Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeters Mounted Here (PICS)? To "Bright" Or Direct???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 12:34 PM
KJ-350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeters Mounted Here (PICS)? To "Bright" Or Direct???

I'm getting alittle agervated with the tweeters that are in my Diamond Audio HEX component kit b/c of the size! They flush mounting ring for them is actually larger than the surface area where the OEM tweets are so cant do that or they will extend over the edges and like crap!

I don't want to mount them behind the OEM panel b/c that opening is less than half the size of the tweeter and I would be losing so much sound by having behind there with that little opening! More or less blocking them from paying as they should b/c most of the sound would be staying behind the panel!!

So I was thinking about putting them where the vents are using the flush mount cups. I think the look of them there is pretty nice and they wont jump out or look lost like they would if I were to use the surface mounts for them on the dash, pillar corner etc.

But I'm wondering if they position of them might be to much for the interior? They are the Silk dome HEX's so they are no where near as "bright" as the aluminum series ones are. But what do you guys think about the position and direct angling of them in there? Do you think they would be fine considering the OEM spot is less than 5 inches away and those play ok. Or do you think I might end up with a very direct and "in your face" stage if I put them there? Here are some pics...

Here you can see the size of the hole needed for the HEX tweeters to be flush mounted.

And here is the tweeter in the flush mounting ring.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

it sure looks good but it's too "direct". just mound it behind the factory tweeter panel, you should be fine.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Mr B

Talk about right in your face.
If you're gonna mount it there, make sure you put in a cap to lower the ohms so it's not so loud. That thing's gonna fatigue your ears super quick if you don't.
I'm also guessing it doesn't get too hot where you're at? I need ALL my air vents come summertime.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:33 PM
srobert910

I don't think that's a great idea for imaging. The drivers one will be too close to you and the passenger one will still be a good distance away. Usually the goal it to get the about the same pathlength away. Also the angle of the mount would be very directional. Why would you consider giving up your air vents anyways? I guess we need them more here in FL.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:02 PM
SmokinZ

bad idea. period.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:11 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try what I did (i did the same thing on the other side)
custom install

Old 04-23-2003, 07:30 PM
KJ-350

Originally posted by TJZ
Try what I did (i did the same thing on the other side)
custom install

your saying those tweets mounted right there are actaully from your front component kit????
Old 04-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Encore

Originally posted by srobert910
I don't think that's a great idea for imaging. The drivers one will be too close to you and the passenger one will still be a good distance away. Usually the goal it to get the about the same pathlength away. Also the angle of the mount would be very directional. Why would you consider giving up your air vents anyways? I guess we need them more here in FL.
I couldnt agree more. Can you take pics of what they look like in the factory spots. I might be able to give you some better suggestions.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:27 PM
KJ-350

I couldnt agree more. Can you take pics of what they look like in the factory spots. I might be able to give you some better suggestions.
they are bigger than the surface area of the OEM spots. and when I say "bigger"...the actual size of the hole needed for the mounting cups (this foam/seal ring here)

is wider and taller than the space I have to work with if using the OEM spot
Old 04-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Encore

You could cut the tweeter cup into the factory spots until you get the desired depth/angle desired. Then super glue them in place. Then build up to them w/ bondo. Then hit them up w/ sandpaper. Then primer and paint, and your ready to go.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:56 PM
magneticZ

IF... you are truly interested in imaging, you need to mount the tweeter as close to the mid as possible. Preferably in the kick panels in a custom mount, this way you are making the distance between you left ear/left speaker and the right ear/right speakers
as equidistant as possible, with a little time delay or gain
adjustment, you would be able to make it almost perfect.

IF... you are not, I would agree with mounting them "Behind" the factory tweeter mount, using the factory grille. Use some abs, or backstrap bracket type metal to mount the tweet and mount the bracket to door panel, hopefully you can adust the angle so it
plays well. This would be you best choice for factory look vs. performance and effort.

The spot you are suggesting now will only make the imaging worse, and you will definately need some seperate gain adjustment (RE: Electonic crossover & seperate channel) and probably need a time delay device. If you not concerned with imaging, but just want it loud.... uh - that would be the spot.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:48 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

When getting my Z imaging setup I played a ton with the position of my main driver tweeter. I had originally installed the tweeters in the stock location but even that was too in-your-face brite with even 8db of attenuation. I quickly opted for some Boston Pro 5T neo tweeters setup as ambient (8000 and above frequencies only). These I placed in the stock location. With those in place I quickly went to work on the main tweeter locations. Trying every concievable place on the doors (including angling them and inside of the vents) and on the dashboard. I finally settled in with them mounted in the kickplates, facing straight backwards and slightly upwards (maybe 10degrees from horizontal). This gave me a very wide soundstage with the ambient tweeters pulling the stage upwards while still keeping it in front of me. The woofers are mounted in about stock location (moved upwards and forwards compared to the stock speaker). These were moved ever so slightly to keep the woofers from hitting the door panels at full excursion. The final thing I did was to drill out every hole on the stock woofer covers. IMO, this gave me some of the greatest gains (the woofer work) and kept the stock door panel vibrations down to a minimum (along with 2 sheets of dynamat extreme per door).
Old 04-24-2003, 06:16 AM
MSGarrett1

I have these exact same components, and I got my Z back from my installer yesterday, so I haven't taken pictures yet, done the mandatory "tweaking of the system", etc. But let me tell you what I did, what system I am using etc, and give you my initial impressions. I have an Alpine DVA-7996 head unit (DVD/CD/MP3), a JL 500/5 amp, Diamond S600s up front, Diamond 6.5" coaxials in the back, and 2 JL 8W3V2's in the Nazar subwoofer enclosure.

My silk tweeters are in the stock tweeter location. My installer removed the flush mounting trim, leaving only the tweeter, which is still larger than the factory tweeter. Then he cut the factory tweeter circle a little larger, and flush mounted the tweeter. I'll post some pics soon, so you can see. I put the 6" midbass in the stock door location. There was no spacer needed, b/c of the mounting ring that comes with the midbass--it acts kinda like a spacer. Plus the diamonds have a shallower than average depth.

My initial impressions . . . the tweeters are plenty bright--even though they're silk. I'm going to cut the tweeters back by -2dB, which is an option at your crossover. The midbass is not what I wanted . . . my I'm very picky. My plan is to take it back to the shop, and have them fabricate a custom speaker pod build out at the factory door grill location to bring the midbass speakers out from behind the door panel. You'll see what I mean if you install your midbass in the stock door location. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with a custom kickpanel install with the tweeter and the midbass in the kickpanels.

Shane
Old 04-24-2003, 12:36 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by KJ-350
your saying those tweets mounted right there are actaully from your front component kit????
Nope, they are aftermarket, PHD to be precise. I got two cases with 2 6.5" and 2 tweeters (4 speakers total). My car shop managed to make them fit in the stock location and installed 2 in the rear (teh 6.5" ones went in the door and behind the seats).