Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Factory Nav Screen Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 AM
DelayedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory Nav Screen Replacement...

Does anyone have any information on replacing the factory nav's screen with something better? I searched for any threads but couldn't find anything, I've looked at the unit but couldn't really tell if there was anything I could do with it. What I want to do is replace the unit, with something better, hell if possible a touch screen, though I doubt that would work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Lsmith9523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are many threads here about double din headunits with touch screens and the Farenheit/Power Coustic T7000 screen in the upper cubby. Also,,,there are a few companies that offer the touch screen that will work in the upper cubby also. Try searching for "screens in upper cubby" or "cubby screens"..something to that nature,,,that should lead you in the right direction and also provide you with many pics of member's installations.

I hope this helps
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 AM
StreetOC192

LSmith9523, I think DelayedZ is actually asking if he can replace the factory nav screen and use a new screen with the factory nav system and headunit? Is this correct DelayedZ? That's how I understand the question.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 AM
DelayedZ

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
LSmith9523, I think DelayedZ is actually asking if he can replace the factory nav screen and use a new screen with the factory nav system and headunit? Is this correct DelayedZ? That's how I understand the question.
Ya thats what I'm asking, replace the shitty factory screen with something nice, lol.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by DelayedZ
Ya thats what I'm asking, replace the shitty factory screen with something nice, lol.
I'm not sure if it's been done. I would think ANYTHING could be done with enough research/investment/effort, but I would think there would be too much effort to make it worth while.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. The factory nav is not "upgradeable". You get what you get.

If you wanted to put money into researching it you could, but by the time you found some kind of setup that would work you would be so far in the hole with so little return that it would make no sense to take up the endeavor in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
Ryan-350Z (08-03-2023)
Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM
DelayedZ

I'm gonna see what I can find, I was hoping someone has attempted, but I'm curious what nissan uses to send the image to the screen from the nav dvd player, basically convert that image to be usable by say, a lilliput or xenarc touchscreen, it would at the least make the screen more user friendly.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Lsmith9523

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Oh, I am sorry guys,,,I misunderstood the question. DelayedZ, if you get it all figured out,,,please post up and let us know....Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked into this back in 2004 when i had my Navtv setup in. I wanted to upgrade from the factory Navigation screen to a TFT video screen so that I could view the movies clearer. Long story short it was a no go.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Xanavi (a division of Clarion) is the hardware supplier for Nissans’s OEM navigation device. So that’s the place to start looking for technical information. And... Zenrin provides the application software that drives Nissan’s Xanavi navigation device.

This is a total guess, but I suspect the OEM navigation LCD is an RGB monitor. RGB monitors display better color and a sharper image than composite video, but it’s really not significant on such a small screen as is a 7” LCD monitor. You won’t see much difference. Touch-screen monitors typically are RGB with a VGA adapter to the device outputting the signal (the image). However, the Zenrin application software used in Xanavi hardware doesn’t support touch-screen function on the Z’s OEM navigation device. That means you won’t get any advantage replacing the Z’s OEM LCD navigation monitor. It is also noteworthy that LCD’s supporting touch-screen function do not display as sharp an image as the same screen that doesn’t have touch-screen support. It is simply that touch-screen function needs a flexible layer (i.e., soft layer) on the LCD screen to record the user’s pushes on specific points on the LCD’s surface.

If you want a razor sharp image, the best solution is the Garmin GVN 53 connected to a high quality RGB monitor with a VGA adapter. That rivals the great image you get with a CarPC and the same configuration.

With this said, the Garmin GVN 52 (or the Garmin GVN 53) using composite video is also excellent (but not quite as sharp as a CarPC or the Garmin GVN 53 using a VGA adapter and an RGB LCD screen), and the same is true for the double-din touch-screen products from Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, and Pioneer. They are OK, but not quite as good.

--Spike
Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM
DelayedZ

Originally Posted by Spike100
Xanavi (a division of Clarion) is the hardware supplier for Nissans’s OEM navigation device. So that’s the place to start looking for technical information. And... Zenrin provides the application software that drives Nissan’s Xanavi navigation device.

This is a total guess, but I suspect the OEM navigation LCD is an RGB monitor. RGB monitors display better color and a sharper image than composite video, but it’s really not significant on such a small screen as is a 7” LCD monitor. You won’t see much difference. Touch-screen monitors typically are RGB with a VGA adapter to the device outputting the signal (the image). However, the Zenrin application software used in Xanavi hardware doesn’t support touch-screen function on the Z’s OEM navigation device. That means you won’t get any advantage replacing the Z’s OEM LCD navigation monitor. It is also noteworthy that LCD’s supporting touch-screen function do not display as sharp an image as the same screen that doesn’t have touch-screen support. It is simply that touch-screen function needs a flexible layer (i.e., soft layer) on the LCD screen to record the user’s pushes on specific points on the LCD’s surface.

If you want a razor sharp image, the best solution is the Garmin GVN 53 connected to a high quality RGB monitor with a VGA adapter. That rivals the great image you get with a CarPC and the same configuration.

