Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

12" Sub UNDER Strut Bar??? Anyone Pull This

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:57 PM
KJ-350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" Sub UNDER Strut Bar??? Anyone Pull This

one of yet? Every other piece of the system is here and in the process of being installed. But now I just need to decide on my sub(s). Here is my dilemma, please let me know what you think..

I have the PPI PCX-1250 mono block amp that I will be using. At 1st the plan was 2 10W3v2 and each would get 250-275 watts. I have always used 10s in my previous systems b/c I really like how clean they are and how they can react. But I've always missed not having a mouth dropping looooow end!

So was tossing the idea around of just doing one 12W6v2 on my PPI 1250 and it would get all 500 alone! I want the fast crisp / clean punch of the 10s but with just more low end! So has anyone pulled off a box with one 12 under the strut bar? I wasn't able to find anything in the search, everything that came so far were 10s. Mostly NAZARs boxes or people that made their own version of it. Is there enough room to squeeze a 12 under there with some creative thinking or positioning?

PS
I know alot have done one 12 using a false floor but I do not want the sub in that position or firing directly up and have to lose the spare tire etc.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:19 PM
mf01

I don't think it will fit. Check out my pctures here: http://fifield.50megs.com/db350/stereo/
A 10 is about as big as you could fit due to the height of the strut area.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:52 PM
erock

Originally posted by mf01
I don't think it will fit. Check out my pctures here: http://fifield.50megs.com/db350/stereo/
Looks good, how's it sound? How much to build the the box (materials, etc.)
Old 05-19-2003, 06:03 PM
mf01

The box cost about $18 for wood (3/4" MDF), $4 for screws, $1 or 2 for liquid nails, $10 for vinyl, and $4 for spray adhesive. It was like $38 + tax and some patience with the wood. I've probably built about 8-10 subwoofer enclosures over the years, this one is most compex due to the curve of it. It gets a lot louder than I need. I use to have two 12" Rockford Fosgate punch subs, which got a louder, but the sound quality of this sub is much better.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:22 PM
erock

The box cost about $18 for wood (3/4" MDF), $4 for screws, $1 or 2 for liquid nails, $10 for vinyl, and $4 for spray adhesive. It was like $38 + tax and some patience with the wood. I've probably built about 8-10 subwoofer enclosures over the years, this one is most compex due to the curve of it. It gets a lot louder than I need. I use to have two 12" Rockford Fosgate punch subs, which got a louder, but the sound quality of this sub is much better.
Sounds good, I think I've got a project for this summer.....
Old 05-19-2003, 06:28 PM
socal619

I have a 12" w6v2 sub to install too. I talked with a guy at Tweeter...he said the only way was to make a custom box in the spare tire area....$1000.00, I haven't done it yet cause I think that price is alittle steep. Let me know if you find out something better.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:43 PM
erock

Originally posted by socal619
I have a 12" w6v2 sub to install too. I talked with a guy at Tweeter...he said the only way was to make a custom box in the spare tire area....$1000.00, I haven't done it yet cause I think that price is alittle steep. Let me know if you find out something better.
yea, I got 2 12" that I had planned to put under the strut but I guess they don't fit, so, I'll just put them in my girl's car..... I don't want to do the spare tire thing, cuz I'd be paranoid if I didn't have it.....
Old 05-19-2003, 08:42 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice and pratical...

What was your method in getting the dimensions for the box to fit under the strut?

Did you stencil it with some poster board? Actually took a ruler out and measure the angle?
I figure that'd be the hardest part for me =T
Old 05-20-2003, 07:00 AM
mf01

I cut a piece of rectangular wood, then put it up against the strut bar. From there I took a pencil and made a line from the other side of the strut using the strut and cut it. It wasn't perfect the first time, so I took out the jigsaw and sander and worked it down till it fit in nice and clean. It took some time getting it to fit good, but it was worth it.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:13 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet...

