Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

OEM Bose headunit problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
whitehorse2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Bose headunit problem

I'm not much of an audio guy, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but perhaps someone can help me out:

I have a stock bose system and the cd player skips on all six (unscratched) cd's initially when it is cold. The problem goes away after 5-30 minutes of driving and seems to be related to the outside ambient air temp--i.e. the colder it is the more it skips. Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

This problem will only get worse as time passes. It'll skip with the slightest bumps and dips on the road. I've had mine replaced by the dealership under warranty. Second one worked fine for a few months and then started skipping also. This one was even worse than my first one. There's no way to get rid of this problem. The best/cheapest way for you would be to replace the HU, which is what I did. With just the HU replacement everything will noticeably improve. For best quality however, I recommend replacing the speakers/sub also.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Quijano187

Originally Posted by whitehorse2000
I'm not much of an audio guy, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but perhaps someone can help me out:

I have a stock bose system and the cd player skips on all six (unscratched) cd's initially when it is cold. The problem goes away after 5-30 minutes of driving and seems to be related to the outside ambient air temp--i.e. the colder it is the more it skips. Any suggestions?

Im sorry if this sounds bad but im going to blunt as possible.. You let you car when up when its cold, so why dont you wait untill the cabin is warm for the cd player.. you said yourself after 10 mins or it works fine cause it warm.. If you look at most eletronic gadgets , most of them dont work 100% when its 32 or below... Just be patient and let it warm up .. ITs not a big deaL.

you be surprise how many other cd players do the same thing...

i hope this helps
Old 01-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Quijano187

PS i have always had this problem but once its warm ... no skipping at all , not even bumps.. I have 03 also..

peace
Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
whitehorse2000

thanks to all. If I do replace it, are there players that are particularly easy to drop in?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Quijano187

any single din or double din would be easy..
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Be sure to get a Metra dash kit for fitment and their harness for wiring the new HU. That makes things a lot easier.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:14 PM
SteveZ

It's going. Mine did some similar things and first started with the left channel not kicking in when cold, then not at all. CD player would cut out (no sound, like skipping but it still played sort of).

Replaced last year under warranty.

With any electronics, cold is just the canary in the coal mine - pretty soon it will do it all the time.

HTH

SZ
Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Quijano187
Im sorry if this sounds bad but im going to blunt as possible.. You let you car when up when its cold, so why dont you wait untill the cabin is warm for the cd player.. you said yourself after 10 mins or it works fine cause it warm.. If you look at most eletronic gadgets , most of them dont work 100% when its 32 or below... Just be patient and let it warm up .. ITs not a big deaL.

you be surprise how many other cd players do the same thing...

i hope this helps
much of the time when you leave all the cd's in the changer you get this when cold because you may have condensation as the warmer air hits the unit, messing with the reads and the discs - but we're talking a lot of wattage here - it should warm up well before the car does - unless we're talking 10 degrees or something, it is probably on its way out...my left channel worked after it warmed up, but then not at all in any conditions.

these bose units have a history of early death of one sort or another - search this forum if you doubt this to be true
Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
SteveZ

after its out of warranty then get your own HU if it fails again, just my 2c
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 AM
whitehorse2000

Thanks all. Here I thought Bose = good. I guess I was mistaken.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:36 PM
SteveZ

Smile

Thanks all. Here I thought Bose = good. I guess I was mistaken.
Better than "really-awful-OEM" is more like it. More and more you get stuck with the system whether you like it or not, because it ends up bundled in a package. The new G35 Sedan system sounds very, very good - better than my 2004 G Coupe, anyway.

Some of bose is very good - but almost all of it is overpriced. This is one of the better sounding oem systems in the G Coupe with six 6x9's, two tweeters and a sub - just not that reliable. It also lacks adjustment capabilitiy for controls, like little to no midrange control, no preset equalizer storage, etc. My $500 Alpine Deck in another car packs just as much punch and is infinitely more adjustable. All-in-1 HU's are usually not the ticket anyway - you want your amp(s) and other components away from the confines of the HU. Can't recall if BOSE stuck an amp in my trunk or not - there is an XM tuner box but also I think an external amp (not sure on that one)

Bose would counter that the HU in our cars was already "designed by a team of engineers in a loving and nuturing environment" so it does not need that kind of adjustability like an "aftermarket" unit which may be put into "any car". Sure...I won't be trying to find a BOSE unit if my HU croaks outside of warranty, that is for certain. Although I am guessing I could find one "un-used" cheap - anyone really serious about ICE would have plucked it out and replaced it.