With this said, the Garmin GVN 52 (or the Garmin GVN 53) using composite video is also excellent (but not quite as sharp as a CarPC or the Garmin GVN 53 using a VGA adapter and an RGB LCD screen), and the same is true for the double-din touch-screen products from Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, and Pioneer. They are OK, but not quite as good.

--Spike
Ooh, thank you sir, very informative. I already have an IVA-W200 and the blackbird dock (still figuring out why it cancels out the bypass) so I can have the factory nav plus that, but I was just curious if any upgrades could be made. This is good though, it'll inspire me to figure out why the blackbird dock cancels out the bypass.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Any updates on this?

I'm thinking of upgrading my factory navigation display to a TFT screen myself, I don't care for touchscreen I just want to have a slightly brighter/clearer picture (not for the nav but an aux. purpose I'd like to use the screen for....HKS CAMP2 .)

This is the picture quality of the OEM nav display when I was running a Nav/TV setup back in the day. In the second picture I'm not sure if the dark line is because of the type of screen or if it is or because of the DVD player I was using.

I'm thinking about picking this up and having my stereo guy mess around with it and see if he can do a screen swap for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Navigatio...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the closest thing I've found as a replacement screen. The cons so far are that its touchscreen which I don't need and it does not have the right port configuration. I'll keep on the hunt though.

http://touchscreen.caltronind.com/in...d=23&Itemid=45

Last edited by Kwame; 02-03-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Spike100

Please forgive me if I’m missing your point/question.

The best display for DVD movies on a car LCD is composite video. That’s simply because the DVD player outputs its signal in a NTSC format that looks best using a composite video connection and a compatible LCD monitor.

Usually if you send NTSC video to a RGB monitor with either VGA or TFT drive systems, you probably won‘t receive optimum video. That’s why viewing broadcast television or viewing DVDs on your computer sometimes doesn’t look quite right. It often looks too dark, and cannot be adjusted adequately.

There is a solution (at least for cars):

Kenwood KOS-L702 remote LCD Monitor…

Name:  KOS-L702.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  23.9 KB

…with the Kenwood Controller KOS-V500 (or Kenwood Controller KOS-V1000).

You connect your DVD player (using RCA jacks) to the KOS-V500 (or KOS-V1000), and output video to the KOS-L702 remote LCD Monitor. Kenwood did a nice job in its KOS system supporting NTSC video from a DVD player using its proprietary A/V connection to the KOS-L702 remote LCD Monitor. In fact, you can output a variety of signals from different devices, and run these through the KOS-V500 or 1000 Controller and output the A/V signal to the Kenwood KOS-L702 remote LCD Monitor, and expect consistently great results. It works because Kenwood designed the KOS-Vxxx series controller to handle a variety of connection and output scenarios.

But, not sure this helpful for what you are asking,

--Spike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KOS-L702.jpg (23.9 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Question ^

so, can the Kenwood KOS-L702 be mounted in the cubby on the '06.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=detailed_info
Old 02-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Spike100

You can fit a LCD screen into the upper/forward cubby of any and all Z cars. Different years and models require different approaches for this solution.

Additional Point: You cannot fit a DD device into the Z’s upper/forward cubby.

--Spike
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
jonty12

Originally Posted by Spike100

--Spike
Sorry for rehashing an old thread but...

Spike100, do you know of anywhere where I can find an VGA adapter to connect to the GVN53? I currently have it all set up with a Kenwood touchscreen, but both Garmin and Kenwood each say the other is responsible for developing a cable to allow the Kenwood to utilize the potential RGB output of the Garmin, so I'm stuck with the remote and no touch capability.

TIA.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike100

^^ My understanding is that Garmin has no intention at this time to support touch-screen function for its GVN 53 navigation “black box” provided as a stand-alone aftermarket solution. Garmin added RGB support to the GVN 53 so that you can connect the GVN 53 to a VGA monitor. This expands the device’s versatility (you can connect it using either composite video or VGA). The idea is the GVN 53 is marketed to car manufacturers as a data input device for an OEM GPS solution, and the car manufacturer provides the the screen hardware (that "taps" Garmin's application software) for touch-screen function.

To get touch-screen support in an aftermarket solution, you need the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box connected to a compatible Kenwood monitor.

I think I have this right, but certainly any corrections are welcome.

--Spike
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
jonty12

Thanks for the quick reply...

i originally did get the KNA G510 (in fact still have it -- needs to go on ebay -- thanks for the reminder) with the lz702w touchscreen. they were both installed and the touchscreen worked fine. one problem though, with the lz702w, sound cannot be output from the RGB input so the only sound could come from the speaker on the back. the lz702w will only output sound from video 1 and video 2 inputs. the gvn 53 outputs with both rca and rbg, though the included harness only has rca plugs.

the theory is that by being able to utilize the rgb for video/touchscreen and the rca for audio, one could have both audio and touchscreen.

so far no luck. i have no desire to go and replace everything with the KOS line at this stage since all i want is the nav unit (with associated XM radio/traffic).
Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 AM
HR_Z-Ballz

In the process of looking for a better solution to a more quality resolution/product can someone post the dimensions for the upper box below the triple meter. I would do it but I am in Iraq.

I will help on this little project as well because I am interested in getting universally better product.

Dimensions W: H: D: ?

Thanks