Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Any socal kickpod owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
beggohbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any socal kickpod owners?

I've just recently had my old car stereo system moved over from my old car to my Z. I reused almost everything I had except a switch from an Alpine 7998 HU to a Pioneer Avid D1, and so far, the SQ is a far cry from what it used to be. The highs and mids sound muffled and the system just lacks the overall warmth and depth it used to have. I'm no audiophile, but even my gf was surprised at how bad the system sounds! My current system specs:

Pioneer Avic D1
Orion HCCA 6s (6.5" components and 1" tweeter in stock locations)
Orion Xtreme 500.4 amp
JL 10" W0 in Nazar's glove box

I'm sure the change in HU has something to do with it, but I'm starting to get the feeling its also an imaging issue with the stock location on the speakers. I've done some research into getting kickpods and I was hoping there was someone local (LA/OC) who wouldn't mind meeting up so I can see if it truly makes that much of a difference. After a set of new speakers, pods, and replacement kick panels, the cost is pretty significant at over $600 so if you have an opinion, lets hear it! Thanks in advance

Darius

Last edited by beggohbee; 01-05-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beggohbee
I've just recently had my old car stereo system moved over from my old car to my Z. I reused almost everything I had except a switch from an Alpine 7998 HU to a Pioneer Avid D1, and so far, the SQ is a far cry from what it used to be. The highs and mids sound muffled and the system just lacks the overall warmth and depth it used to have. I'm no audiophile, but even my gf was surprised at how bad the system sounds! My current system specs:

Pioneer Avic D1
Orion HCCA 6s (6.5" components and 1" tweeter in stock locations)
Orion Xtreme 500.4 amp
JL 10" W0 in Nazar's glove box

I'm sure the change in HU has something to do with it, but I'm starting to get the feeling its also an imaging issue with the stock location on the speakers. I've done some research into getting kickpods and I was hoping there was someone local (LA/OC) who wouldn't mind meeting up so I can see if it truly makes that much of a difference. After a set of new speakers, pods, and replacement kick panels, the cost is pretty significant at over $600 so if you have an opinion, lets hear it! Thanks in advance

Darius

HU does affect sound

the pioneer has a pretty neutral sound

there is alot to adjust on that unit

how much time have you spent dialing in the HU

i suffer fron high frequency hearing loss the more i play this audio game
i really dont like the door panel pods , because tweeters at my shins are not brite enough

i like the tweeter placement in the factory location , or when a car does not have a location like the z , i like using the pillars

but how i prefer mine may not be what sounds better to you

in your other car were the tweeters less than 2" from your mids or greater than 7" from your mids

IMO moving the tweeters from the right next to your face , south down the door panel to your shins does not do it for me

but again maybe for you the pods would sound warm as you describe

1st i would try to dial in head unit because it is fast and free

maybe listen to a z with door pods for a decision

also the same equipment in 2 different cars , one car always has to sound better
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 AM
beggohbee

I've made some adjustments using the HU, but to be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing when messing with some of the crossover settings. I just changed the basics (High/Mid/Low), maxing out the mid.

My old car was a 2001 325ci, and the tweeter/mid relationship is very similar to the Z setup.... the only thing that is possibly different is the orientation of the tweeter since the BMW's tweeter was mounted next to the door handle.

I'm also somewhat skeptical about the idea of kick panels themselves, which is exactly why I posted this thread. Someone prove me wrong!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by beggohbee
I've made some adjustments using the HU, but to be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing when messing with some of the crossover settings. I just changed the basics (High/Mid/Low), maxing out the mid.

My old car was a 2001 325ci, and the tweeter/mid relationship is very similar to the Z setup.... the only thing that is possibly different is the orientation of the tweeter since the BMW's tweeter was mounted next to the door handle.

I'm also somewhat skeptical about the idea of kick panels themselves, which is exactly why I posted this thread. Someone prove me wrong!

listen most guys and gals on the forum like the pods

i am not trying to mess with a good thing

my comps i feed about 400 watts rms so thats 200 rms right and 200 rms left
that is gobs of wattage for 2 ,6.5" and 2 ,1.1" , and on top of that i really need them in my face

most don't need this much front stage , but most aren't metering close to 150 db

my last 2 set ups were over 147 db and with that much low end i need this much highs

in you case again the radio has so much to adjust i feel that with proper setting you will be very happy with your new HU

do you have someone who has a good ear and knowlegde of the pionner ?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:11 AM
350zspl
Banned

fyi i use a pionner avh5700dvd in my z

you have so many adjustments

you might like way it sounds with your phase reversed

it will take about 30 minutes for a qualified ear and hand to adjust your HU
listening to different types of music

do it 1st it is free
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
beggohbee

Originally Posted by 350zspl
listen most guys and gals on the forum like the pods

i am not trying to mess with a good thing

my comps i feed about 400 watts rms so thats 200 rms right and 200 rms left
that is gobs of wattage for 2 ,6.5" and 2 ,1.1" , and on top of that i really need them in my face

most don't need this much front stage , but most aren't metering close to 150 db

my last 2 set ups were over 147 db and with that much low end i need this much highs

in you case again the radio has so much to adjust i feel that with proper setting you will be very happy with your new HU

do you have someone who has a good ear and knowlegde of the pionner ?

I wish I did. I used to goto this local shop where they installed my last few systems, but I've since moved away. I'm ashamed to admit I actually had most of the equipment installed at my local best buy, and in hindsight, the tech I worked with is a complete moron. But unfortunately for me, finding a local shop that you can trust to do quality work isn't always the easiest thing. I actually went the BB route simply because it was cheap (they un-install for free).

I used to always DIY in my 'youth' but have since found it difficult to find the time. The installation part is easy to learn, but I know next to nothing about tuning!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
RunyonAve

Well next time you do need an audio shop you can go to Pacific Audio and Alarm in fullerton. Not affliated with them in any way and i've never had my work done by them, but i do know that they are a reputable shop in socal that does quality work.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 AM
350zspl
Banned

runyonave +1

even if you need to make a Saturday drive a few hours to a good shop go ahead and make a day of it

when dialed in it will be better much better

it might just be all you need
Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brandon, why dont you let him demo yourset up?

in the Z, your set up doesnt sound too different than the two way kicks i build for people , with perhaps better midrange detail being a 3 way set up
Old 01-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I envey your mids

I've gone with ever set up you can think of:
-a/d/s 5.25 coaxials in the kicks, 6.5 a/d/s mids in the doors

-Phoenix Gold 9 inch mids in the kicks, 5.25 coaxials in the doors, 1 inch a/d/s tweeters in the sail pods

-Currently: a/d/s 5.25 components in the kick panels

My current set up is by far my best. I have nazar's door pods but I have yet to find anything I would put in them. Regardless, my midbass is not lacking with the a/d/s 5.25s nearly on axis.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM
RunyonAve

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
brandon, why dont you let him demo yourset up?

in the Z, your set up doesnt sound too different than the two way kicks i build for people , with perhaps better midrange detail being a 3 way set up
Yea he can hear it if he wants to. The imaging in my car is really awesome and i'm sure you could get an idea of what better speaker placement will do for you, even though mine is a 3way.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM
beggohbee

Originally Posted by RunyonAve
Yea he can hear it if he wants to. The imaging in my car is really awesome and i'm sure you could get an idea of what better speaker placement will do for you, even though mine is a 3way.
Sweet dude. PM me and let me know when you're free and such. I'd be happy to drive down to Fullerton. Thanks