lines. The bottom end stuff sucks, but so does the bottom line kicker (impulse) or fosgate or JL. You get what you pay for.

Don't forget, MTX was the first ISO9000 certified car stereo manufacturer (meaning their stuff does what it says it will do).

ALSO, the manfacturer of MTX also makes XTant.

What makes it "crap" again???
Old 03-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Cheever

A long time ago (~8 yrs ago) I had a aftermarket stereo system installed in my Eagle Talon. In the subwoofer section, I had 2 JL 10W1 installed with a Kenwood 921 amp pushing them ( 100x2 watts). It doesn't sound like much however, I did enter the car into one of those SPL contests. The stereo hit 139 db. Gotta love those small interiors of sports cars !!!

Cheever
Old 04-07-2003, 10:04 AM
ooohhh

I still have a problem here.

1. I switched up and went to a MTX 10'" 6000 series and a 8000 series AMP. I got the Sub for $70 (reg $119) and the Amp on clearance @ crutchfield for $180 (reg $400). That is $250 for the whole set-up.
that is a crazy price and offers crazy sound!!!!!!!!!!

2. The guy that designed most of rockford's stuff left RF and went over to MTX. So the guy that is hiping RF and bashing MTX has been lead astray.

3. They look great with the Zs interior.

The JLs look like trash.

Quick Reply: What happened to MTX and Rockford all I see is this JL garbage