Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Is it just me, or does the BOSE Bass absolutely blow...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
black06z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know whatcha mean by the stock Bose system blowing. Im definitely getting rid of all the speakers and HU and replacing them with Alpine components.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 AM
TenTilFour

Well I'm beginning to wonder if my bose sub is blown because I really don't hear a difference with or without it... I don't really need anything extreme - just a decent bass. Could I just buy an economy amp + bass and install it fine with the rest of the OEM bose setup?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Ichigo

Try an Infinity basslink.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
MikeEwithTheZ

i have a sub in the stock location, but i got it fiberglassed in with a different unit and love it....but then again i dont listen to predominately bass blasting music
Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
StreetOC192

For a really easy budget add-on package that won't overwhelm the factory Bose mids/highs, but will add some nice depth to the bottom end:

Kenwood amp with 2 10" subs package: $170 (amp has speaker level inputs)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JD2eg8N...250&I=113PW510

Zenclosures dual 10" under strut enclosure: $140
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-350z-Cust...QQcmdZViewItem

Polyfil: $13
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JD2eg8N...lyfil&i=027808

8awg amp wiring kit: $40 (you won't need the rca patch cable, but will need speaker wire)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x3h2Vnf...search=amp+kit

Grand total $363

Last edited by StreetOC192; 07-03-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
TenTilFour

I listen to a lot of piano with heavy bass and it just gets murdered with the bose bass... I don't need anything super loud, I just want to hear my bass undertones. What I'd really like to do is get a ZEnclosure box, mid-range amp + bass and put them in it.

edit:

streetOC192 read my mind - thanks for the links.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
how loud do you need your music? Are you guys a bunch of those annoying guys that make their cars sound like aluminum cans due to you weird rap music? lol. No offense but you only look cool to yourself when doing that lol.
obviously someone who has never heard a proper sound setup has no idea what it should sound like..

when i had my diamond audio comps and ID Max sub in my car.. i would get compliments at the drive through because you could actually hear my mids, highs and lows .. not just a vibrating trunk.

A good system setup.. you can play it at low volume and still get all 3 to sound perfectly well.. a measure of a good system is to have the volume really low and still hear detailed accurate bass
Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
doug

Originally Posted by TenTilFour
Well I'm beginning to wonder if my bose sub is blown because I really don't hear a difference with or without it... I don't really need anything extreme - just a decent bass. Could I just buy an economy amp + bass and install it fine with the rest of the OEM bose setup?
its not blown.. its just crap.. the 6x9's in my Jeep hits harder than my Bose Sub did.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bose is complete cr@p. I've since replaced every factory component down to the cr@p wiring with Infinity, Alpine, Monster, Tsunami... Much happier now. I'm only up to about $2300 so far... Not too bad.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by doug
its not blown.. its just crap.. the 6x9's in my Jeep hits harder than my Bose Sub did.
LOL, don't knock it, properly installed 6x9's can thow out some bump!!!! They may not be sonically correct, but they can bump.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
doug

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
LOL, don't knock it, properly installed 6x9's can thow out some bump!!!! They may not be sonically correct, but they can bump.
oh trust me.. i am a firm believer of sound is round.. but the system in my Jeep sounds pretty good.. and its holding me down till i get my car back
Old 07-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Sponge

Speaking of 6x9s, back in the day I had some JBL pro audio 3-ways. 5 lbs of magnets in an aluminum frame. These things hit harder than a pissed-off stepmom :0 To date some of the best speakers I've heard.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
kleefton

All I needed to do with the Bose system to get more bass was to replace the stock Bose head unit with something Pioneer. I have the Pioneer D3 head unit with navi and I'll be damned if I can't hear the Bose Sub now. Pioneer head units have a history of working well with bose factory systems. I did the same thing in an old Maxima of mine and experienced the same thing. The sound quality has gone from mediocre to just simply very good. The loudness I don't really care about but I've got chest pumping bass now and it's way louder than the stock unit. I could use more highs though, so I may add some tweeters later and maybe a nice amp, but the bass is there. Definitely there. You don't need to spend thousands to make this a good sounding system. That's just BS.

I'm surprised none of you "experts" has mentioned how weak the stock Bose head unit is, and that is is the main problem with the Z's Bose system.

Last edited by kleefton; 08-06-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SargentZ
my stock non-bose system makes the rearview mirror vibrate. hmmm
So does the resonance from my stock tires at 20 miles per hour because it's so ungodly loud. Your mirror moving is not an accurate gauge of sound quality.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kleefton
All I needed to do with the Bose system to get more bass was to replace the stock Bose head unit with something Pioneer. I have the Pioneer D3 head unit with navi and I'll be damned if I can't hear the Bose Sub now. Pioneer head units have a history of working well with bose factory systems. I did the same thing in an old Maxima of mine and experienced the same thing. The sound quality has gone from mediocre to just simply very good. The loudness I don't really care about but I've got chest pumping bass now and it's way louder than the stock unit. I could use more highs though, so I may add some tweeters later and maybe a nice amp, but the bass is there. Definitely there. You don't need to spend thousands to make this a good sounding system. That's just BS.

I'm surprised none of you "experts" has mentioned how weak the stock Bose head unit is, and that is is the main problem with the Z's Bose system.
Hmmm... You only replaced the H/U, and nothing else? And... now you have good sound?

That is an unusual report.

--Spike
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
noir06

No highs? No lows? Must be BOSE!

Check this out when you have some time!! "Better Profits Through Marketing" LOL

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 AM
shocka04

Wish the bose system was an option for all trim levels? Im def going to replace all the speakers and sub cuz they dont sound good at all. especially the sub, it has basically no bass
Old 08-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Seel

Originally Posted by kleefton

In all seriousness I feel a little sorry for you. I added my Alpine headunit to the Bose system the week before I completed my entire sound system (PPI comps, 10" sub, 1200watt amp, Zenclosure...) so I know what you mean by it sounding better. You're right it sounds better. Does it sound good? No way, not even close. Maybe you've never been around an aftermarket sound system done right, but it's night and day over that. If the sound system is important to you at all, ask around here and put one together on your own budget. It's well worth it.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Same here. I did about exactly what you describe, and can report I had the same results. (Good post... you understand.)

Before installing all the components of my CES build-up, I put in a high-end Clarion H/U... and ran the stock system with the Clarion H/U as the only new component (as a test). Everything was better (sound, terrestrial radio reception, CD player performance, etc.). But (and, as you point out), "better" is not necessarily "very good sound." An idiot in a room full of idiots is still an idiot.

Then I tried adding an amp (while keeping the Nissan EOM speakers). This did provide a slight (but hardly noticeable) improvement.

Finally...Adding good front speakers (I installed Focal 165V Slim component speakers) is what provided "very good sound."

Simply swapping the H/U will provide a minor improvement that may be satisfactory for some users, but this will not give you "very good sound." To get "very good sound," you need to replace the CES (H/U, amp, and front speakers).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 08-07-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or does the BOSE Bass absolutely blow...