Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sub not "hitting" right...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 AM
playa6tnine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub not "hitting" right...

i uninstalled and reinstalled my system this past weekend to do some sound dampening. when i put everything back together, i noticed this problem:

the sub will play normal, and it will do the low steady frequencies fine. like "booooooooooooooooom". those notes are fine.

but when it is supposed to "hit", the sub gets quieter, instead of "hitting". this only happens on the hard hitting quick notes, like the notes you would make if you hit your fist on a desk to make a beat.

lol does this explanation make sense? did i hook something up wrong? reverse polarity or something?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 AM
StreetOC192

2 of the most common problems that would cause the symptoms you are describing would be reverse polarity wiring or air leak.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
or air leak.
+1

VO(knows from experience)
Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 AM
playa6tnine

so if the polarity is reversed, that would mean i would have to switch the positive and negatives?

and by air leak, you mean like something as small as a screw hole or larger? or dont think i have any leaks, but i will check
Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by playa6tnine
so if the polarity is reversed, that would mean i would have to switch the positive and negatives?
Correct

and by air leak, you mean like something as small as a screw hole or larger? or dont think i have any leaks, but i will check
Correct.....it only takes a very small air leak to cause a problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 AM
VO...
Administrator

Yes & yes.

Polarity reversal is pretty obvious though. When the sub hits, it'll suck inward instead of outward. That's polarity reversal...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

well if its an air leak.. this would be a perfect opportunity to get rid of those JL's i'm suprised you even put it in your sig
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 AM
playa6tnine

cool guys, thanks for your help! i have some investigating to do.

as for doug, i'm not sure where you're getting at, and if my JL system is a positive or negative thing lol
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 AM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by vo7848
+1

VO(knows from experience)
I read your thread. School of Hard Knocks. Life's best teacher (and lessons not soon forgotten).
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by clarkemtp
I read your thread. School of Hard Knocks. Life's best teacher (and lessons not soon forgotten).

You think that's bad. Read this thread. Start on post #4

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/241538-squeaking-new-rotors-with-brakes.html
Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

reversed polarity only matters if you have 2 subs, which the OP used the word "sub" so i assume that means 1. out of phase subs with the highs would have nothing to do with the situation that the OP is describing.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by str8dum1
reversed polarity only matters if you have 2 subs, which the OP used the word "sub" so i assume that means 1. out of phase subs with the highs would have nothing to do with the situation that the OP is describing.
Not true necessarily. If you have your mid woofers crossed over low enough and are overlapping frequencies between mid woofers and sub, you will get cancellation if the sub is wired with a reverse polarity. As the OP describes the sub will hit the low notes, but not the punchier notes in the higher subwoofer spectrum. Since I am not there to analyze the issue myself to rule anything out I included it in my remote synopsis. It takes 25 seconds to prove this out. Better to be too thorough than not thorough enough.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by vo7848

You think that's bad. Read this thread. Start on post #4

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241538
Damn. Your car modding would make a great country song. A couple of steel guitars twangin' away and chorus about "...it it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...".

Don't feel bad though, I just got rid of a C6 Vette that I drove for two years. I bought it with the Z51 performance package and those brakes, even stock, squealed like a stuck pig. I was always just freakin' PUMPED to pull up at a light, step on the brakes... and have everyone WHIP their head around to see what fuggin' POS was makin' all that racket.

A change to ceramic pads was a widely known "fix" in the Vette community, but damn it... if I'd wanted crappier than stock braking, I wouldn't have popped for the Z51 in the first place. lol

/back-to-your-regulary-scheduled-thread-already-in-progress
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
doug

A change to ceramic pads was a widely known "fix" in the Vette community, but damn it... if I'd wanted crappier than stock braking, I wouldn't have popped for the Z51 in the first place. lol

/back-to-your-regulary-scheduled-thread-already-in-progress
OMG.. i changed to ceramic pads unaware of the performance issue.. i can't tell how many times i almost/did run a stop sign
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM
clarkemtp

Originally Posted by doug
OMG.. i changed to ceramic pads unaware of the performance issue.. i can't tell how many times i almost/did run a stop sign
I detect a note of sarcasm in your post.

