Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Finally breaking down and buying a system....HELP NEEDED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 AM
JFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally breaking down and buying a system....HELP NEEDED!!!!

Alright guys here is the deal,
I am looking to install a fairly nice audio system into my Z, nothing crazy but still nice. I'm no audio expert and I have done plenty of searching and come across some good stuff but I need some honest opinions on the exact products to buy. I know that I want one of the new Double Din DVD/Navigation units, a set of component speakers and some subs. I might get a little daring and install a fahrenheit screen in the cubby since they are only $140 or so. What I DON'T know is what Brands to purchase. I want something that is going to fulfill all of these criteria but not completely drain my pocket and since I am a newb on the audio scene I figured that you audio techs could help me out. Here are a few questions that I have:
1) I LOVE bass but I don't need anything that will knock my mirrors off...Should I install one 10" sub or two? I listen to ALL types of music if that matters. I like good CLEAN sound!
2) I know that I will be purchasing a box from ZEnclosures because they are so affordable and clean, but which one is best. The stealth box behind the strut or the box under the strut? They are both about the same price so I just want whats best.
3) I read that most of you only install one set of components so this is what I will do. What is a good/affordable component system? I am looking to install them in the new ZEnclosure speaker pods with the tweeter and speaker mounted next to each other.
4) What should I do about the rear speakers?
5)I don't want to spend more than around 900-1,000 on the head unit. I just want the best unit for the money. IPod Interface is very important. Nav. functionality is crucial too bc I know how screwy some of the cheaper units can be sometimes. I really like the looks of the new pioneer AVIC-D3!
6) Last but not least....AMP...Affordable is the name of the game here...I need something that will power all of these goodies and thats it!

Once again...I have done plenty of searching but I figured asking all of my questions at once would get the best results.
Thanks in advance for all of your help!

JFrank
Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 AM
SSP-350z

I would suggest that you put a price range for each of your things up there. I see that you would like to spend 900-1000 on a head unit but thats the only range you have given us. If you give us a range for the other things that would make it easier to suggest things for you since there is a vast array of equipment out there.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 AM
JFrank

Sorry guys....prices might be helpful
Components- around $200
Subs- depends on whether I get one or two...something affordable but still good quality- around anywhere from $150-300
Box is around $115 on ebay
Amp???? Something that will push all of this and not drain my pocket
I know earlier I said I would like to have NAV but I don't NEED it so keep that in mind.
Overall I would like to do everything for around $1800-2000.

Last edited by JFrank; 06-04-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:53 AM
StreetOC192

Are you willing to go the ebay/unauthorized dealer route, or do you want your factory warranties intact? This could mean hundreds of dollars in the bottom line cost, and would help us help you better.

Headunits:
Other members here can help you out better than I can. I haven't looked at the double DIN market in a few years now and might be out of the loop.

Components:
I'm sure you've read around here and/or other places that components are a VERY personal choice. I could tell you that I really like the Diamond Audio HEX series components and someone else will say that they suck. I suggest you listen to as many sets as you can in a car environment to get an idea of how bright/dull/boomy/clean/tight you like your components to sound. The Zenclosures pods are great. I have them and love them.
Some brands that are worth looking at (just a partial list here):
Diamond Audio
JL Audio
CDT
Elemental Designs (I think these are made by CDT?)
Focal

Subs:
I would say one 10" should be fine. Especially if you say you don't want to rattle your mirrors off. I have one 10" Diamond D6 sub with 480 watts and it is PLENTY for my tastes. I have an XtremeKustoms box (off ebay), but Zenclosures is a great box. Plus he's a sponser here, so you would be helping out a sponser.
Brands to look for here (again, just a partial list):
JL Audio
Image Dynamics
RE
TC Sounds
Diamond Audio

