Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

SQ Headunit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

those are amazing units.. but i can't go without my lazy man knick knacks such as Ipod Controller, Nav, HD Radio, Bluetooth, DVD.. etc..
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug
those are amazing units.. but i can't go without my lazy man knick knacks such as Ipod Controller, Nav, HD Radio, Bluetooth, DVD.. etc..
+1, otherwise I would have problem gotten one of those units.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Understood. You are also comparing a $500 (Eclipse) unit to a $1200 (Clarion) unit.

Keep in mind also that you still have to this day, award winning SQ systems build around headunits rated at 0.2 volt preamp outputs. And if you are going to be running the preamp signal from the headunit to a processor before getting to the amps, then the output voltage of the headunit is almost negligible.

I'm not trying to sell you on Eclipse, Just want you to make the most informed decision.
yep I totally understand

I'm not using an outboard processor at this time
Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by doug
I hear ya I've had many of those features in previous cars (nav, a full DTS DVD setup, etc) all top of the line stuff too, but I just never used it. It was cool for the wow factor, but I just never got out of it what I put in, so I figured I mind as well get the best setup that I can without all the gadgets.

I'm going to look into whether the Clarion and Nak has some sort of Aux input that I can configure a separate sirius tuner for without resorting to FM modulation I know the McIntosh one does, I'd assume the Clarion does as well, not sure on the Nak - down to these 3 I think at this point

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-18-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Also I forgot to add

it's so nice how well behaved everyone seems in this section Going from suspension, to engine to especially FI, to the Audio section, you would never think it's the same site lolololol

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-18-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Aldo I forgot to add

it's so nice how well behaved everyone seems in this section Going from suspension, to engine to especially FI, to the Audio section, you would never think it's the same site lolololol
Doug is only playing nice because your equipment list does not include JL Audio products.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

that's because JL is whack (I think that's the first time I've ever used "whack" as an adjective!)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's because JL is whack (I think that's the first time I've ever used "whack" as an adjective!)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also I forgot to add

I agree. For the most part it is pretty civil over here. Mostly the only treads that get out of hand are the JL Audio threads. Some love JL Audio, while others loathe them. It is not argued that JL Audio is decent equipment, but it is very hotly argued whether or not it's worth the money (msrp), and that you can get better equipment for less money.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I agree. For the most part it is pretty civil over here. Mostly the only treads that get out of hand are the JL Audio threads. Some love JL Audio, while others loathe them. It is not argued that JL Audio is decent equipment, but it is very hotly argued whether or not it's worth the money (msrp), and that you can get better equipment for less money.

but yes, it seems everyone helps everyone in this section...like doug, street0c, 350zspl.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I don't even find JL stuff particularly expensive, I just am not generally a fan of "me too" type equipment, that's all. That being said, one of my other cars has a old school WS6 (I think?) and 500-5 in it
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

i'm only nice in the audio forum.. i'm an a-hole everywhere else on this site
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
350zspl
Banned

eclipse
denon
clarion
mccintosh
nakamichi
Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

thanks for all the help guys...greatly appreciated

I am going to go for the McIntosh Should have it next weekend and once the new work is done, I'll post some updated pics
Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Boy and Howdy is this thread confusing or what?!

First of all, the sound you get from Sirius can be anywhere from great to lousy (and that depends upon the hardware you use and the bandwidth Sirius provides to different channels):

Sirius Hardware:

1) The worst hookup is an FM modulator. That’s true of any reception scenario.

2) The best sound comes from an integrated tuner (my Clarion with an integrated tuner provides great sound from Sirius that rivals CD quality).

Sirius Channels:

1) As to “Talk Radio“ on Sirius… The Playboy channel and the Stern channel have great sound while CNN, MSNBC, E!, and others are poor. That’s simply because of bandwidth. Hefner and Stern won’t settle for anything less than optimum in any environment while others (like a weak MSNBC) will take what they can get.

2) Any of the music channels on Sirius are quite good as long as your receiver is integrated with your H/U. If you use an FM modulator, the music channels suffer.

