Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amp Goes into Protection Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007 | 07:41 AM
RedBullRR

Default Amp Goes into Protection Mode

Well after 4-5 hours ripping apart my car to install a 10 inch Solabaric Woofer in a Zenclosure in my car it sounded great for a good 5 minutes before going into Safe Mode. Here is what happened and what I did for now to make it work.

I thought maybe the wires Ground and 12 Volt were touching so I went out and bought clips to make sure they dont touch. Put in a new fuse and nada still in protection mode. Turns out the main fuse blew (by the battery). Put some aluminum foil to bridge the connection to see if I get power. Great getting a lil over 12V at the Amp. Turned it on and still the amp is in protection mode. Thought to myself perhaps the AMP is bad, I had it for sometime and it may be shot.

Went to Best Buy purchased a new 1000 Watt Amp. Put everything in zip tied it all down and turned it on. At first I wasnt to happy with the sound, sounded weaker then the other Amp. SO I turned up the Bass Boost and Level output. I had the speaker wires Bridged so I can run 1000 Watts to that 1 speaker. Once I turned it up a lil bit it went into protection mode. Okay at this point I was ready to rip all the wires out of the car. Checked to make sure I had power and all was good. Wired it back to non Bridge Mode and she was bumping again. Turned my levels up and it sounds great. However I want to bridge them because the speaker should be able to handle more then 500 Watts.

I'm going to try bridging them again now that it has been working for a good day. However any ideas what this could be? I did realize that the AMP can not be touching the bare metal of the car so I modified it so it wasnt. Not sure what else it can be any help would be good help.
Old 06-25-2007 | 07:47 AM
StreetOC192

what ohms are the voice coils in the sub? And what make/model amps are you trying (both old and new)?

Also, the foil idea in the fuse holder is not a safe idea. I know you were using it to troubleshoot, but PLEASE be careful.....fuses blow to protect the car and the equipment.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 06-25-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:07 AM
RedBullRR

Below are the Specs for the Sub. The Amp was something I picked up at Best Buy I believe it is a Power Acoustic 1000 Watt 2 Channel Amp. I did the Foil trick for the Fuse because I blew it when I was disconnecting everything the 12V touched ground and Poof there goes the fuse. I will go out and buy a new 1 I was just using it like that for troubleshooting. Do you think I was trying to send to much wattage to the sub itself?

BooksCarsClothingComputersElectronicsFlowers & GiftsHealth & Beauty
Home & GardenJewelryKids & FamilyMoviesMusicOfficeSportsVideo Games

Search for: in All Categories Books Cars Clothing & Accessories Computers & Software Electronics Flower & Gifts Health & Beauty Home & Garden Jewelry & Watches Kids and Family Movies Music Office Sports & Outdoors Video Games

Sponsored Listings
Subwoofer Enclosures
caraudiofactory.com/ - High quality custom boxes & more; Straight from the factory to you.
Kicker Component Speakers
www.hifisoundconnection.com - Kicker authorized dealer selling Kicker Component Speakers
$123.99 Shipped ZX250.2
www.CartronixPlus.com - Free Shipping & Brand New This Kicker Amp In stock Now
Kicker Car Speakers
www.best-price.com/Electronics - You search for car electronics? We got it - up to 75% cheaper!
1/2 Off - Car Subwoofers
Cheap Car Audio .us - Pyle & Pyramid Car Audio Subwoofers Lowest prices in the Country! -SALE
Back to: Electronics > Car Audio and Electronics > Car Speakers and Subwoofers > Kicker 02S10L74 Car Subwoofer

Kicker 02S10L74 Car Subwoofer: Product Features
Read 1 review | Write a review at Epinions.com
Titanium deposit cone ~ Non-resonant aluminum basket ~ Santoprene rubber surround ~ Dual 4-ohm voice coils ~ Frequency response 24-100 Hz ~ Power range 75-600 watts RMS(300W per coil) ~ Peak power handling 1,200 watts ~ Sensitivity 85.6 dB SPL ~ Top-mount depth 6-3/8" ~ Sealed box volume 0.66-1.0 cubic feet ~ Ported box volume 1.25-2.25 cubic feet

Product Details
Key Features
Car Speaker Type Component

Car Speaker Function Subwoofer

Size 10"

Nominal Power Handling 600 Watt RMS

Powered Non-Powered
Technical Features
Peak Power Handling 1200 Watt

Frequency Response 24 Hz - 100 Hz

Sensitivity 85.7 dB

Impedance 4 ohm (Dual Coil)
Components
Woofer Material Metal
Mounting
Enclosure Non-Enclosed

Top Mounting Depth 6.38 In.

