Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help with my GPS/Radio choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 PM
push

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my GPS/Radio choice

Ok, I don't want to spend any more than $1000 tops, but realistically I'd like to be around 800ish. Right now I'm looking at the following:

Pioneer AVIC D3. I liked this but I heard that the screen gets washed out with the sun easily. I also don't like the idea of switching the GPS disc out, solid state memory (HD or CF) would be much nicer.

Kenwood DDX6019 with Kenwood (garmin) gps unit, not as new, but I haven't heard about the washout problem. Plus I don't have to worry about changing the gps disc out, I can just put in a compact flash to upgrade the POIs. Disadvantage no VSS, so the GPS gets confused when it doesn't have a signal, which I can look past since that wont happen often.

Ideally I would like to be able to have the nav go in the cubby but the more I look the more often I see people just go with double DIN systems. Right now I'm leaning the kenwood route because I love the easy POI upgrades and no DVDs to keep track of, plus it's just one less mechanical thing to break.

I'll admit when it comes to audio/gps I'm a bit of a noob and I did some searching and it seems like a lot of people like the d3, but it seems like if you like nav the kenwood route seems to make more sense. Is it possible to add another touchscreen later in the cuby to do the gps on and treat the DDX6019 as the radio? I know on the 8xxx series it was possible as I saw someone do it, just wondering if the 6019 could, and I couldn't really find the answer. ANY input is appreciated, I'm not limiting myself to these two, just wanted some opinions or other possible routes to take.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
04carbonblack35

My 2 cents , I went with the pioneer avh-p6800dvd . It has a six disk dvd\cd changer built in . And if you want gps you can get an add on module for it . I think the gps also uses the vss . I dont think the 6800 has to bad of a wash out problem . but thats just what i think
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
push

Originally Posted by 04carbonblack35
My 2 cents , I went with the pioneer avh-p6800dvd . It has a six disk dvd\cd changer built in . And if you want gps you can get an add on module for it . I think the gps also uses the vss . I dont think the 6800 has to bad of a wash out problem . but thats just what i think
That's more than I want to spend. It would be around $1400 for that HU and the GPS add on.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 PM
04carbonblack35

no not really I got mine off ebay with the gps for 1050.00
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Looking at your profile showing your "Join Date," I'm guessing your Z is less than a 2005 model. If that is correct, you have an inexpensive path to a great navigation solution. Of course, everyone has their own preference, so my solution may not fit what you want. But, here is what I did:

1) 7" Power Acoustik screen (same as the Farenheit) in the upper/forward cubby space. Cost: $89 - $150 (depending upon where you buy this LCD monitor).

2) Garmin GVN 52 Black Box Navigation unit mounted in the small cubby behind the driver's seat. Cost: $500 (again, depending upon where you buy this).

So... my investment was approximately $600+ for what I believe is the best navigaion product money can buy. You get the same thing with Kenwood, and you add touchscreen support with the Kenwood solution for just a little more money (about $200 more for the touch screen).

I swapped out the Z's stock H/U for a Clarion single-din radio CD/player, adding another $300.

So... that keeps within your $1K limit for a terrific system.

Additional note: I did go past your pricing specifications by adding Sirius radio, an Eclipse amp, Focal components in the front and Infinity coaxials in the rear.

--Spike
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 AM
push

Originally Posted by Spike100
Looking at your profile showing your "Join Date," I'm guessing your Z is less than a 2005 model. If that is correct, you have an inexpensive path to a great navigation solution. Of course, everyone has their own preference, so my solution may not fit what you want. But, here is what I did:

1) 7" Power Acoustik screen (same as the Farenheit) in the upper/forward cubby space. Cost: $89 - $150 (depending upon where you buy this LCD monitor).

2) Garmin GVN 52 Black Box Navigation unit mounted in the small cubby behind the driver's seat. Cost: $500 (again, depending upon where you buy this).

So... my investment was approximately $600+ for what I believe is the best navigaion product money can buy. You get the same thing with Kenwood, and you add touchscreen support with the Kenwood solution for just a little more money (about $200 more for the touch screen).

I swapped out the Z's stock H/U for a Clarion single-din radio CD/player, adding another $300.