Hope I’m not completely missing the point on this thread.

--Spike
Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM
JOEGYVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to take away by your thread by any means, but this is the first time I have bothered looking in the audio forum, and very surprised there are guys like me who don't want the bling and gadget factor, and much more focused on the SQ, simplicity, and matching components. I got out of audio in 01 and have never questioned putting anything in my Z b/c the market has gotten so flooded with functions and eye candy, I hated it. Nice components and I agree that the clarion and mac units are sweet, and the mac will match your amp. Is that not a 10 year old amp, the part no. seems familiar and again I have been out of the game? I miss old school components...

Again, sorry to be somewhat off topic, just pleasantly pleased!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spike100
Boy and Howdy is this thread confusing or what?!

First of all, the sound you get from Sirius can be anywhere from great to lousy (and that depends upon the hardware you use and the bandwidth Sirius provides to different channels):

Sirius Hardware:

1) The worst hookup is an FM modulator. That’s true of any reception scenario.

2) The best sound comes from an integrated tuner (my Clarion with an integrated tuner provides great sound from Sirius that rivals CD quality).

Sirius Channels:

1) As to “Talk Radio“ on Sirius… The Playboy channel and the Stern channel have great sound while CNN, MSNBC, E!, and others are poor. That’s simply because of bandwidth. Hefner and Stern won’t settle for anything less than optimum in any environment while others (like a weak MSNBC) will take what they can get.

2) Any of the music channels on Sirius are quite good as long as your receiver is integrated with your H/U. If you use an FM modulator, the music channels suffer.

Hope I’m not completely missing the point on this thread.

--Spike
I have never used an FM modulator, nor would I. My current setup is a direct tuner (Kenwood). To say that any satellite radio rivals cd sound is completely not accurate...it's not even close. Satellite radio quality is akin to the quality on a decent ipod burn, at best. It is nowhere near the level quality of a CD though. The overall sound quality variances per channel are due to alot of factors - bandwidth is only one factor.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JOEGYVER
Not to take away by your thread by any means, but this is the first time I have bothered looking in the audio forum, and very surprised there are guys like me who don't want the bling and gadget factor, and much more focused on the SQ, simplicity, and matching components. I got out of audio in 01 and have never questioned putting anything in my Z b/c the market has gotten so flooded with functions and eye candy, I hated it. Nice components and I agree that the clarion and mac units are sweet, and the mac will match your amp. Is that not a 10 year old amp, the part no. seems familiar and again I have been out of the game? I miss old school components...

Again, sorry to be somewhat off topic, just pleasantly pleased!
Thanks! not off topic at all. I'm a simple kind of guy. I've been modding cars, in all aspects for more than half my life now, and I've learned alot along the way. One is that quality is never out of style. I also know how to be honest with myself about my needs and wants and when I decide to pull the trigger, I don't half *** it I pick what I want, and I'll wait till I can have it. Yep, the amp was sold from from 1994-1997...old school, but its so insanely overbuilt and so clean sounding.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I have never used an FM modulator, nor would I. My current setup is a direct tuner (Kenwood). To say that any satellite radio rivals cd sound is completely not accurate...it's not even close. Satellite radio quality is akin to the quality on a decent ipod burn, at best. It is nowhere near the level quality of a CD though. The overall sound quality variances per channel are due to alot of factors - bandwidth is only one factor.
re> "The overall sound quality variances per channel are due to alot of factors - bandwidth is only one factor"

So what are the other factors affecting sound quality?

--Spike
Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spike100
re> "The overall sound quality variances per channel are due to alot of factors - bandwidth is only one factor"

So what are the other factors affecting sound quality?

--Spike
alot of it has to do with whomever is running the boards for a given show - the engineering varies from show to show and it can lead to very inconsistent quality among stations. I've been both an XM and Sirius subscriber....same thing with both. But it's like an IPOD...you do it for continuous entertainment, not all out sq

Quick Reply: SQ Headunit Recommendations