Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

BOSE technicians in SoCal to replace my AMP along with a few others

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 08:16 AM
alienx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I want NO variation either. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind if Nissan just defeated the damn audio pilot thing. But they probably feel like they sold a technology to people, so they keep tuning it down to lessen its impact (just like they did with the first amp swap). They won't just remove the problem for fear of backlash from the people that paid for it.

In my mind, I am still trying to decided if I can live with the quality of sound that comes from the radio. But I can't even do that because the damn audio pilot keeps screwing the sound up as it sees fit.

Without wanting to sound too much like I'm whining about this, Nissan should just acknowledge that they can't fix the problem (they seem so far to have just adjusted the problem) and swap the components. I'm sure people would be happy to get better components and lose the audio pilot technology all together. At least, I would.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:32 AM
RAW22

Originally posted by shb4
Jeremy, when you say newer amp do you mean one of the Clarion replacement amps for the original Bose or do you mean the Bose amp they are using now. Also what is a DSP?

Stewart
Digital signal processing

Richard
Old 04-17-2003, 05:20 PM
JeremyL

Well, after day #2 with the new amp, heres my take and some other answers to your questions:

1... The amp that was replaced was the second generation amps - Bose labelled - this new tweak is a replacement for the currently shipping amp software...
2... The AudioPilot is far less crazy now, and in fact its at a point I'm fine with it and wont bother with the resistor again. I am a little shocked about it, but the variations arent bad.
3... Yes, Bose isnt the best, but I didnt get the touring for the bose, I got it for the leather seats, nav and automatic-ness (no bitching, please - I drive LA freeways at least 100 miles per day average). If indeed you DID get it for the Bose alone, youll be bummed, but then Id have suggested you go aftermarket from the word go and save your cash.

For me, the bottom line is that the sound quality is now where I expected it to be in the first place, especially considering how noisy the car is. I have it set on -1 treble and -1 bass and it works for me... we'll see how the amp settles in.

J
Old 04-17-2003, 05:21 PM
JeremyL

Err - read point 2 as "Shell Shocked" - then I heard the variation again my heard jumped...t hen I calmed down and realized I was a little on edge.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:20 PM
RAW22

At the auto show in Dallas, for a little comparison, I sat in a Z4 (BMW). It has one of the best stock stereos I have ever heard.

I almost think it is not fair.

Must not have been Bose...

Richard
Old 04-19-2003, 10:54 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Interesting. I keep contemplating starting upgrades (which I've rarely done on my vehicles), but keep getting teased along...

My biggest problem with the Bose is mainly with the tweeters, I think. The imaging is crap, and creates listening fatigue very quickly for me on music (which causes me to listen to more talk radio). It nearly sounds like the tweeters are out of phase or something.

Did any of you notice this before your upgrade, and if so, is it better?

Grr. I just got a card in the mail that my local medium/high end stereo store is having a semi-annual 10% over cost sale. I'm tempted to pick up some Boston components for the front to see if they'll run OK with the Bose (a few people here I believe have upgraded front speakers only).

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the update guys.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:26 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More fuel for the fire.....

After NNA replaced the front tires due to feathering, the auto pilot appeared to calm down. Yes, the cabin noise level dropped due to new tires.

I have been thinking of relocating the auto pilot mic from steering column to another location. Steering column gets lots of the road noise from the front tires/suspension components. This may be transmitted to auto pilot mic via pastic and metal.

What is good for spirted driving may be too much for listening pleasure.... solid stiff front suspension and steering linkage.

Since you have a link to factory, may be they can play with relocating the mic.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:39 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Interesting.
My biggest problem with the Bose is mainly with the tweeters, I think. The imaging is crap, and creates listening fatigue very quickly for me on music It nearly sounds like the tweeters are out of phase or something.

Did any of you notice this before your upgrade, and if so, is it better?
Well I think that is the ONLY problem with the new amp. well ok the biggest. here is my extended use thoughts (rated from smallest problem to largest)

3) needs to go louder, overall.
2) should have more base and
1) the tweeters are still shait! (lacking crispness)

other than that I am now satisfied!

Old 05-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Autobahn

Default I also was on of 10 in So Cal that got the fix

Been meaning to post a while ago but I've been busy.

Background: Had my Touring 350Z since Aug. That was the first batch that had the awful Bose systems. I've been complaining to Bose and Nissan ever since. I was one of the first that got the modifed amp in early December (I think) and that was an improvement. I also got the even newer "protoype" amp which in effect was a software upgrade or tweak on April 15th during the week Bose was in so Cal doing the other 10. Around December I also replaced the rear speakers with Eclipse point source. This is the 4th vehicle I've had with Bose and by far the worst.

Status: After the 2nd amp switch I can report that the unit sounds "pretty good". I would interpret that to mean if I just bought my Z and the stereo sounded like it does now I would be very pleased. It's about what I originally expected. It's still not quite as good as by wife's Audi A4 Bose but close. I think the shortcoming is in the Clarion head unit to be honest. When this amp is made widely available I think most owners will be pleased. My sound may be slightly different though because of the better rear speakers.

Changes: Software upgrade. Moved some of the sound towards the rear. Greatly improved (diminished) the sound "difference" I noticed when I switched between CD and FM. Added a little more base. Cleared up the FM so it sounds closer to CD quality. I no longer have to constantly screw with the base and treble. Audio pilot seems to be fine (it was de-emphasized). The Bose guys that came were great and really seemed embarrassed that they originally delivered such a shitty product.

Overall I'd give it about a 9 out of 10 for a stock radio. Originally it was about a 2 out of 10 in August.

autobahn
Old 05-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Grey Matter

I also got my Touring 350Z in August and had the amp changed out in December (better, but not great). Who do I contact to get this new version, Nissan or Bose?
Thank you.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Autobahn

I have no idea. When I got my amp in december I remember that the service guy said that Nissan may continue to modify the part without changing the part number. Sure enough Bose kept working on a fix and I was in the test batch last month. I'd guess it would take a couple of months for the software change to make it into the new replacement units. Again I've been complaining since August and even after the December amp I kept complaining to both Nissan HQ and Bose.

You'd have to follow-up with your favorite Nissan service center and see if they release an updated Technical Service Bulletin.

I'm sure when the fix is made generally available you'll find out first here. This group in general is much more knowledgeable than your typical Nissan dealership.

autobahn
Old 05-17-2003, 09:18 AM
vancitydude

Autobahn... is the bass from the 3rd generation amp comparable to the bass in the original amp? I've got the second generation, and the bass is pitiful... embarrasing... a fraud. Admittedly, the first amp wasn't going to break any windows, but it *could* rattle the car. Please tell me the BASS IS BACK!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Autobahn

It's a little better than my December amp. Tha twas one of my complaints to Bose was that in December I lost base from my original amp yet although it sounded much better because of the other improvements. The April amp puts a little base back in although I would have liked more. The treble can be a tad "shrill" at times. My average tone settings now at treble at "0" and base at "5". Keep in mind that due to the pitiful Clarion head unit when you crank it up the base and treble settings have absolutely no effect. According to the Bose guys that was the way it was designed.

Still as I said in my original post if you are an average buyer expected a Bose quality audio system you won't be disappointed.
Overall I'm now quite satisfied with my Z. That is now that I have my Stillen grill kit that fixes the gaping black hole in the front bumper! (That was my one pet peeve w/ the 350Z design and now I think it looks great)