Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Best car alarm for the 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM
TBDesigns
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best car alarm for the 350z?

I know lo-jack is the best but when it comes to car alarms which is the best?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Fairly Z

Lo-Jack is not the best. The reason is that only Lo-Jack or the Police can determine where your car is; you can't. In my car, I've got a Viper 7900 Two-Way Pager alarm system. It's got a color LCD display remote, 2 miles of range, allows you to configure zones directly from the remote and is overall an excellent piece. But, in addition to that, I've got a Viper GPS. It's a tracking system that is better than Lo-Jack in that it allows you to log onto a website and see where the car is, how fast it's going, etc. So, you don't have to wait for the PoPo, even though they can use it to their advantage, as well. It works in conjunction with my alarm system so that not only is my two-way pager notified of a breakin, but my cell phone is also called immediately. 'Nuff said. Screw Lo-Jack.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
dc567

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
Lo-Jack is not the best. The reason is that only Lo-Jack or the Police can determine where your car is; you can't. In my car, I've got a Viper 7900 Two-Way Pager alarm system. It's got a color LCD display remote, 2 miles of range, allows you to configure zones directly from the remote and is overall an excellent piece. But, in addition to that, I've got a Viper GPS. It's a tracking system that is better than Lo-Jack in that it allows you to log onto a website and see where the car is, how fast it's going, etc. So, you don't have to wait for the PoPo, even though they can use it to their advantage, as well. It works in conjunction with my alarm system so that not only is my two-way pager notified of a breakin, but my cell phone is also called immediately. 'Nuff said. Screw Lo-Jack.

how about the reception in underground garage??
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're going to hunt down and apprehend a potentially armed car thief by yourself?

Impressive.

I'm certain you've considered the civil law implications and compilations that you're likely to incur correct? Personally I'd like some of the tens of thousands of tax dollars I pay each year to go to some trained professionals to return my transportation but hey, to each his own.

Just funning with ya'. Personally I worry that most people haven't thought past the alarm goes off and I run out to rescue my car point in time.

I had a friend who lived in a second story apartment. One night the alarm on his tricked out VW bug went off. He looked out the window and saw someone crawling under his car to steal something - pop the engine cover likely. So dude grabs his 12 gauge pump, leans out the open window, and fires a shell off into the air ... thief runs off, cops arrest my friend, take away his shotgun, and award him a series of court appearances. Dude hadn't thought beyond pulling the trigger discharging a weapon inside of city limits, disturbing the peace ...

The point is that you have to have some plan beyond I'm going to go out and confront the guy so high on crank that he doesn't hear or see me coming. Sometimes it's not a guy ... but four guys. Sometimes it's not just a guy but a guy armed with a Glock ... or four guys armed with Glocks. Grab my wife or family and I'm all in but not over a car ... not worth my life or a bullet lodged in my spine.

Sorry.

So the "best" alarm ... I worked as a professional installer for three years before entering the Navy and working in the field for 24 more years. If you want to stop the kids from stealing your car:

1. Lock it up (even inside your garage)
2. Take the keys out of it (always)
3. Don't leave anything of value displayed (like a $2500 CD collection)
4. Put any alarm you want on it just make sure it has a blinking visible light
5. Toss on another ignition kill switch if you think the factory one isn't good enough

If you want to stop the professionals:

1. Good luck (any car left outside can be gone in less than 30 seconds)

A pro is going to lift the car by the front wheels with a tow rig and take it off the street where he can spend hours, days, weeks ... to defeat your alarm. These are the guys that Lojack catches. Lojack will also get you a discount on your insurance where most other alarms will not.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snakes.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

While visiting a local shop, they showed me a new Clifford alarm that uses an internet interface where you can shut down your car if you get a message it's been stolen.

I don't know all the details, but from what I remember, it can email, call, page etc you if there is a problem. Then you can disable your car if you feel it necessary. With a command, the next time you car stops moving, it dies and won't start.

Of course, a flatbed is a thieves best friend and an alarm's worst. But you do what you can and hope for the best... and a good insurance company.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by DVFlyer
While visiting a local shop, they showed me a new Clifford alarm that uses an internet interface where you can shut down your car if you get a message it's been stolen.

I don't know all the details, but from what I remember, it can email, call, page etc you if there is a problem. Then you can disable your car if you feel it necessary. With a command, the next time you car stops moving, it dies and won't start.

Of course, a flatbed is a thieves best friend and an alarm's worst. But you do what you can and hope for the best... and a good insurance company.
That's the same as the Viper piece; it's all DEI product. If I find that there's something wrong, I simply cut the engine with the push of a button. Oh, and for a flatbed situation, install a digital tilt sensor.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
XIceDragonX

Psh screw all these alarms... I just installed my new transformers dvd into the dvd player of my car, so now it is imbued with the power of becoming a huge freaking robot and just crushing the thieves... take that ya scum bags... flat bed a giant friggin robot that's all pissed about you trying to scratch him up.!!!! yeah, that's what I thought.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM
victor1

Best alarm is a PITBULL with AIDS. Just leave that **** in there.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
KhaotikZ

Originally Posted by victor1
Best alarm is a PITBULL with AIDS. Just leave that **** in there.

LMFAO
Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 PM
codek

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
how much would that run?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't know pitbulls could carry AIDS. Is that like a cross-species thing?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glock 9mm
Glock .40
Glock .357 sig
Glock 45 acp
Glock 10mm
Glock .380