Mounting Diameter / Length 9.50 In.
Warranty
Warranty 1 Year
Miscellaneous
MPN s10l74
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:20 AM
Apanther

I did realize that the AMP can not be touching the bare metal of the car so I modified it so it wasnt. Not sure what else it can be any help would be good help.
I found this out years ago too. Sometimes if you screw an amp down too tightly, the case does something to ground it out, causing it to "clip" loosen the screws securing it to the base and you don't get this.
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:20 AM
doug

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Well after 4-5 hours ripping apart my car to install a 10 inch Solabaric Woofer in a Zenclosure in my car it sounded great for a good 5 minutes before going into Safe Mode. Here is what happened and what I did for now to make it work.

I thought maybe the wires Ground and 12 Volt were touching so I went out and bought clips to make sure they dont touch. Put in a new fuse and nada still in protection mode. Turns out the main fuse blew (by the battery). Put some aluminum foil to bridge the connection to see if I get power. Great getting a lil over 12V at the Amp. Turned it on and still the amp is in protection mode. Thought to myself perhaps the AMP is bad, I had it for sometime and it may be shot.

Went to Best Buy purchased a new 1000 Watt Amp. Put everything in zip tied it all down and turned it on. At first I wasnt to happy with the sound, sounded weaker then the other Amp. SO I turned up the Bass Boost and Level output. I had the speaker wires Bridged so I can run 1000 Watts to that 1 speaker. Once I turned it up a lil bit it went into protection mode. Okay at this point I was ready to rip all the wires out of the car. Checked to make sure I had power and all was good. Wired it back to non Bridge Mode and she was bumping again. Turned my levels up and it sounds great. However I want to bridge them because the speaker should be able to handle more then 500 Watts.

I'm going to try bridging them again now that it has been working for a good day. However any ideas what this could be? I did realize that the AMP can not be touching the bare metal of the car so I modified it so it wasnt. Not sure what else it can be any help would be good help.
are the speaker wires connected when it goes into protection?

when my amp went into protection.. here is what i did..

1) disconnected speaker wires
2) disconnect RCA's
3) fired up amp

amp was no longer in protection..

turned the car off

plugged in RCA's and fired up car...

amp was no longer in protection

turned car off

plugged in speaker wires...

amp goes into protection

check noticed that the speaker wires on the left side of the sub were disconnected and touching..

if you disconnect everything and only the speaker wires are putting it into protection.. it could also be the connection inside the box..

if you are going into protection without RCA's and speaker wires..

i would get 3 wires ((2) positive (1) ground) .. connect the 1 positive to positive input and the other positive to the remote turn on.. then twine them at the ends.. then connect the ground.. then have somone hold the amp while you make the connection at the battery.. .if the amp is still in protection.. something is wrong with the amp.. if not.. then something is wrong with your wire connections to the amp.. either your remote wire is bad.. maybe its sheered and touching metal of the chassi or even your power wire.. or maybe your ground
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:23 AM
Apanther

doug has a good troubleshooting guide. speaker wire polarity issues or touching will also cause clips.
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:24 AM
RedBullRR

Currently the AMP is not in protection mode and is working fine however it is running on 1 channel and not being bridged. I am going to try bridging the wires again and turning the Bass Level lower then what it is now to see if it will go into protection mode. I have so far tried everything you guys have suggested. As I stated it is working however not to its fullest capabilities.
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:43 AM
doug

Currently the AMP is not in protection mode and is working fine however it is running on 1 channel and not being bridged. I am going to try bridging the wires again and turning the Bass Level lower then what it is now to see if it will go into protection mode. I have so far tried everything you guys have suggested. As I stated it is working however not to its fullest capabilities.
is it 1 sub? or 2 subs? if its going into protection in bridge mode.. the wiring isn't right.. and the amp is probably dropping into .5 ohm and causing it.. are you sure the amp is 1 ohm stable?
Old 06-25-2007 | 08:50 AM
Ichigo

Use this to check how you have the sub wired:

OR

Old 06-25-2007 | 09:43 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by doug
is it 1 sub? or 2 subs? if its going into protection in bridge mode.. the wiring isn't right.. and the amp is probably dropping into .5 ohm and causing it.. are you sure the amp is 1 ohm stable?
This is what I was eluding to by asking what the ohm loads of the voice coils on the sub are. If the amp is not stable bridged to 2 ohms then that is why it will go to protect. And would explain why it runs fine unbridged.
Old 06-25-2007 | 09:44 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by doug
Hey What's up. It's 1 Sub. I am not sure if the AMP is 1 OHM stable, not sure what that means to tell you the truth. Hopefully you can enlighten me as I am not that great with the techinical terms. I just checked it again during lunch and once again when I bridge the Speaker Wire 1 on the Neg of 1 side of the 2 channel, and 1 on the Positive as it shows a lil diagram on wiring. It will cut off after putting the music up. If I put it to 1 channel it works just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...QQcmdZViewItem

Above is a Link to the AMP I bought. Except I bought it new from BestBuy Anyhow it states its 2OHM Stable.

