Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help troubleshoot my audio issue please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
TechnoMnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help troubleshoot my audio issue please!

Hello, I have the following setup in my '03 350z.

Alpine head unit -> JL Audio 250Wx1 -> 10" freeair sub
-> JL Audio 400Wx4 -> 6.5" front MB Quart components & 6.5" MB Quart rear speakers

My issue is that after driving around for a bit a static noise appears only in the tweeter and midrange speakers on the driver's side door. The volume is constant and varying volume on the head unit doesn't seem to effect it. If I turn the Head Unit off and on again the noise goes away but will return again after some time. The issue is isolated to this component speaker set. I double checked all connections to the JL Audio 400x4 amp and the problem persists. Could this be a failing crossover? Any ideas on what the heck could be causing this? Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Ouch… what you describe is like the most frustrating thing to “track-down.” Since the problem happens after running the CES for awhile, you would suspect heat generation to be the culprit, and that makes the amp the most likely place to look at first. It could simply be a bad ground, or a problem with the amp. But then again, heat may not be the problem since you report that simply restarting the CES makes the problem go away (an instant restart doesn’t allow a cooling period, so heat generation may not be the problem).

One thing to try is swapping the driver’s side door components with the passenger side. You wouldn’t need to do a “physical” swap (lots of work); but, instead only swap the speaker leads. That should provide some useful diagnostic clues.

My bet is that it is a faulty ground.

--Spike
Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
702Fairlady

Im going to have to also agree on a bad ground connection. If not, make sure you doint have your RCA cables running along side of you power/ground cables. That to would result in road noise.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 AM
TechnoMnc

Default Re: Help troubleshoot my audio issue please!

Thanks for the input, I removed the 'earthing system' of 4 gaugue wires running around the engine from the equation last night. Where else would you suggest checking ground connections? Any particular method in doing this? (I have a digital voltmeter) I'll be driving the car today to see if the removal of the earthing wires helps. Swapping L & R channel wires is a great idea to isolate things. Since the 400W amp is behind my sub that'll take more time to get to. Appreciate the advise!

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Ouch… what you describe is like the most frustrating thing to “track-down.” Since the problem happens after running the CES for awhile, you would suspect heat generation to be the culprit, and that makes the amp the most likely place to look at first. It could simply be a bad ground, or a problem with the amp. But then again, heat may not be the problem since you report that simply restarting the CES makes the problem go away (an instant restart doesn’t allow a cooling period, so heat generation may not be the problem).

One thing to try is swapping the driver’s side door components with the passenger side. You wouldn’t need to do a “physical” swap (lots of work); but, instead only swap the speaker leads. That should provide some useful diagnostic clues.

My bet is that it is a faulty ground.

--Spike
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ If you have multiple/independent grounds, you may want to try tying as many of those ground wires together and selecting a single ground point (if that is practical).

I still think the problem is a ground off the amp.

--Spike
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM
702Fairlady

Ok after re-reading your post here are some things you can try.

*Check the ground connection coming off of the amp. Make sure that it is secure, and that the place you put it is a solid metal to metal connection. If there is paint, use some sandpaper and get it off.

*Next make sure all the connections on the amp are secure. Make sure there arent any small threads of the cables jumping across to other terminals.

*Make sure that the RCA connections from the headunit arent running along side the power wires. This would create more of a whine noise, but its always good to check.

*Next check the actual crossover in the door. Make sure all the connections are secure and again that none of the wires have little threads jumping across touching other terminals.

If none of these solve the problems. Switch the wires on the amp leading to the door. Put the wires leading to the driver door in the right side of the amp, and the passenger in the left. If the problem now switches over to the passenger door its a problem with the amplifier. If it stays on the left, it is a problem with the Crossover or actual speaker itself.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait, does hte noies vary with engine rpm or just a constant static that remains the same volume and pitch regardles of engine speed? and is the static there when the car is off but hte stereo is on?

these could be potentially two different issues depending on your answer