So... that keeps within your $1K limit for a terrific system.

Additional note: I did go past your pricing specifications by adding Sirius radio, an Eclipse amp, Focal components in the front and Infinity coaxials in the rear.

--Spike
I was thinking of doing the kenwood monitor and gps unit and putting it in the cubby, but I read that you need to modify the finisher to have the buttons available. If I go that route then maybe down the road I'll get a double din head unit and have the best of both worlds. I like the 6109 because it also gives me an ipod solution. I just don't think it's the ideal setup if I want to use GPS though since it is lower than the cubby, so you have a more extreme viewing angle.

And I have an 03 model
Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by push
I was thinking of doing the kenwood monitor and gps unit and putting it in the cubby, but I read that you need to modify the finisher to have the buttons available. If I go that route then maybe down the road I'll get a double din head unit and have the best of both worlds. I like the 6109 because it also gives me an ipod solution. I just don't think it's the ideal setup if I want to use GPS though since it is lower than the cubby, so you have a more extreme viewing angle.

And I have an 03 model
re> : "I like the 6109 because it also gives me an ipod solution. I just don't think it's the ideal setup if I want to use GPS though since it is lower than the cubby, so you have a more extreme viewing angle."

I couldn't agree more... the upper/forward cubby is where you want your navigation screen. That position allows optimum viewing (and you look at the navigation screen a lot when using this device). I've tried both positions when using a navigation screen in the Z (the upper/forward cubby vs. the lower double-din). The lower double-din is too low while navigating.

re>: "I was thinking of doing the kenwood monitor and gps unit and putting it in the cubby, but I read that you need to modify the finisher to have the buttons available."

You don't need to do or worry about this. All you need is a short handled phillips screwdriver to remove the finisher and gain access to the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor buttons. This is a one time thing you do when you initially install the monitor. After that, and when and if you ever need to make a significant change to the LZ-702W Monitor's settings, you simply unscrew the finisher, make the changes, and put the finisher back into place. You really hardly ever need to access the buttons, but if you ever do need to do this, it's a simple five minute job. I have a Power Acoustik 7" monitor installed in the upper/forward cubby. This monitor has an IF controller making adjustments very easy, but I did an initial configuration and have never touched it after that.

Here is a simple an inexpensive way to install terrific navigation with touch screen-support in a Z. (NOTE: This scenario requires an upper/forward cubby that is compatible with Z models that can swap 03 "style" cubbies). I pulled some of this info from another Forum member's "THE DUKE" posting.

1) Remove the center console, drop the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor into place, and run the harness from the monitor back to either the large subW space behind the driver's seat or the glove box behind the passenger seat. You will mount the monitor's control box in either of these spaces depending upon what other devices (amps, subs, etc.) and where you want them.

2) Install the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box in either the small upper cubby behind the driver's seat or the passenger seat, and connect the device's harness to the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor's control box. The Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box's SD slot should be accessible (facing the front of the cubby space).

3) Install and connect the GPS antenna to the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box. A good place for the GPS antenna is on the rear strut bar, and you can hide the antenna below the plastic overlay piece on the rear strut bar.

4) There are four other wires from the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box requiring connections:

The red wire connects to a fused and switched ACC power source.
The yellow wire connects to a fused constant power source
The black wire is the ground
The green wire connects to parking brake detection switch (or you can simply ground the green wire)

5) Install an illuminated switch (the panel used for the seat heater switches is a good place) fused, connected to the ACC lead, and controls power to both the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box and the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor. Since you do not have easy access to the Kenwood monitor's buttons, you set it as always on, and the switch you install is how you turn the monitor (and the Navigation box) on or off.

You follow the same steps to install a Garmin GVN 52 Black Box Navigation Unit and a 7" Farenheit screen.

The only difference is this setup does not support touch screen function, but the installation is easier since there is no monitor control box and fewer wires to connect. The "system" cost is less as well.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 04-24-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
evolved326

Id say get the new Kenwwod with integrated Garmin NAV. You cannot go wrong with Garmin, their maps are superior.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 AM
push

re> : "I like the 6109 because it also gives me an ipod solution. I just don't think it's the ideal setup if I want to use GPS though since it is lower than the cubby, so you have a more extreme viewing angle."

