Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Infinity Perfect 6.5 Spacer ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
KManZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Perfect 6.5 Spacer ?

I haven't reached any conclusive results in my searching on which spacer to get for mounting the mid-bass woofer. In one post someone says a 1" spacer will work, in another person's post they say "the 1" didn't work for me, I had to step up to a 1 1/4" spacer. How can you have 2 different sized spacers on the same car? It's killing me because I want to buy one and be done with it, but can't find the final answer!

So, what sized spacer? The 1" from Zenclosures looks great but if I need another 1/4" I will need to modify.

NO, I do not want to bust up my stock speakers because someday I will take the Perfects with me and I want to just put the stocks back in Makes sense to me because I have bought a new set of speakers every time I get a new car... might as well save money for the long run, eh?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KManZ
I haven't reached any conclusive results in my searching on which spacer to get for mounting the mid-bass woofer. In one post someone says a 1" spacer will work, in another person's post they say "the 1" didn't work for me, I had to step up to a 1 1/4" spacer. How can you have 2 different sized spacers on the same car? It's killing me because I want to buy one and be done with it, but can't find the final answer!

So, what sized spacer? The 1" from Zenclosures looks great but if I need another 1/4" I will need to modify.

NO, I do not want to bust up my stock speakers because someday I will take the Perfects with me and I want to just put the stocks back in Makes sense to me because I have bought a new set of speakers every time I get a new car... might as well save money for the long run, eh?

i think Mike at Zenclosures has the speaker spacers for $20
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
StreetOC192

I personally can't see the Infinity Perfects needing more than a 1" spacer.....I thought 3/4" was plenty for them.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did your try the factory spacer

cut out factory speaker from spacer and use that free
Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
StreetOC192

And if you do need a 1/4" more than the 1" spacer provides, use 2 layers of sound deadener and/or some closed cell foam (weather stripping) between the door and the spacer and there is your 1/4" more.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
And if you do need a 1/4" more than the 1" spacer provides, use 2 layers of sound deadener and/or some closed cell foam (weather stripping) between the door and the spacer and there is your 1/4" more.
Chris Tucker voice: "that's my dawg!!!"

I just went with the Zenclosures spacer kit, as it looks pretty stout, and comes with all the necessary mounting screws & stuff. Thanks for the guidance, again.

350Zspl: I really don't want to wreck my stock speakers. I heavily debated it though but would rather not have to scramble to find some stockers in case I need to put them back in someday.

Last edited by KManZ; 01-04-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
smaha

don't have experience with the perfects in the Z, but diamond audio's and crystal mobile sounds fit in my Z with 3/4" spacers, with lotsa room to spare. i'd think the perfects should be fine with 1" spacers. let us know how they sound when you're done...
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by smaha
don't have experience with the perfects in the Z, but diamond audio's and crystal mobile sounds fit in my Z with 3/4" spacers, with lotsa room to spare. i'd think the perfects should be fine with 1" spacers. let us know how they sound when you're done...
Will do; I get them on Wednesday next week.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 AM
04_CS_Z33

Has anyone confirmed that Infinity Perfect 6.1's will work with the zenclosures 1" spacer? When my windows go down they hit the speaker and right now they're mounted off-center. Long story short, I had them installed, they worked for like 2 years and now when the windows move they stop working. So I hope this will fix it. Any other ideas as to why my speakers would emit a very loud noise just because the window is moving?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 AM
bdahern

I dont have Perfects, but the Zenclosures 1" spacer works perfectly with my 6.5 Infinity Kappas components.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by smaha
Well, the install is complete. In addition to the spacer from ZEnclosures, the Infinity Perfects needed 4 layers of FatMat to clear the window. 4 layers isn't more than an 1/4 of an inch, so it wasn't that big of deal. Along the way noticed the way the stock grill is half covered... WTF Nissan, what is the meaning of this? I contemplated drilling out the holes but my patience was worn thin as it was.

Yesterday I got a chance to sit down and tune my amp and Alpine 9887, and WOW, what a difference compared to stock! The music is so clear, and even without a sub the lows are nice and tight. I had to use the built in parametric EQ to tune out the highs though, as the tweets are pretty harsh at times. After I get my sub, I am ordering the Imprint kit from Crutchfield; word has it that the kit vastly improves sound because it implements time correction and such to match your vehicle's interior dynamics. Exciting!

I sound deadened my doors, and that is very noticeable. Its like a dead spot around each door and the music cuts through beautifully. Drawback: my interior smells like a freshly shingled roof! Hopefully that goes away. And, I am still getting rattles from the window/lock controls. I might pop them back off and see what dampening I can provide to eliminate the rattle.

This install was a frustrating operation and I am glad it is over. Luckily for me, all I need to do for the sub is to plug it in
Old 01-15-2008, 04:51 AM
StreetOC192

There is a speaker grill mod where you cut out the entire center of the grill and cover it in grill cloth. Maybe someone can provide a linky to that DIY?

the odor does go away in about a week. To me, living with the odor for a week is worth saving 50% versus other brands of deadening (this is assuming you went with the FatMat brand like me).

Let me know how you like that imprint kit.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
There is a speaker grill mod where you cut out the entire center of the grill and cover it in grill cloth. Maybe someone can provide a linky to that DIY?

the odor does go away in about a week. To me, living with the odor for a week is worth saving 50% versus other brands of deadening (this is assuming you went with the FatMat brand like me).

Let me know how you like that imprint kit.
I saw that speaker grill mod, and I think I might order some extras to do it. I am just afraid of kicking my speakers in Maybe there is a way I can fab up the Infinity grills to the stock mounts.

Yeah, I went with the FatMat; the smell is sort of over powering, and its erasing the new car smell I still am trying to hold on to! j/k