Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Garmin GPS Nuvi 650 2005 cubby install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Halr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin GPS Nuvi 650 2005 cubby install

I've read about many installs of GPS portables in the cubbys on our Z's. I found many different suggestions but really only two solutions that utilize Garmin purchased mounts with the original cradle and only one that can fit in the newer cubby style. I decided to order the mount I had found that someone previously documented on a different forum and when I called about the order, I ended up talking to a customer service guy that offered to send me the other suction cup mount someone on this forum had mentioned worked for them. (but on the 2003 cubby)
The mount I feel is the best solution for our 2005 cubby is the Garmin replacement mount VIB 10 part # 010-10969-00. This mount allows enough clearance to close the cubby door without interference and remove the Nuvi quite easily when necessary. Here are a few pics from the install, but to see the whole thing, please take a look at my pics at: http://community.webshots.com/album/562172254cTcAjg
Attached Thumbnails Garmin GPS Nuvi 650 2005 cubby install-img_0778.jpg   Garmin GPS Nuvi 650 2005 cubby install-img_0758.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Good post. Nice pictures, and of course listing the part number is very helpful.

Notice that you are not receiving many replies. That is simply because you state the facts and provide a solid solution that doesn’t attract much in the way of discussion.

--Spike
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Lsmith9523

Very nice set up,,,looks really clean. Does the Garmin use an internal gps antenna,,if so,,,how is the reception? Or, do you have an external antenna connected? I am using my laptop, ( on the road for business) and could not connect to your link. So, all I could see were the two thumbnail photos.

Great Job!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Very nice set up,,,looks really clean. Does the Garmin use an internal gps antenna,,if so,,,how is the reception? Or, do you have an external antenna connected? I am using my laptop, ( on the road for business) and could not connect to your link. So, all I could see were the two thumbnail photos.

Great Job!!!!
I am aware that your question is directed to the OP, but I can offer an answer as well.

I installed a GarminV in the upper/forward cubby and used both an external antenna (placed on the rear strut in a Z coupe) and the device’s internal antenna. There was no difference in performance between the two antennas (remote or internal).

Based upon my experience, I would say that you can expect good reception from a Garmin Nuvi mounted in the Z’s upper/forward cubby using only the Nuvi’s internal antenna

--Spike
Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally Posted by Halr
I've read about many installs of GPS portables in the cubbys on our Z's. I found many different suggestions but really only two solutions that utilize Garmin purchased mounts with the original cradle and only one that can fit in the newer cubby style. I decided to order the mount I had found that someone previously documented on a different forum and when I called about the order, I ended up talking to a customer service guy that offered to send me the other suction cup mount someone on this forum had mentioned worked for them. (but on the 2003 cubby)
The mount I feel is the best solution for our 2005 cubby is the Garmin replacement mount VIB 10 part # 010-10969-00. This mount allows enough clearance to close the cubby door without interference and remove the Nuvi quite easily when necessary. Here are a few pics from the install, but to see the whole thing, please take a look at my pics at: http://community.webshots.com/album/562172254cTcAjg
Excellent.. I'm working on mine right now, but with an 03. I looked at the mount you used, but couldn't find anyone showing the exact dimensions of it - so didn't try it.

I have the stubby suction cup mount which works fine, but I'm trying a block install with the RAM ball mount. http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ram-hol-ga22.htm

I didn't want to worry about the suction cup coming off, etc.

Where did you tap your hardwire power into? I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing it without being too destructive
Old 01-19-2008, 11:07 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought a 650, should be here next week. Did you hardwire it, if so what wires do you use.

Last edited by mw9; 01-19-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Halr

Default Hardwired, yes using a PAC AAI-NIS2 Aux Input

Hi guys,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I wasn't on the computer yesterday. I definitely hardwired the Nuvi into the system. Using a simple cigarette lighter socket extension, I first just wired that to the passenger cigarette socket under the dash. It's relatively easy to tap into there. I ran the wire over to the center console under the radio, so I could just use the original power plug that Garmin includes with the Nuvi 650. The passenger cigarette socket is a switched power circuit so it goes off/on with the ignition.

Regarding the audio connections, I bought a right angled mini stereo plug to RCA style plug connecting cable. You can get them at Radio Shack. I then purchased the PAC AAI-NIS2 Aux Input converter so that I could just plug it into the back of my stock Bose head unit. This allows me to just switch to the auxiliary channel to both listen to the map prompts and/or play MP3's through the Bose.

While this setup won't allow playing CD's and hearing the Map instructions at the same time, it will allow playing the MP3's on the Garmin, which will properly mute when instructions are being spoken while following a route. It also keeps the Garmin on all the time while the ignition is on. If I don't want to see the Nuvi screen, I just close the cubby door.

This installation does require removing the centor main console with radio attached in order to install the adapter and wiring. It's really not that hard and there are already good instructions on this site for do this. My only suggestion is to test the setup prior to reinstalling the console. You do not want to have to do it more than once if possible. Buy your cables ahead of time and have all the mounts and tools ready before you start.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Spike100

Nice write-up describing the installation (stealth and cool). Great idea wiring the Garmin’s sound to your Bose for voice guidance and MP3 function through the car’s speakers.

--Spike
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year do you have? I looked up the PAC AAI-NIS2 Aux Input and it says for 04 and up.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally Posted by mw9
Just bought a 650, should be here next week. Did you hardwire it, if so what wires do you use.
I just finished mine - check it out here

I used a splice off the ACC power off the head-unit. You need to be clear on the radio type and year to get the colors right. On a Bose 03 it was light green (top corner on larger harness into the radio).

