Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

I need a 10" Subwoofer Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The W7 IMHO is a horrible subwoofer. If your into "beating down the block" then its great, if your into actually listening to music than it sucks. I don't like JL subs all that much but I would purchase a W6 over a W7 all day everyday.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

completely agree with Kwame and azula on this one - while there are certainly other considerations (amp, x over points, box design and placement), the JL's tend to leave me very ho hum. Yes, they can play loudly, and yes they can hit very hard, but they are not smooth at all in my experience - very boomy, very in your face, and not what I'd consider "musical". Not to mention, they are far too common, which is the opposite of what I wanted for this car. I have an old school JL 10w6 sub in my Datsun, with a 500/5 powering just it and a set MB Quart XT3 components up front and MB coax's in the rear, and while its loud as hell, it's far from musical. But my goal in that car was simple - it needed to be louder than the engine/exhaust (the car is insanely loud!). In the 350, I wanted a balanced, musical system. Alot of people confuse loud with good, and this is far from the case. While the 2 can certainly coexist, they do not always need to.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:36 AM
Fairly Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, well that I'd have to agree with. The W6 and W7 series usually provide an overwhelming experience, and certainly like to outweigh the highs. But, to each his own. If you're looking for that 'beating down your block' feel, like Kwame said, then that's the way to go. If not, there are subs out there that do more to accompany the highs than completely obliterate them. That's why I use W3 subs.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
JL 10w7's are the best IMO and I have had a lot of subs over the past 20 years. Been into good sound and separation in cars for a long time. If you have good mids the w7's will rock for you long time.
w7 is garbage.. of course its the best if you are listening to sh!tty circut citty subs like Sony Xpload

you should listen to some quality subs.. and listen so neat and accurate bass that is also loud.. then you will understand what a good sub is suppose to sound like.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by doug
w7 is garbage.. of course its the best if you are listening to sh!tty circut citty subs like Sony Xpload

you should listen to some quality subs.. and listen so neat and accurate bass that is also loud.. then you will understand what a good sub is suppose to sound like.
Couldn't have said it better myself Doug. Stay away from big-box stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears etc.) I picked up a Seas Lotus based upon a suggestion from Kwame.

I love the sub and will not be changing it out - Tight accurate bass response and does not distort at high volumes. It feel that the sound reproduction is great considering it's only getting about 300 watts power RMS... maybe I'll upgrade my amp one day, but it's doing fine if you ask me...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep, I researched a LONG time before going for the Seas in my car, and I am absolutely in love with it. I can honestly say it helps my system make music sound the way it should....balanced. But, it hits hard enough for rap, jazz, the bass lines in a Chili Pepper song. Just a fantastic unit
Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
yep, I researched a LONG time before going for the Seas in my car, and I am absolutely in love with it. I can honestly say it helps my system make music sound the way it should....balanced. But, it hits hard enough for rap, jazz, the bass lines in a Chili Pepper song. Just a fantastic unit
+1 Werrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddddd UP!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Jokestrap

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
It depends on what amp you're using. I get a lot of customers that spend all the money they have on the sub, and then chump change on an amp. Then, they complain that they're disappointed. If you're running a JL 1000/1 using 4 Gauge or larger wiring, that's where you get the best experience. And, if you are and you're still not satisfied, then there's something wrong with the sub. The W7 is excellent.

Ah, there you go. That was going to be my response.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 AM
QdotJ

There is obviously a "split" here; The "SQ Sub" Crowd that Z1, Kwame, Doug and myself belong to and the "Hard Hitting Sub" Crowd that seems to be more popular.

I say get what you like, many times we have something in mind and look for others to "co-sign" our thoughts and so forth...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
JL 10w7's are the best IMO and I have had a lot of subs over the past 20 years. Been into good sound and separation in cars for a long time. If you have good mids the w7's will rock for you long time.
JL stands for "Just Loud."

On a serious note, if your ever in the Long Island area let me know, and bring your favorite CD. I guarantee I can change your mind about the W7. My setup is the definition of insane quality sound and outstanding separation.