Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Whos got Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 Components up front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM
r3zon8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos got Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 Components up front?

wanted to know what you thought about them....

any trouble during install?

how did you install the tweeters? cut factory panel? used pods?

hows the sound over stock woofer/tweeter?

are the highs too harsh??
Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 AM
r3zon8

I finished installed the driver front last night after searching like crazy how to take apart the 06 door panel...turns out 'there is no screw'..you just pull real hard...ill finish up the passenger tonight and post pics of everything.

so how does it sound?

the new component set definitely sound more clear, and less distorted that the stock set. I am directly comparing the two sets by keeping the fader all the way up front, and just playing with the balance left to right as i play different genres.

ive got pio p6800dvd HU driving the speakers. i know most will argue that i need to have a dedicated two channel amp running the component set but i havent dropped the cash on the amp yet.

my BIGGEST concern/question..is that i notice when i move the balance all the way to the right, the STOCK set is actually putting out more bass than the new component set. how is this possible? is it because the inifiniti needs more power? but given the same power, shouldnt the component set sound better? please correct me...

as far as the highs, these tweeters are definitely sharp, maybe too sharp..i havent spent enought time listening to them to decide just yet..On the crossover, there were jumpers where i can select -4, 0 , +4 settings for the tweeters. After i had the driver speakers all done and wired up, i sat in the car and played some music, trying to decide what setting i should start at with the tweeters. I couldnt really decide, plus it was almost 1am...so i left it at 0. this so far provides me with some much improved clarity over stock set even at lower volumes, but when it gets cranked up, there are some songs that almost make my ears cringe....i might set the passenger side at -4, and do my balance tests for another couple days and see where i rather have it.

Last edited by r3zon8; 10-03-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Delako

well I bet the crossover in the infinity set is TONS better than the stock set. More bass doesnt mean better sound, but instead your infinitys are performing like a midrange woofer and tweeter should. I just put in some Infinity reference components and I noticed the bass decreased as well. I notice a lot more details in the music now that I didnt hear before.

Instrumentals specifically sound awesome.. I also installed an alpine 100 x 4 amp to run them too. I can absolutely crank it and get no distortion.( I got a roadster so more power is needed when the top is down). Your components WILL sound better with more power. But like me, youll also need to get a sub installed to finish off the entire system.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 AM
r3zon8

glad to hear the bass 'issue' isnt an issue at all, thought maybe there was an problem with the woofer..

i agree with picking up more details in music that i didnt hear at all before. really loving this new set.

got a zenclosure sub, 2x10.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Delako

Originally Posted by r3zon8
glad to hear the bass 'issue' isnt an issue at all, thought maybe there was an problem with the woofer..

i agree with picking up more details in music that i didnt hear at all before. really loving this new set.

got a zenclosure sub, 2x10.

Cool Im gonna just go with 1-10 in the wickedCAS stock location box. Gonna get that done at the same time as DVD.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 AM
StreetOC192

After market components do not put out a lot of bass on purpose.

Goals for an OEM sound system - get as much sound out of as few cheap drivers as possible, which will cut production cost. Since OEM systems are not using a sub for the most part, they need to get as much low freq out of the components or coaxials as possible. Even the OEM systems that have a sub, the sub is of poor quality usually and begs for replacement.

Goals for an after market component set - Produce the best quality sound, knowing that most likely the consumer will be adding an after market subwoofer system. After market component manufacturers purposely do not make their mids capable of extending into the lower reaches of the freq spectrum to:
a) focus on providing better sound in a more specialized freq range.
b) push the consumer to 'need' a subwoofer system, thereby spending more money on after market audio equipment.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:38 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r3zon8
I finished installed the driver front last night after searching like crazy how to take apart the 06 door panel...turns out 'there is no screw'..you just pull real hard...
uh... you have me very scared with this statement...there are definetly screws holding the door panel in, 3 of htem infact...

for what my opinion is worth, i dont like infinity spekaers, espeicalyl the kappas and the perfects, their only redeeming characterstics is good midbass output, beyond that, highs are shrill and and the midrange is not very realistic...

but again, it comes down to personal preerence, so if you enjoy it, thats all that matters.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM
r3zon8

i mean to say theres no screw in the pocket of the driver side door..as with older models.

what components would you have recommended? <$300
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to get the exact infinitys you have but i got some CDT's instead. They sound amazing in the z.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 AM
tropicaldreamer

Default Infinity Questions on 2007 Roadster

Originally Posted by Delako
well I bet the crossover in the infinity set is TONS better than the stock set. More bass doesnt mean better sound, but instead your infinitys are performing like a midrange woofer and tweeter should. I just put in some Infinity reference components and I noticed the bass decreased as well. I notice a lot more details in the music now that I didnt hear before.