Amplifiers:
This is where you can save some money, or spend a ton of money. It all depends how discriminating your ears are when it comes to sound. You can go budget and get Phoenix Gold or HiFonics amps, which are good amps for relatively little money; or you can go with Zapco or McIntosh and drop some big coin. There are tons of options in the middle. I know the 'hotness' these days are the JL amps. They are good and solid, but I feel there are better options especially for the money you spend on them. You really need to think of where you will mount the amp(s), so we can help you decide if 1 or 2 amps will work best size-wise. You will probably want to stay around 100 watts per channel for your components and about 500-800 watts for your sub. I won't list brands here because every manufacturer has good and bad amps for the money. This is hotly debated on audio forms, but I believe a watt is a watt. What makes one amp different than another is quality and sound processing options. This is really where your budget decides what you purchase (to be read: this is the least sonically impacting part of your car stereo system and there is room for scrimping).

Also, budget in about $170 for: sound damping/wire/connectors/etc.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 06-04-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Advice, Don't skimp on the speakers. Buy the best series of MB Quart Speakers you can afford. Buy a NICE Amplifier and a decent head unit. I would stick with all of the same Brand Speakers, of the same series, and all of the same brand electronics, all of the same series.

Like all MB Quart Speakers and all Alpine Electonics, for example.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
JFrank

Thanks for all of the help so far guys....In response I AM willing to go the ebay route...I am no longer worried about my warranty when it comes to audio issues because I have removed my stock bose crap already. I simply want the best system for the least amount of money.

The more I think about it now, I guess I don't HAVE to have a double din dvd unit...I just want to be able to watch dvds...especially live concerts and such. I see that there are some good single DIN units out there with DVD playback and video output so this could possibly be an option as well.

Another problem is I don't have access to many people with component systems in their rides. The only thing I can think of is to go to Tweeter and listen to what they have there.

I know I will be installing my amp in the stock bose sub location if this helps.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
VTMustard

OK I will start off by saying that, i am far from an expert on this topic, but I am currently in the same boat, and have done a fair amount of research over the last couple months.

HEAD UNIT:

I have checked out most of the double DIN h-units out there and these were the only 2 I was impressed with,

The D3 is a beatiful head unit that will give all the luxuries that you are looking for. The average price that I have seen is $850, with the lowest price being $750 (not including special offers, coupouns, etc). For iPod connectivity, you will need the pioneer iPod cable. In addition, crucial accessory, is the bluetooth processor; the head unit has a built in micorphone, and with the bluetooth processor you have the capability to hook up a bluetooth phone to the h-unit and talk hands free through the stereo. This option may not be what you are look for, but for me trying to talk on a LG Chocolate, steer, and shift gets annoying especially in moderate traffic.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html

Accessories:
iPod ($30) - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...472031,00.html
Bluetooth ($180) - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...908320,00.html

The Alpine IVA-W205 is also a very nice unit, this unit is about the same price as the D3 (a little pricier), and comes with all the same functionality as the D3. My thing with this unit is the interface, the D3 has a cleaner more stylish interface but IVA has touch screen feedback, which may or may not be a concern for you. In addition, the IVA has USB device connectivity, 24 bit sound, and a couple of extra small features not available on the D3.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W205

Accessories:
iPod ($30) - http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...KCE-422i&tab=D
Bluetooth ($220) - http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...CE-300BT&tab=D

COMPONENTS:
As streetOC, mentioned above, these are a matter of personal preference. Do you want bright or warm sound, are you looking for good high end or mid range or are you going to good all-round sound performance...there are alot of questions to ask yourself before purchasing. I good way to find out, is find a good audio retailer (not bestbuy) like tweeter, the manuf. retail/outlet store that sells there mobile audio equipment, or a good custom shop and just listen to them...narrow the field down to a couple fo manufacturers (...btw bring your own music, make sure you listen to what you listen to on a regular basis). Then try to find people who have the remainng systems installed in their vehicles and listen to it in that environment, by that point you should probably know what you are going to buy.

Personally i like alpines; X-types have a very warm, rich sound to them and the R-types are bright but not too bright (good for trance and house while still sounding good for hip hop and rock) Boston Acoutistics is another Manuf. I recommend as well as Focals.

