Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Opinions for the new year... dvd, navigation, + display

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007 | 04:13 PM
mitchgt

Default Opinions for the new year... dvd, navigation, + display

My Current Setup…

03’ 350z non-bose
Diamond Audio front speakers/amp routed via RCA & converter to (stock) head unit
Diamond Audio sub/amp routed via RCA – converter attached to a driver side rear lead

So I am still currently using the stock head unit and am sad to maybe have to give it up yet, I’m ready for some an LCD and DVD playback.

This is what I want to accomplish:

Screen in front dash.
Being able to play mp3/DVD
Some type of navigation system.

All at a affordable price.

My questions:

Because of the way my audio is wired currently to my stock head unit; Am I able to buy a cheaper DVD player w/o the RCA outputs and use an adapter to the Nissan audio plug to listen to the DVD/monitor?

I have looked into a few navigation systems and have decided that some which would play off the Fahrenheit screen with remote access only may be in my budget. Or possibly a hand held unit. If I went with the remote access only model how would I switch the input to the Fahrenheit screen?

I’m pretty computer savvy… not well enough to build a car pc right off the bat… but I have read a few threads and defiantly sounds like a great system. However with the roads they way they are here I would be afraid the conditions are too harsh. Also it seems I may not need such a system anyway.

Thanks for any input in advance… - mitch

Last edited by mitchgt; 01-04-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2007 | 08:38 PM
mitchgt

ttt edit
Old 01-04-2007 | 09:54 PM
mitchgt

I was thinking about the following headunit, as a replacment. This one with the RCA inputs and outputs...
http://www.mysimon.com/Kenwood_Excel...ml?showspecs=1

Kenwood Excelon DDX8017 Touchscreen ... One question does this have output capabilites to be a source for a second screen.. probably the farenheit.
Old 01-04-2007 | 10:00 PM
Spike100

Hi Mitch,

Saw your post and would like to offer some information. But, I am guessing about your current configuration. Better to know this before offering any advice.

If I have this right, you replaced the front speakers, still have the stock rear speakers, added an amp, and you have the stock HU. Is that right? --Spike
Old 01-04-2007 | 11:08 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by mitchgt
I was thinking about the following headunit, as a replacment. This one with the RCA inputs and outputs...
http://www.mysimon.com/Kenwood_Excel...ml?showspecs=1

Kenwood Excelon DDX8017 Touchscreen ... One question does this have output capabilites to be a source for a second screen.. probably the farenheit.
Well yeah… and great idea,

The Kenwood DDX-8017 is a touch-screen device to which you can connect the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit (and use its on screen navigation touch screen functions).

That would be a great solution for your Z. The Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Unit is a hide-away unit that you could place in the cubby space behind the driver seat.

The Kenwood DDX-8017 is very flexible and has provisions for: 2 RCA AV Inputs / 1 RCA AV Output. That means you can connect the navigation box and another device (e.g., a rearview camera, a second DVD video player, etc.). And, you could connect the video out port to your Farenheit screen for viewing DVDs. You would probably want to always view your navigation on the DDX-8017 screen since that screen supports touch functions and the Farenheit does not. You would use the Farenheit screen to view your DVDs, but you could also put the navigation screen to the Farenheit for viewing only (better line of site to the driver) and still control the navigation system on the DDX-8017 touch-screen. That would be cool.

You should check with Kenwood Tech Support (they are accessed on Kenwood’s web site via e-mail) and ask about simultaneous display on the DDX-8017 screen and a secondary screen. My guess is you can do that.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-04-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2007 | 05:35 AM
mitchgt

Yes, I have replaced the front speakers/tweeters with diamond audio d6 line & amp. I didn't want to replace the rear speakers with the expensive loud speakers... you can honestly hardly hear them & it is now wired to the HU. VIA RCA's then a converter to go to the HU. THen I have a Diamond audio d6 subwoofer (amped) and connected to the headunut via RCA then a converter to the rear speaker lead.

But if I go with the 8017 then I would just run the RCA's all they way to the HU and not have any rear speakers period... right?

However my original question was (before thinking about the 8017)... Can I buy a cheap HU without the preouts b/c of the way my HU is wired now..

If I went with the 8017 I am not sure if I would get the Kenwood Navy System... I haven't researched much about it yet. Personally I think I may want to test out a few Navy interfaces before picking one. And with a standalone Navysystem I could for sure have DVD playback, and GPS at the same time while driving via the 2 screens 8017 and a farenheit.

Last edited by mitchgt; 01-05-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2007 | 10:56 AM
mitchgt

Model Differences: DDX-8017 DDX-7017 DDX-6019
DDX-7015 Color TFT Active Matrix Display 6.5" 6.5" 6.95"
6.5" Motorized Slide-down Front Panel Yes Yes Yes
Yes Interactive Touchscreen Control Yes Yes Yes
Yes Selectable Wall Paper Yes Yes Yes
Yes Installer/Backup Memory of Audio/Video Setup Yes Yes Yes
Yes Maximum Output Power : 50W x 4 (MOSFET Power IC) Yes Yes Yes
Yes Pre-Outs Gold Plated 5.1ch Preouts with 5V Pre-output Level (Front/ Rear/ Center/ Subwoofer) 3 Preouts with 5V Pre-out Level (Front, Rear, Sub) 3 Preouts with 2V Pre-out Level (Front, Rear, Sub)
3 Preouts with 2V Pre-out Level AV Input/Ouptuts 2 RCA AV Inputs/ 1 RCA AV Output 2 RCA AV Inputs / 1 RCA AV Output 1 RCA AV Inputs + 1 Rear Camera Input/ 1 RCA AV Output
1 RCA AV Inputs / 1 RCA AV Output Video Input for Rear View Camera Yes Yes Yes
Yes RGB Input for Navigation System Yes Yes Yes
Yes Dolby Pro Logic II / dts surround Yes Yes Yes
Yes Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Built-In No No
Optional (KDS-P901) SRS WOW / Circle Surround Automotive Yes No No
No Sound Control 4 Band Parametric EQ/ Digital X`over/ Listening Position Control System Q/ System E`s+ System Q/ System E`s+
System Q/ System E`s+ DVD Menu Direct Touchscreen Control Yes Yes Yes
Yes MPEG 1/2 Video files (.mpg) and JPEG files (.jpg) Playback Yes Yes Yes
Yes Dual Zone Source & Volume Control Yes Yes Yes
Yes DVD±R/RW Compatible Yes Yes Yes
Yes External Media Control — iPod Ready Yes Yes Yes
Yes Optional TV Tuner (KTC-V300N) Yes Yes Yes
Yes Optional Center Speaker Unit (KSC-510CTR) Yes No No
No Optional Navigation (KNA-G510) Yes Yes Yes
Yes

If these are the only differences then really I guess I only need the 6019 w/ the bigger screen. Right? Unless there are huge differences with the DSP?