My pops and I have a gazillion industrial and domestic wood cutters in the garage. Judging from your pics it seems like a fairly straightforward procedure. Thanks for the tips
Old 05-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Daewoo

kj-350

I think I have figured out how you can do this and keep your spare. I will try and explain it but it may be difficult without pictures. I have 2 options

1. look at erocks. imagine that his facestuck out about 1-2" more and tilted back. This would give you more surface area and allow for the sub. You would have to be a good wood worker but it would work. The top of your box would also change. the pitch would be more severe. It would have to slope harder to enclose the cone. The box would also stick out further than the strut bar it would not be flush. But you can mask this with your finish work.

So essentially from the side it wouldl look a little like a trinagle with one of its corners cut off.
__ _
l sl / \
l t l / \ with the sub facing this way ->
l r l / \
l ul l \
l t l l___ _\__________(floor)____
tower

2. Instead of your box being a rectangle shoot for a sqare. if you look at erock's imagine the base of his box dipped down into the floor. Kinda inmagine the box looking like a diamond.

kinda like ^ or /\
< > / \
V ___ \ / ______(floor)__
\ /

this would require you doing some work to the floor of your trunk. cutting a trench into the cardboard. but it should work. Just imagine turning a square box onto its point.
__
l sl __
l t l l b l with the sub facing this way ->
l r l l O l
l ul l X l
l t l_ l l ____(floor)_________
\__l__/

I can't imagine that this is translatig into meaningful stuff but if it at all looks promising I will go further.

(I slid the box out so you could see what the box looks like but it would be pushed up against the strut bar in the 1st drawing and under the bar in the second.)

Last edited by Daewoo; 05-22-2003 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:05 AM
Daewoo

F#$$#k!!!!!!!

All of that work and computer posted all of my wonderful diagrams all F#!ked up!

o well I guess you will have to just imagine it for urself.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:41 AM
toykilla

i am designing and building a box for 2 12" subs. It may end up being 2 separate boxes. Should take up minimal space. Sorry I can't give any details at this time because i only have a general idea of how its going to work.. will do some more planning this weekend though and estimate how long before completion.

my goal is to have the box easily removable for track purposes, yet take up little space.

It can and will be done!!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
actordan

I know this is a little late to post a reply, but I got some people here in san diego area working on a box for me for a single 12" under strut box with the sub facing towards the trunk, I don;t know exactly how the guy is doing it but we went over a few ideas and the actual box will extend towards the front of the car and then place a "vanity" peice over the box from the rear of the strut to right above the rear speaker panel. IN that vanity peice the amp will be placed for show purposes. So far I have him at or around four hundred dollars with a shout out if I get in a mag. So if anyone is interested maybe he can hook you guys up with the install from the directions of mine.....will post pics some time next week when it is all done.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 AM
B-Unit

This may sound soo retarded, but if i have a sub, how do i go about finding out the dimensions for the airspace on a box??

Do i look at the recommended airspace for the sub, then just get that by (base area) x (height) ?? Thanx
Old 06-08-2005, 01:38 AM
350Mark

Only way to do it is with a custom fiberglass box.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Badfish25

very possible but gotta go custom, lots of work.....From Zboy
Old 06-09-2005, 10:17 AM
UCLAzzz

Default Exactly what I'm looking for!!

That's a 12 right? How much does a setup like that cost? Where did you get it done? How does it sound, do you get the low end bass line nicely? Set off alarms?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
momo 350z

just my 2cents worth,im in the processes of bulding my box for a 12" sub under the strut bar.basically the same box set-up as pictured above< 10 " sub> but using spacer's on the front side were the sub would be mounted.should give me about .75 cubic ft of air space for my sub. will let you know how it turns out..
Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 PM
r.c.y.k.

my 12" sub require 2 - 1.25 cubic ft... do u guys think there would be enough space?

Quick Reply: 12" Sub UNDER Strut Bar??? Anyone Pull This