Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

front speaker depth

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 PM
hoss4131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front speaker depth

does anyone know what is the maximum depth of the front door speaker on the Z? i got some bad *** mids, but im almost afraid they are going to be too deep for the Z's doors .

any help would be appreciated, as i really dont want to mount them in the rear deck since they will KILL my sound stage...

TIA!!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 PM
I am with Z

Originally Posted by hoss4131
does anyone know what is the maximum depth of the front door speaker on the Z? i got some bad *** mids, but im almost afraid they are going to be too deep for the Z's doors .

any help would be appreciated, as i really dont want to mount them in the rear deck since they will KILL my sound stage...

TIA!!

what speakers are they, I'll tell you if they fit
Old 09-30-2007, 05:31 AM
hoss4131

RE XXX 6.5"s.

why cant you just tell me the speaker depth?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I don’t know the maximum depth in the front door, but this information might be helpful. I tried mounting a Focal 165 V2 speaker in the door space using the stock grilles and it didn’t fit. The 165 V Slim did fit.

Focal’s website gives these specs for the speakers:
165 V2 - Depth from wall: 68mm (2.7")
165 V Slim - Depth from wall: 56mm (2.2")

I think the RE Audio XXX 6.5" speakers are over 3 inches deep, so I doubt they will fit without doing some modification. They look like nice speakers.

--Spike
Old 09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
hoss4131

yeah, they are nealy 4" deep...

i wanted to avoid modifying the doors as much as possible, because honestly, if i have to modify them, i will just put 8"s in there most likely... my only other option is to put the XXX's in the rear speaker location, but thats going to kill my sound stage...

i guess i could try it and see if it really bothers me that much. might as well do that before i go cutting anything up or buying anything new...

and the re mids are pretty amazing speakers . great sound, and GREAT output (especially down low) out of 6.5" speakers. i have run them all the way down without a sub stage before and they hold there own very well . just gotta make sure you have something else to pick up from about 1khz on up. and they look sectsy too
Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when youre saying that the speakers wouldnt fit, are you saying that they hit the door panel? depth as far as inside the door shouldnt matter, the only real limitation is how far its hitting the panel on the outside.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
hoss4131

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
when youre saying that the speakers wouldnt fit, are you saying that they hit the door panel? depth as far as inside the door shouldnt matter, the only real limitation is how far its hitting the panel on the outside.
its both actually, mounting depth measurement gives you the total usable space for mounting a woofer in there. and even if its not hitting the door pannel when you mount it, doesnt mean its not going to hit the door pannel ever

but the bottom line of this thread, is they arent gonna fit in the doors, not without heavy modifications that i dont want to do
Old 10-01-2007, 06:07 AM
clarkemtp

...depth as far as inside the door shouldnt matter...
Famous last words. If you think it doesn't matter, try rolling down the window after you put in speakers that are too deep. That glass doesn't just "magic" itself away when you push the down button. It has to go somewhere. lol
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkemtp
Famous last words. If you think it doesn't matter, try rolling down the window after you put in speakers that are too deep. That glass doesn't just "magic" itself away when you push the down button. It has to go somewhere. lol
I understand that, but what I was alluding to was that spacers can be used to fix the depth issue. The only thing you *can't* fix is the space between the speaker and the door panel if the speaker comes out too far.. Sorry for not being clear enough.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 AM
clarkemtp

I understand that, but what I was alluding to was that spacers can be used to fix the depth issue. The only thing you *can't* fix is the space between the speaker and the door panel if the speaker comes out too far.. Sorry for not being clear enough.
No problem man. I didn't understand what you were getting at because, generally, a speaker's "depth" does refer to how far it extends under the mounting surface. You're right though, pretty much ANY speaker will require a spacer for our doors (some a larger spacer than others, lol) but unless you plan on modding the door panel/grill cover the one thing you can't change will be that door panel interference. I used seperate mids/tweets, so clearance in front of the driver really wasn't a concern for me.

Regards.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:04 AM
hoss4131

does anyone know the rear speaker depth? i dont think my mids are going to fit back there either

at least not with without spacers... what is the maximum size spacer i can use back there without having to cut the pannel?