Instrumentals specifically sound awesome.. I also installed an alpine 100 x 4 amp to run them too. I can absolutely crank it and get no distortion.( I got a roadster so more power is needed when the top is down). Your components WILL sound better with more power. But like me, youll also need to get a sub installed to finish off the entire system.
Hello,
Did you maintain your factory radio/cd system and just go through and replace all of your existing speakers with the Infinity ones; about how much did that cost?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM
UltraYellow350z

I just upgraded from the Infinity Perfects in the stock locations and my DLS speakers are much better. The biggest problem I had with the perfects was the tweeters, simply too sharp and will give you a headache after a while. I was putting 150w on them and they were very clear, just sharp as heck. The only alternative I had was to tune the eq and lower something around the 4k setting. Aside from that, the midbass is also lacking. But they are very clear speakers, I give them that much.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

for sub 300, my choice would be the DLS MS6. at arpound 275-300.

I have installed, tuned and heard a lot of speakers in that price range, and its among my favorite if not my favorite.

but i definetly believe stock location in the Z has a tendency to make speake5r sound worse by quite a bit. just like ultrayellow pointed out, the infinitys he had, were good midbass speakers, infact better than the DLS he swapped them in with, but becuase he got htem in kicks versus stock location, midbass response is greatly improved.

my thing again infinity is as people aluuded it, is the midrange and highs, "clear" often means that the seaker is quite a bit harsh, forward sounding, too much highs will make it sound "clear" but also cause listneing fatigue and NOT what the music often should sound like. i prefer warm, laid back and more realistic reproduction...

whcih is why DLS, Seas, Morel, AVI are among my favorite brands for car audio
Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 AM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
my thing again infinity is as people aluuded it, is the midrange and highs, "clear" often means that the seaker is quite a bit harsh, forward sounding, too much highs will make it sound "clear" but also cause listneing fatigue and NOT what the music often should sound like. i prefer warm, laid back and more realistic reproduction...
Clear midrange and tweeter means that it doesn't have tailored roll-off on the high end like you prefer, however that does not mean it is inaccurate. Problem is that most cars are very bright environments, so a non-laid back speaker can come across as fatiguing. Simply pad the tweeters down a bit and you'll be fine with a set of Perfects.

Warm = distortion (2nd)
laid back = rolled off high end
realistic reproduction = not what most people actually like.

What everyone has come to like and what is accurate are to very different things Bing .. you know that. DLS speakers are far from accurate ... but they sound great.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

oh i know what oyu mean Jim...

as far as my preference against the kappas, is that they, to me, have abnormal amount of upper midrange and highs energy...and they fatigue my ears a lot.

as for realistic reproduction of music, that part i would have to disagree with you slightly. i dont think its that most people dislike realism, its hta thtey havent ever relaly been exposed to a relatively realstic system in a vehicle. of course, where oyu do have a point is in the subbass department, as i would say most people who prefer bass arent neccessarily listneing to the bass in their car at "realistic" levels...but i was distinctly referring to the midrange and tweet.

my whole point about clear often equating to a bit oforward and harsh sounding specifically points to what a lot of people describe as "clear", instead of sayingit in a specific definition sense.

when you have an overabundance of upper midrange and highs, things do indeed sound "clear", as a lot of the definition in the audible range is basically in that spectrum...but i dont believe that is by any means the definition of a good spekaer or one that people prefer to listen to.

hehe it hink you and I can have a totally different discussion on this stuff htan what i am posting here on the forum regarding a simple question about kappas btw, you coming to ces this year?