Last edited by RedBullRR; 06-25-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2007 | 09:53 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Use this to check how you have the sub wired:

OR

As much as I would like for this to make sense to me it isnt. I guess I would have to take the speaker out of the Box to check how it is wired inside. Could it be that the speaker is wired that I cant bridge it, and causing the amp to go into protection mode? If so... Should I take the speaker out and wire it so I can bridge it? I'm sorry I never wired just 1 sub. I usually install my own system never really ran into this kind of problem.

How should it be wired (Speaker Side) if I want to bridge my AMP?
Old 06-25-2007 | 09:57 AM
StreetOC192

As much as I would like for this to make sense to me it isnt. I guess I would have to take the speaker out of the Box to check how it is wired inside. Could it be that the speaker is wired that I cant bridge it, and causing the amp to go into protection mode? If so... Should I take the speaker out and wire it so I can bridge it? I'm sorry I never wired just 1 sub. I usually install my own system never really ran into this kind of problem.

How should it be wired (Speaker Side) if I want to bridge my AMP?
Well, you need to find out what your amp is stable to bridged.....4 ohms? 2 ohms?

According to the specs you gave above, your sub is a dual 4 ohm coil, so you can wire it to yield either a 2 ohm load or a 8 ohm load. It's really dependant on what the amp is stable to though.
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:04 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Well, you need to find out what your amp is stable to bridged.....4 ohms? 2 ohms?

According to the specs you gave above, your sub is a dual 4 ohm coil, so you can wire it to yield either a 2 ohm load or a 8 ohm load. It's really dependant on what the amp is stable to though.
Thanks! After reading all this, I ran outside and checked the freaking AMP LOL! It states 2 OHMS Stable. The Sub Specs say 2 OHMs as well. Well according to the ads I see out there. Tell me what you think is going on here. Do you think I need to re-wire the Sub inside the Enclosure?
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:39 AM
Ichigo

Ok so your amp is 2 ohm stable. Wire your sub like the top diagram turn down the gain and turn off that bass boost and you should be OK.
It might currently be wired inside to show an 8ohm load, which causes the amp to make a fraction of its rated power, so in turn you jack the gain and bass boost up to compensate hence the amp goes into protection mode
Old 06-25-2007 | 10:47 AM
RedBullRR

Ok so your amp is 2 ohm stable. Wire your sub like the top diagram turn down the gain and turn off that bass boost and you should be OK.
It might currently be wired inside to show an 8ohm load, which causes the amp to make a fraction of its rated power, so in turn you jack the gain and bass boost up to compensate hence the amp goes into protection mode
You sir are the $hit! Thanks for the Help. I'll go and do that when I get home. That's what it sounds like to me. Because if everything is down it works but sounds like crap. When I try and boos the Bass it cuts off and goes into safe mode. So.... I guess who ever had the speaker b4 me had it wired not for a 2 Ohm Stable Amp.
Old 06-25-2007 | 11:42 AM
StreetOC192

+1
Old 06-26-2007 | 04:20 AM
RedBullRR

So you were rite! When I opened up the Box there was a cable connecting both sides on the speaker. Removed the extra wire and wired it up for 2OHMs, bridged my cables turned the bass down, and BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM! LOL It's working! Can't believe how loud that lil 10" speaker is.

Only problem I'm having now is it sounds like my left side speakers are shot out of no were. Since doing the install I cant here sound coming from the Left. I tried putting back the Bose Sub to see if that is what effected the balance but nothing.

Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2007 | 04:30 AM
Lsmith9523

While making adjustments on the headunit, you could have tweaked the balance setting,...Check all headunit settings.....I am sure you have done that,,,,but just trying to help.....Good Luck
Old 06-26-2007 | 05:11 AM
Ichigo

Thats good news, glad it works now.

You provided details on the sub and sub-amp in your setup, post some details about the rest of the system like what headunit are you using what front and rear speakers, any other amps added to the system... that will help us figure it out.

Quick Reply: Amp Goes into Protection Mode