Check the service manuals in the electronics, audio section to find your specific setup.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 AM
spacemn_spiff

Nice write up thanks. I might end up doing something like this as well.

Here is a splash screen that goes well with this.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up I am getting a Nuvi 660 for my Bday and want to hardwire it in as well. Not even going to try DIY. Was wondering if the 2005 Bose unit can hardwire the audio as well. The guy at best buy(don't laugh) seemed to think it was impossible.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally Posted by Starchecker
Thanks for the write up I am getting a Nuvi 660 for my Bday and want to hardwire it in as well. Not even going to try DIY. Was wondering if the 2005 Bose unit can hardwire the audio as well. The guy at best buy(don't laugh) seemed to think it was impossible.
Check out the service manual in the above posts. That model should have a SAT in, so it should be possible. Personally I'd tell you don't bother.

Why? It's plenty loud to be heard over car noise. Radio noise doesn't matter because if you hard-wire it into an AUX input, you aren't going to hear it unless you switch to that input. So all it gains you is hearing the voice through the stereo vs the speaker. Unless you flush mount it so only the face is exposed, I wouldn't bother. In a setup like mine (see above posts) in the cubby its volume is fine even at the default settings... and I have a injen dual exhaust rumbling away
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Starchecker

Originally Posted by flynnibus
Check out the service manual in the above posts. That model should have a SAT in, so it should be possible. Personally I'd tell you don't bother.

Why? It's plenty loud to be heard over car noise. Radio noise doesn't matter because if you hard-wire it into an AUX input, you aren't going to hear it unless you switch to that input. So all it gains you is hearing the voice through the stereo vs the speaker. Unless you flush mount it so only the face is exposed, I wouldn't bother. In a setup like mine (see above posts) in the cubby its volume is fine even at the default settings... and I have a injen dual exhaust rumbling away
Thanks for the input flynnibus. I read your thread first and really liked how you did your install, great documentation.

I just dropped by Car Toys and asked them about the install. They didn't think my 2005 had a SAT input, I know it doesn't have a button to select on the head unit(just CD, Tape and Radio) however, since this thread is a 2005 Bose Unit it must work. They were going to run a hardwire connection to the fm antenna in the unit, said the sound would be just fine, but I don't trust that option. They said the parts and install would run $200(75 for parts).

Checking out the price of the PAC AAI-NIS2 at $100, it looks like it would end up costing me at least $250 to hardwire everything. DIY can sure save some money. If I hardwired the audio it would be to play the mp3's with the Nuvi so it would mute for the voice prompts. However for that money I am definitely going to take your advice and try it loose for a while and see how it goes. I have a roadster so with the top down I imagine it might get hard to hear the commands if I don't run it through that speakers, but we will see.

Thanks again. These threads are great.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

The roadster definetly throws a twist into it and I can see wanting to use the stereo possibly.

As for mp3s... don't you already have an ipod or something? The nuvi is only going to play mp3s off the SD card that you load up.. and even then its going to be pretty limited compared to what a true iPod could do. I wouldn't really put much weight into it.

If I were spending the money, I'd look at a aux input and see if its possible to wire both into the aux input in some way.. so I'd have an iPod AND the navi come through the radio. But that's my personal tastes.. if I'm going to pay someone for an install, I'd like to get the most out of it.

To answer the question on the radio.. simply download the service manuals linked earlier in this thread. It will list out exactly what the radio has.. plus you can use those pages when talking to installers about quotes. I just didn't have the time to download the files here before posting to give you a better answer myself. Wife is demanding I goto the store

Good luck with it!

Originally Posted by Starchecker
Thanks for the input flynnibus. I read your thread first and really liked how you did your install, great documentation.

I just dropped by Car Toys and asked them about the install. They didn't think my 2005 had a SAT input, I know it doesn't have a button to select on the head unit(just CD, Tape and Radio) however, since this thread is a 2005 Bose Unit it must work. They were going to run a hardwire connection to the fm antenna in the unit, said the sound would be just fine, but I don't trust that option. They said the parts and install would run $200(75 for parts).

Checking out the price of the PAC AAI-NIS2 at $100, it looks like it would end up costing me at least $250 to hardwire everything. DIY can sure save some money. If I hardwired the audio it would be to play the mp3's with the Nuvi so it would mute for the voice prompts. However for that money I am definitely going to take your advice and try it loose for a while and see how it goes. I have a roadster so with the top down I imagine it might get hard to hear the commands if I don't run it through that speakers, but we will see.

Thanks again. These threads are great.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Starchecker

Thanks, the more I think about it the more I might decide to try it myself, after looking at and reading the installation instruction on that part it doesn't seem like it would be that bad to install. I agree about setting it up for the Garmin and the iPod while I am at it.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Spike100

Great thread… and not arguing with anyone’s points here (all are valid and useful).

I would only say I prefer (my personal preference which isn’t any better than what other people on this thread suggest/prefer) is routing GPS navigation voice commands thru the car’s CES. It’s cool; interrupting the H/U sound with a “beep,” issuing the voice guidance, and returning to the car’s current CES output.

I understand the concept of issuing the voice commands through the navigation device and sounding over the CES. I actually do this to a degree, since I mute the front speakers where I send the GPS voice guidance, but still keep the rear coaxial speakers (which I have turned way down) active.

My aftermarket H/U doesn’t support muting, but I’ve discovered a way to do this (an add-on) that works with any device.

--Spike
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
jamaicanj

Great thread. Thanks for the info