Another thing...and this is a matter of opinion...leaving the rear speakers stock or disconnecting them, seems to be a very popular thing to do, due to limited space and phasing issues. Plus will save you on cash

SUB:
Like components, a matter of personal preference. A couple of Manuf. I recommend are Alpine and JL. These two were the only ones that i thought didn't sound overbearing, especially in a Z. A single alpine R-type 10", or something comparable, should be enough for what you are looking for.

AMPs:
This is where my knowledge drops off , I would look around the forum or talk to some of the audio retailers or custom shops, in your area about what they would recommend.

SUB BOX:
I think you have already made your choice on that...ZENCLOSURES

With what the other members have already said, I think you should have a good base to start looking. The price you mentioned above might be a little bit short if you are looking for YOUR perfect system. I would bump your max up to about 2Gs.

Just for a reference, I just got qouted $2700 for the following system:
Pioneer AVIC-D3
2x Alpine X-type hybrid components
single 10" Alpine R-type sub
Alpine PDX-1.600 AMP
Wiring and labor
...I am going to supply the sub box.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
JFrank

I have a bluetooth headset that I wear in the car so I am not too worried about that. I am looking for the best overall performance from the speakers...like I said I listen to EVERY type of music you can imagine...Rap, Country, Rock....TECHNO....but it would be nice if all of my Dave Matthews and Phish DVD's were at peak performance!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
SSP-350z

For amps, I would suggest either Alpine or JL audio slash amps. The jls have good sound quality and you can pick them up on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a retail store. I have heard some of the alpine PDX amps and they sound nice as well as being a small amp in size. They can get a bit pricy but you are running low wattage so it should not be too terrible.

I agree with the others in that you want to go and listen to the components before you buy them. It really is a personal opinion when it comes to that. Me personally I love Seas Lotus (what I own) and Image Dynamic systems but some will argue that diamond hex's are just as good. So it all in what YOU like.

For subs I run two 10 inch JL W1's. They sound nice and are lound enough for me but again that can be argued as well. Good luck with you design and make sure and post up what you end up getting. Also don't forget wire and interconnects because as another post said you will spend 100-175 easy on that stuff.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
rylewa

I just replaced my JL components and my 10W6 with Zapco i-6.2 components and a Zapco i-10D sub (I also have the understrut box and door pods). I paid about $350 total from WoofersEtc.com. I'm running them off of a Zapco amp and they sound amazing. Not only cleaner and louder than JL, but the low end sounds better too. I agree with whoever said don't skimp on the amp. I think a good quality amp is the most important part of a sound system. JL makes good amps but 350watts from a Zapco amp will sound much better than 500watts from a JL. Whatever way you go I'd check the prices from woofersetc.com. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by rylewa
I agree with whoever said don't skimp on the amp.
I agree with this, however with the budget set by the OP, I feel the money is better spent in a nicer set of components than a top-of-the-line amp.

Originally Posted by rylewa
I think a good quality amp is the most important part of a sound system.
I know everyone has their opinions on this, however I would strongly disagree with this statement. Amps do make a difference in their sound processing/tuning features, but I doubt you will notice as much of a difference going from a Pyramid amp to a McIntosh amp as you would going from a Pyramid component set to a Morel component set.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:19 AM
StreetOC192

OP, idea for you......

Alpine IVA-W205, no navi built-in, but you can add it later with the Alpine Blackbird unit. $800 on ebay

Alpine MRV-F545 amplifier. $305 on ebay
75x2 front into 4 ohms, 500x1 rear into 4ohms

Focal 165v1 components. $200 on ebay

Image Dynamics IDQ-10D2 subwoofer. $160 on ebay

Zenclosures pods. $140

Zenclosures box. $140

Wiring kit. $75

Sound damping. $100

Grand total: $1920
Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
JFrank

StreetOC192: I like your idea...this looks like a good possible set-up. I like the Alpine HU...you can't really go wrong with alpine. How is the ipod interface? Anybody else have any possible set-up ideas laid out like this.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Lsmith9523

Alpine Ipod interface is awesome,,,one of the best.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Alpine Ipod interface is awesome,,,one of the best.
I would agree and I heard it has only gotten better on the W205. There is a thread from not too long ago with some pics of the W205.

