Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Lilliput 7" (EBY701) in fliplip cubby

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 AM
osmoze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lilliput 7" (EBY701) in fliplip cubby

Hi all,
I just receive my lilliput 7" screen and when I try to put it in my cubby, it's impossible.
All buttons are on the right and it's to wide for the cubby.

Someone know how can I do to install my 7" screen?
(cut the cubby, cut the screen...)
If you find a website with picture or something that can help me...

This is my screen:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Lilliput-EBY701-7...sid=p1638.m122

Thanks @ all
(sorry for my english)
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 AM
osmoze

when I see this picture, I think that I can easyly cut the cubby.
(I got the same fliplip as the picture)

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/das...s/image014.jpg
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
ev0k1ll3r

by "flipout" i take it you have an 06+ cubby without the slide operation. i hear that its pretty tough to get a screen into an 06+ cubby. it takes a lot of modification. ive seen someone try to fit an 03-05 cubby in but i hear it doesnt look so good and also takes alot of work. but if any one knows a good clean way, im very interested to do this to my 07..... on another note - i think i have also seen someone use the factory nav cubby to hold an aftermarket screen.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Looks like a very nice LCD with great resolution. The image will be outstanding. Fitting this in the upper/forward cubby is certainly possible if the outside dimensions (W 7 3/4" X H 4 1/2" X D 1 3/8") provided in the eBay listing are correct.

The listing also says the screen has a “Full Function Remote Control.” If that’s the case, you’re in great shape since you won’t need access to the physical buttons along the side of the monitor. If you must have access to the control buttons along the side of the monitor (the eBay feature list isn’t accurate), the installation is much more difficult and the rest of my message isn’t relevant.

The exact method you use to mount the screen depends somewhat on the model year of your Z.

The screen is mounted from the rear. You must remove the center dash piece (as shown in your second post). Obviously you need to remove the pocket, and that’s where things differ depending upon the year of your Z. If the pocket is removable, your task is simple. It becomes slightly more complicated if the pocket is a single piece since you may need to cut it off to create an opening for your screen. Whenever you cut stuff like this, the edge may be a little raged, so consider using a finishing piece that frames the front of the opening, fits flush to the LCD’s case, and hides any ugly cut border. A good custom installer can fabricate this finishing frame (if in fact you even need it).

Once you create the opening, you need to suspend the monitor on the rear side of the cubby. You can use electrical strapping ties for this. If that doesn’t feel secure enough, you could add plastic weld (“glue” designed for this). It’s a good idea to make your installation as removable as practical. With this in mind, using plastic weld directly on the LCD’s case may not be the best way to mount your screen. So, back to using a custom fabricator to create a frame that is permanently attached to the rear of the cubby; that way you can simply drop your monitor into the mount.

Additional Points:

1) If the monitors remote doesn’t control all functions as the eBay listing states, then most of my advice here is bogus since you will need to have access to the physical buttons (possibly by repositioning the buttons which is a big job).

2) If the remote is IR (vs. RF), you need to provide direct view to the infrared receiver in the monitor. If the IR receiver isn’t positioned optimally, it’s easy to add an IR “extension” (and that usually doesn’t require “cracking” the monitor’s case).

3) Before installing the monitor, you should bench test the device. That’s true for any component you install. It’s really ugly to spend a few hours installing something only to discover it isn’t working properly. If you haven’t bench tested the device, you don’t know if you have defective equipment or a faulty installation.

4) You might consider removing the center dash piece and taking this along with your monitor to a custom installer. That way the installer could easily fabricate the mounting apparatus you need saving you a lot of headaches. The installer could also bench test the monitor insuring the device is working properly before you go to a lot of trouble installing a defective piece of equipment.

And… after you get this installed, please post pictures.

--Spike