Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Mid in stock location w/ tweet in kick?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
sukebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid in stock location w/ tweet in kick?

Anyone do it? How does it sound in a Z?

I know that it isn't ideal, but it's got to be better than tweets in the sail panels. Better alternative than coaxials?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 AM
StreetOC192

It's not the locations that are not ideal, if installed and tuned properly it can sound absolutely fantastic......it's more the fact that the average person does not have the processing abilities to tune it correctly. You need to basically go full active for this type of setup to sound its best so that you can time-align the tweets and mids separately.

I am actually planning this type of install now. I am not 100% decided on the tweeter's exact location, but once I get everything in the car I can play with placement. The mids will most likely be in Nazar's or my home made pods on the doors......although I am really starting to consider kicks. The reason I am hesitant to do kicks is because I already have the Zenclosure door pods screwed to my door panels and if I eliminate pods altogether I will be left with holes in my door panel .
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^^^get kicks , glass and paint door, or re-upholster door ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 AM
sukebe

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
It's not the locations that are not ideal, if installed and tuned properly it can sound absolutely fantastic......it's more the fact that the average person does not have the processing abilities to tune it correctly. You need to basically go full active for this type of setup to sound its best so that you can time-align the tweets and mids separately.
Ok, I understand what you're saying. You have to go active to get the best results.

But what about a regular,run-of-the-mill, passive crossover component system installed this way? It's got to sound better than the passive stock setup and tweeter location right? If so, how much better? Better than coax?

BTW, I enjoy reading your thread detailing your setup. I'm super curious about that sub.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 AM
StreetOC192

Well, again, it really would depend on how you aim the tweet, and the actual components themselves. A metal dome tweet will sound a little warmer (typically) if installed in the kicks than it will in the sail panel. Physically you are moving the tweet closer to the woofer which is better and a little closer to a point-source setup than the sail panel tweet location.

I wrote in a thread a little while ago about my thoughts on coaxials/point-source drivers. They are the 100% ideal setup, but not enough manufacturers are devoting enough time/energy into designing audiophile quality point source or coax drivers. Also, the traditional coaxial design with the tweet on a pole extended through the center of the woofer diaphragm, the woofer will loose out on some bass response.

Now these would be some of the best point source drivers out there for the money. A pair would run about $300.

Seas Prestige T18REX/XFC

Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by sukebe
BTW, I enjoy reading your thread detailing your setup. I'm super curious about that sub.
Thanks, I am very happy with my new sub setup. I took some more pics today, but forgot my cable to transfer the pics to my computer at work....i'll upload them tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:51 AM
smaha

sukebe, I have done that setup in my car with diamond audio hex components. the imaging is great. lots more potential for sound adjustment on the tweets than any other location I could find without designing custom kicks. I would do it again. The only drawback is when something is placed on the passenger floorboard (groceries, backpack, someone's legs), the high's are severely impacted or of course, when you decide to sell your car, you either leave tweets there or must replace your kick panels..
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Originally Posted by sukebe
Anyone do it? How does it sound in a Z?
Sounds fine. Angle the tweeters up into the cabin and you'll be very happy with that set up.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
sukebe

I've got a set of Crystal SSCS 6.5" components w/ 1" titanium dome tweets and some CDT rear fill in my S13 that I have been thinking about pulling to install in my non-Bose 350.

I know I should just get some kicks from Bing, but I just don't want to give up my dead pedal. Everyone says you don't miss it, but I'm hardheaded like that.

Anybody got pics of their setup this way?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
sukebe

Originally Posted by smaha
sukebe, I have done that setup in my car with diamond audio hex components. the imaging is great. lots more potential for sound adjustment on the tweets than any other location I could find without designing custom kicks. I would do it again. The only drawback is when something is placed on the passenger floorboard (groceries, backpack, someone's legs), the high's are severely impacted or of course, when you decide to sell your car, you either leave tweets there or must replace your kick panels..
I understand what you're saying about the highs being impacted in those situations. This is inherent with the location though, and you'd experience the same drawbacks with a custom set of kick panels, right? If so, I think that this is acceptable.

I am basically looking for the best possible setup while spending the least money.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM
sintaxeror

this seems like a good idea.. i may follow if you try it out. I was just going to use the stock sail also because I too am too hardheaded to give up my dead pedal.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have it in my car as well....with the right tweeter (I'm on Utopias) they are awesome
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 AM
KPierson
Banned

You could always mount the tweeter in the A-pillar facing the windshield...