Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Double DIN installation in upper pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Please do keep us posted on your project. I am very interested (in fact considering this installation myself). Your project (description and pictures) should go into Forums>Audio & Video> Audio Builds.

For sure, the Kenwood KOS Carportal Interface will work. For a 2003 Z (or 2004 Z with an upper/forward cubby 2003 swap), it’s a “drop-in” requiring no custom fabrication. With later year Z’s, there will probably be some minor custom fabrication to fit the Kenwood KOS-L702 touch-screen into the Z’s upper/forward cubby (no big deal though... very easy project).

Subscribing…

--Spike

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
After thorough analysis, we've found that it is NOT impossible to mount a double DIN in the upper pocket! However, it does require major modification - so much, in fact, that it's likely not even worth it. What would need to be done is remote-mounting the brain of the head unit and mounting the touch-screen face alone behind the pocket. I had it all planned out, and this is what I encountered.

- Loss of warranty on whichever radio you use!
- Overall a pain in the ***.
- There is a ribbon cable connecting the touch-screen face to the brain, and you must special order a cable with the same pin configuration in a longer length in order to make it work. You CANNOT splice into it with CAT-5, as we also thought of, because the pins are too small.

So, I've decided to use a KENWOOD EXCELON KOS-V1000 CARPORTAL INTERFACE. I'll keep you guys posted with info.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Fairly Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your support. The idea behind doing this is to show the 350Z community that they can still have a touch-screen head unit without running the risk of having it stolen. Unfortunately, the KOS-V1000's operating interface is not as visually appealing as that of the Pioneer AVIC-D3, which I had initially planned to use. However, after looking further into it, we've learned that it's a much more intricate piece of equipment than a standard head unit. By using this, we're outfitting the Z with three sets of 5 volt preouts, which should prove extremely useful for the audio installation about to ensue.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Spike100

… Unfortunately, the KOS-V1000's operating interface is not as visually appealing as that of the Pioneer AVIC-D3, which I had initially planned to use. …
I know what you are saying. Pioneer’s map-display as a “Rand McNally graphic” is very attractive. But, think about the extra bytes this approach requires, and the cost in speed when redrawing the screen. Garmin does this differently, and the compromise never hurts the visual, but provides much better performance.

It has been awhile since I was involved in this industry, but the goal was always clear graphics with the best redrawing performance. Garmin (the OEM supplier for Kenwood) goes for performance (but never compromises the map display). With Kenwood GPS devices, you get a faster redraw (best by a big margin), and the maps are always very readable. When you add Kenwood's flash-memory to Garmin's great application software, performance is much better than any of the other available systems (even those with HD's).

--Spike
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Fairly Z

There's no doubt about that. The Kenwood navigations made by Garmin are the best, period. I just like the overall user interface of the Pioneer better, like the menus, etc. Essentially, the KOS-V1000 is going to be exactly the same as a DDX-8019. However, before next year Kenwood will be releasing the new model of the KOS vehicle interface which will be more like the DDX-8120, with the new '08 GUI.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've listed out a shopping list of what you'd need to mount a screen, and then the rest...without warranty issues, etc....gonna be at least 2k. Its all in a thread I made awhile back.

After thorough analysis, we've found that it is NOT impossible to mount a double DIN in the upper pocket! However, it does require major modification - so much, in fact, that it's likely not even worth it. What would need to be done is remote-mounting the brain of the head unit and mounting the touch-screen face alone behind the pocket. I had it all planned out, and this is what I encountered.

- Loss of warranty on whichever radio you use!
- Overall a pain in the ***.
- There is a ribbon cable connecting the touch-screen face to the brain, and you must special order a cable with the same pin configuration in a longer length in order to make it work. You CANNOT splice into it with CAT-5, as we also thought of, because the pins are too small.

So, I've decided to use a KENWOOD EXCELON KOS-V1000 CARPORTAL INTERFACE. I'll keep you guys posted with info.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
I've listed out a shopping list of what you'd need to mount a screen, and then the rest...without warranty issues, etc....gonna be at least 2k. Its all in a thread I made awhile back.
Would you be willing to provide an itemized list. $2k sounds high.

--Spike
Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Fairly Z

I regret to inform you all that I've officially scrapped this idea. It's not because it's impossible. In fact, it's quite possible. Using the Kenwood KOS-V1000 with a separate touch-screen is the route to take if you're interested in doing this.

However, I've decided that I don't have the means to do this because it's been five months since I purchased all of my audio equipment, and so far I've only got a left side JL midrange speaker installed. The fact of the matter is that our shop does too much volume in installations to concentrate on an employee's vehicle, especially when the build is so intricate and complicated.

At this point, I'm getting extremely impatient, considering I dropped a shitload of money into equipment that I haven't even been able to enjoy yet. So, if I'm able to secure a place for my car in our shop within the next two or three months, I want to make it simpler for my installation staff so that my car doesn't end up sitting in the corner for months on end.

Sorry, guys. I wish I could've shown you all a creative head unit install, but I've opted to use the Metra dash kit and install a DNX-5120. I am, however, still doing a custom amp / sub install in the hatch. I'll be posting the final results as soon as I'm able. Of course, I wouldn't think it'll be any time soon. I left for a week's vacation with my girlfriend in March, left my car in the shop with hopes of at least having the speakers installed, but they only had time to install one midrange door speaker.

So, it'll probably be a long while. :\ I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 AM
codek

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

is there anyone else interested in this project. I want to do the same.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by codek
is there anyone else interested in this project. I want to do the same.
When you say (“I want to do the same.”) I assume you are not attempting placement of a DD in the Z’s upper/forward cubby space.

Is my assumption correct?

--Spike