EDIT:
Here it is - https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/276309-alpine-iva-w205-installed.html
Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 PM
SSP-350z

I also would go alpine anyday over pioneer. I have had both the W-200 and then Avic N1 and prefer the alpine all day long !
Old 06-05-2007, 04:47 AM
JFrank

Just did some research on the Alpine website...I think I am sold on this unit! I love how alpine has made it easy to locate songs even when you have an ipod full of songs like mine. As for the pulse touch display....very interesting idea indeed.

NEXT....any recommendations on ZEnclosures....should I get the under strut box or stealth box or does it even matter. I would personally like the under strut box because it saves more space but I don't want to sacrifice sound.

Thanks for all the help so far guys
Old 06-05-2007, 05:14 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by JFrank
Just did some research on the Alpine website...I think I am sold on this unit! I love how alpine has made it easy to locate songs even when you have an ipod full of songs like mine. As for the pulse touch display....very interesting idea indeed.

NEXT....any recommendations on ZEnclosures....should I get the under strut box or stealth box or does it even matter. I would personally like the under strut box because it saves more space but I don't want to sacrifice sound.

Thanks for all the help so far guys
My opinion on this is the under strut box will provide the better sound for a given sub. I also like the look of it better. I even managed to maintain the use of my cargo net with the under strut box. Plus, not 100% positive on how the corner loaded box mounts, but the under strut box doesn't need to be screwed down at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:24 AM
JFrank

So I have decided on the Alpine IVA-W205 HU, ZEnclosures Door Pods, and the ZEnclosures Under Strut Box for Single 10".
Now I have to select an amp, sub, and component set and I will be ready to start purchasing.
With regards to the component sets, I know that everybody recommends going to hear them in person but I have very few opportunities to do this. I went on woofersetc.com but there are so many different brands and products that I am even more confused now! All I know is that I want something that will sounds good for all music types. I would like a good combination of highs and solid mids. Nothing overboard on either end of the spectrum. I guess I just want some good clean sound for a price that won't rape my pocket.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by JFrank
So I have decided on the Alpine IVA-W205 HU, ZEnclosures Door Pods, and the ZEnclosures Under Strut Box for Single 10".
Now I have to select an amp, sub, and component set and I will be ready to start purchasing.
With regards to the component sets, I know that everybody recommends going to hear them in person but I have very few opportunities to do this. I went on woofersetc.com but there are so many different brands and products that I am even more confused now! All I know is that I want something that will sounds good for all music types. I would like a good combination of highs and solid mids. Nothing overboard on either end of the spectrum. I guess I just want some good clean sound for a price that won't rape my pocket.
OK, well, I will tell you right off that MB Quart, Boston Acoustic, Alpine, and Polk tend to have very shrill highs. You can usually attenuate the tweets with a setting on the crossover that comes with the set, but this is just a heads up.

CDT, Infinity, Diamond, JL, and Focal are warmer in the highs.

Now, Infinity's components and Boston's lower end components tend to lack in the midbass - some of the others might as well, but I am not experienced enough. My Diamond D6 components are a great all around performer and the Diamond HEX are even a notch better on the midbass (the tweets are the same on both sets). A lot of guys here are running JL components and seem to love them. CDT's are also good all around performers and get high praise in the car audio community. If you can't even get into a store to compare a few sets to get an idea for the difference, I would recommend giong with a good all around performing set like Diamond D6 or HEX, JL Audio, Focal, or CDT. You can pick any of these up off ebay for relatively the same price ($200 a set or less). This is not to say that other sets/brands are not good, this is just my suggestion.

For the sub, I would go with (depending on power you are going to feed it) Diamond D6, Image Dynamics IDQ or IDMax, or JL Audio w3 or w6 sub to load into your Zenclosures box. Any of these will sound nice and provide great all around performance.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 06-05-2007 at 07:41 AM.