I couldn't agree more... the upper/forward cubby is where you want your navigation screen. That position allows optimum viewing (and you look at the navigation screen a lot when using this device). I've tried both positions when using a navigation screen in the Z (the upper/forward cubby vs. the lower double-din). The lower double-din is too low while navigating.

re>: "I was thinking of doing the kenwood monitor and gps unit and putting it in the cubby, but I read that you need to modify the finisher to have the buttons available."

You don't need to do or worry about this. All you need is a short handled phillips screwdriver to remove the finisher and gain access to the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor buttons. This is a one time thing you do when you initially install the monitor. After that, and when and if you ever need to make a significant change to the LZ-702W Monitor's settings, you simply unscrew the finisher, make the changes, and put the finisher back into place. You really hardly ever need to access the buttons, but if you ever do need to do this, it's a simple five minute job. I have a Power Acoustik 7" monitor installed in the upper/forward cubby. This monitor has an IF controller making adjustments very easy, but I did an initial configuration and have never touched it after that.

Here is a simple an inexpensive way to install terrific navigation with touch screen-support in a Z. (NOTE: This scenario requires an upper/forward cubby that is compatible with Z models that can swap 03 "style" cubbies). I pulled some of this info from another Forum member's "THE DUKE" posting.

1) Remove the center console, drop the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor into place, and run the harness from the monitor back to either the large subW space behind the driver's seat or the glove box behind the passenger seat. You will mount the monitor's control box in either of these spaces depending upon what other devices (amps, subs, etc.) and where you want them.

2) Install the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box in either the small upper cubby behind the driver's seat or the passenger seat, and connect the device's harness to the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor's control box. The Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box's SD slot should be accessible (facing the front of the cubby space).

3) Install and connect the GPS antenna to the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box. A good place for the GPS antenna is on the rear strut bar, and you can hide the antenna below the plastic overlay piece on the rear strut bar.

4) There are four other wires from the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box requiring connections:

The red wire connects to a fused and switched ACC power source.
The yellow wire connects to a fused constant power source
The black wire is the ground
The green wire connects to parking brake detection switch (or you can simply ground the green wire)

5) Install an illuminated switch (the panel used for the seat heater switches is a good place) fused, connected to the ACC lead, and controls power to both the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box and the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor. Since you do not have easy access to the Kenwood monitor's buttons, you set it as always on, and the switch you install is how you turn the monitor (and the Navigation box) on or off.

You follow the same steps to install a Garmin GVN 52 Black Box Navigation Unit and a 7" Farenheit screen.

The only difference is this setup does not support touch screen function, but the installation is easier since there is no monitor control box and fewer wires to connect. The "system" cost is less as well.

--Spike
Thanks spike, I wasn't sure how much you have to use the buttons on the screen, and I don't feel confident enough I could alter the finisher enough to make it look OEMish which is what I'm going for. I think this may be the route I'm going to take. I already have an 03, so I would just need the finisher correct?

Last edited by push; 04-25-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Spike100

Thanks spike, I wasn't sure how much you have to use the buttons on the screen, and I don't feel confident enough I could alter the finisher enough to make it look OEMish which is what I'm going for. I think this may be the route I'm going to take. I already have an 03, so I would just need the finisher correct?
If you have an '03, you can use the finisher you already have. You do not need to buy a different finisher since the one you have works perfectly for this installation.

I couple of months a ago I posted two or three messages describing concerns installing the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor in the upper/forward cubby space because the LZ-702W Monitor has its control buttons on its lower border, and these buttons are not accessible if the monitor is installed in the upper/forward cubby space (they are covered-over by the finisher). A Forum member ("THE DUKE"), did this install (Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor with a Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box), overcoming the problems I previously described. As Mando points out, you install the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor and do the appropriate settings for the monitor. If and when you need to change these (if ever), you simply unscrew the two screws securing the finisher to gain access to the LZ-702W control buttons, make whatever change you want, and refasten the finisher. It's a five minute job that you probably will never need to do after the initial installation.

Here is a list of the equipment you need to buy for touch screen navigation installed in the upper/forward cubby of your '03 Z.

Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box
Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor
An illuminated rocker ON/OFF switch to control power to the above devices

If you are an experienced 12V installer, the job takes 2-3 hours to do it right. If you are inexperienced, I would set aside 8 hours, or even make this a weekend project (LOL).

--Spike

Here is a list of the equipment you need to buy for non-touch screen navigation installed in the upper/forward cubby of your '03 Z:

Garmin GVN 52 Navigation Box
Monitors: Farenheit T-7000MHR or Power Acoustik PT-700MHR or NESA Vision NSM-7005

...less cost and no finger prints on the LCD screen.

Last edited by Spike100; 04-25-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM
push

If you have an '03, you can use the finisher you already have. You do not need to buy a different finisher since the one you have works perfectly for this installation.

I couple of months a ago I posted two or three messages describing concerns installing the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor in the upper/forward cubby space because the LZ-702W Monitor has its control buttons on its lower border, and these buttons are not accessible if the monitor is installed in the upper/forward cubby space (they are covered-over by the finisher). A Forum member ("THE DUKE"), did this install (Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor with a Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box), overcoming the problems I previously described. As Mando points out, you install the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor and do the appropriate settings for the monitor. If and when you need to change these (if ever), you simply unscrew the two screws securing the finisher to gain access to the LZ-702W control buttons, make whatever change you want, and refasten the finisher. It's a five minute job that you probably will never need to do after the initial installation.

Here is a list of the equipment you need to buy for touch screen navigation installed in the upper/forward cubby of your '03 Z.

Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box
Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor

If you are an experienced 12V installer, the job takes 2-3 hours to do it right. If you are inexperienced, I would set aside 8 hours, or even make this a weekend project (LOL).

--Spike
I've wired a VAFC up to my old prelude haha. We'll see, how hard is it to get the cubby out/run the wires from front/back?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Spike100

I've wired a VAFC up to my old prelude haha. We'll see, how hard is it to get the cubby out/run the wires from front/back?
My experience with removing the Z's panels (center console, center/transmission tunnel, door panels, and rear panels) has always proved to be difficult. I feel as though I'm pulling/prying too hard and afraid of breaking something. Tasks I allocate a couple of hours seem to take two or three times as long to accomplish. That is simply my inexperience (but, I am getting much better at doing "surgery" on the Z).

LOL... at myself for under-estimating the "degree of difficulty." The worst case scenario is when you get it all fitted/installed, and it doesn't work correctly. I hate that when it happens.

--Spike
Old 04-25-2007, 05:53 PM
push

My experience with removing the Z's panels (center console, center/transmission tunnel, door panels, and rear panels) has always proved to be difficult. I feel as though I'm pulling/prying too hard and afraid of breaking something. Tasks I allocate a couple of hours seem to take two or three times as long to accomplish. That is simply my inexperience (but, I am getting much better at doing "surgery" on the Z).

LOL... at myself for under-estimating the "degree of difficulty." The worst case scenario is when you get it all fitted/installed, and it doesn't work correctly. I hate that when it happens.

--Spike
I was just going to ask, do you run the wires down the back through the tranny tunnel to the back glovebox? Not quite sure how the wiring works, or how long the wires are.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Spike100

I was just going to ask, do you run the wires down the back through the tranny tunnel to the back glovebox? Not quite sure how the wiring works, or how long the wires are.
Yes. And, I usually leave about twice the length it requires. When working with a harness supplied with a device, I never cut the wires to match optimum length. Instead, I neatly wind the excess, and "wrap" this. You never know when you will need more length.
--Spike
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
push

1. ** LIMITED QUANTITY SPECIAL! ** Kenwood KNA-G510: 1 @ $379.99
2. Kenwood LZ-702W: 1 @ $349.99

Should be in mid next week after my car gets out of the body shop. Any of you use XM traffic, and is it worth the investment?

Last edited by push; 04-26-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
push

For those of you that installed, can you tell me what you used for the switched source? I know I can just tap the power and acc for those, but can I tap the same acc for the fused/switched power or no? It came in the mail today and I'm going to do the install when I get home. Where did you make the taps for the acc/power/switched power? I tried searching but I just got posts about greddy tt installs, haha. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
push

bump, wasn't there a DIY thread on this install? I have all the wires and everything run, just need to figure out how to do the wiring. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time.