Sorry guys, I wasn't implying that ANY pad of ceramic, or other origin, was any better or worse than any other pad in this application. Being a new owner, I know *squat* about the popular brake pads for the 350z.

All I meant was the GM ceramic pads that everyone used to "cure" the squealing Z51 brakes were a definite performance compromise over the stock compound pads.

That being said, you might try stepping on the pedal sooner and you won't run that big red sign.

Last edited by clarkemtp; 01-23-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
playa6tnine

lol this thread went from a subwoofer issue, to ceramic brakes. thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I just skimmed through all the replies. The polarity could be an issue if another driver (large midrange?) in the car is trying to reproduce the same "hit" FQ's as the sub and is out of phase.

But, I wonder if you might have changed the X-over FQ on the amp or other crossover device when you reinstalled the equipment. If the sub is crossed over at 40hz, it might have the effect you are describing. (I don't know if your head unit has a built in sub crossover but if it does, I would check that too. -maybe it defaults to some setting you don’t want.)

Also, a ported box that is incorrectly tuned will do this also.

Sorry if any of this has already been covered.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 PM
doug

I detect a note of sarcasm in your post.

Sorry guys, I wasn't implying that ANY pad of ceramic, or other origin, was any better or worse than any other pad in this application. Being a new owner, I know *squat* about the popular brake pads for the 350z.

All I meant was the GM ceramic pads that everyone used to "cure" the squealing Z51 brakes were a definite performance compromise over the stock compound pads.

That being said, you might try stepping on the pedal sooner and you won't run that big red sign.
I was not being sarcastic.. i was being real... i bought ceramic pads.. and i was driving with my brother.. hit full boost.. came to a stop sign and the car wouldn't stop.. so i got back on the gas and made a left turn and kept going..

i could have braked earlier... however i didn't know that ceramic pads needed more time to stop.. my prior brakes held better and stopped quicker
Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 AM
clarkemtp

I was not being sarcastic.. i was being real...
One of the hazards of giving up "face to face" communication, it's harder to tell when someone is being genuine vs. "just f'kin with ya". My bad, although I'd say no harm no foul. I'm not easily offended. I guess that comes from many years of posting in the Off-Topic section of CorvetteForum.com. You develop a THICK skin, quickly.

1 bought ceramic pads.. and i was driving with my brother.. hit full boost.. came to a stop sign and the car wouldn't stop.. so i got back on the gas and made a left turn and kept going..

i could have braked earlier... however i didn't know that ceramic pads needed more time to stop.. my prior brakes held better and stopped quicker
Anyway, again, I'm no brake pad expert as they relate to our Z cars, but in the Vettes it was a common swap for whiney Z51 owners that should've never bought the option in the first place. The GM ceramic pads squealed less and dusted less.

Let's see... No squeal? No dust? No bite. No brakes. You traded ultimate braking performance for a quiet car with nice clean wheels. Yeah, ummm, no thanks. I kept the stockers... just got rid of the car. hahaha
Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 AM
doug

Anyway, again, I'm no brake pad expert as they relate to our Z cars, but in the Vettes it was a common swap for whiney Z51 owners that should've never bought the option in the first place. The GM ceramic pads squealed less and dusted less.

Let's see... No squeal? No dust? No bite. No brakes. You traded ultimate braking performance for a quiet car with nice clean wheels. Yeah, ummm, no thanks. I kept the stockers... just got rid of the car. hahaha
to be honest.. i bought them because i ignorantly thought they were better for performance.. NEVER AGAIN.. i would rather clean my rims everyday than live through that horror

Quick Reply: Sub not "hitting" right...