Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

So it looks like im buying some Polk SR's....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
KelekonaKustoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow So it looks like im buying some Polk SR's....

well, after months of searching for a good set of speakers, i think i found what im looking for. i was looking for a good SQ speaker that got loud enough and still sounded good and had to be pleasing to the eye. i listen to all types of music, but in the car its mostly rap, rock, and metal.

here were my choices:
-Focal K2p $1000 (sounded too harsh, ugly yellow cone)
-Morel Elate $1000 (great speaker, but might be too nice for my music choices)
-Boston SPZ $1000 (didnt get to hear them but i used to have the pro's, huge crossovers and overall an ugly speaker)
-Hertz MLK165 $800 (great speaker, didnt get to demo them enough, sounded a little weird in the mid range, but overall good)
-Polk SR6500 $750 (best speaker i heard so far and it was underpowered, only recieving 75 watts instead of the 125 it needed)

now tweeter is having a sale right now selling the Polks for $560, thats a steal. so its cheaper than the rest and from what ive personally heard, the sounded better than the others i auditioned. i still havent listened to the morels or bostons but for the price i dont think i could go wrong with the Polks.

so id like to hear some opinions from the experts on this forum and people who know these products and/or personally own them. i want to make sure im making the right decision before dropping that kind of money on speakers. im also open to suggestions. thanks for the input
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
rotaryrocket7

Did you check out Dynaudio...at the prices you're listing I'd recommend them over any of the brands above.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
StreetOC192

Ultimately the decision is up to you. You are the one who needs to like the sound. If you feel the Polk's sound best to you, then they are the proper choice out of the ones listed. If you are looking for other options, go to some more stores and at least listen to them on the sound board if you can't listen in a car.

Other brands to look for in the realm that you are looking:
Helix
Brax
Zapco
Dynaudio
Rainbow
AVI

If you are looking to go active look at separates from:
ScanSpeak
Peerless
Peerless v-line (old Vifa)
Seas
Morel
Old 02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
KelekonaKustoms

i think im gonna demo the hertz again, they are a really nice speaker. im dying to hear the bostons but nobody around me has them to listen to.

i thought about going active but i dont think its necessary for the music i'll be listening to most of the time. i think i'll be ok with a really good set of components, proper install, and some good tuning. probably gonna get an alpine 701 or rockford 360, not sure though
Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in that price range i will throw into the lot:

DLS Iridium and Nobelium

Seas Performance

b
Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by KelekonaKustoms
i think im gonna demo the hertz again, they are a really nice speaker. im dying to hear the bostons but nobody around me has them to listen to.
Where in NJ are you?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My choice...

Morel Elate - Trust me, that speaker can handle ANYTHING you throw at it and then some. I run a pair of 3-way Elates (400 Watts to the 6", 100 Watts to the 4" and 100 Watts to the tweeters in each door ) and I listen to all types of music and they can play their a$$es off.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 AM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I JUST got finished installing the Polks in my doors. Get em! They require breakin time so I cant really comment on them right now although they still sound great. I am feeding them 100W rated rms per channel, acutally more like 120W per channel and they are bi-amped. They are in the WickedCAS door pods and look like they belong. PM me for pix!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 AM
BabyZiLLa

Where did you mount the tweeter? How bout postin pics for everyone so 1000 people don't have to PM you.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM
KelekonaKustoms

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Where in NJ are you?
south jersey, right next the walt whitman bridge.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
KelekonaKustoms

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
in that price range i will throw into the lot:

DLS Iridium and Nobelium

Seas Performance

b
i was looking at the DLS but have no way of hearing them, nobody around me carries them.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by KelekonaKustoms
south jersey, right next the walt whitman bridge.
ahhhh, ok. I don't know any shops down there. Sorry man.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

this is my opinion only:

listening to "auditioning" speakers, I htink is way over rated IMO.

as a former shop owner i can tell you that there are so many ways to make one set of speaker sound better than another if thats hte brand they want to push.

in general:

1. listening to stuff ont he sound board in a room means nothing, cars are so different interms of being an acoustic environment, often, spekars that sound good, nice and detailed and not harsh in a room, will scream your ears off in a car, where as spekares that sound almost dull in a room, comes alive in a car.

2. often, shops hook different amps to different speakres and set things differently on the board, say they want to push speaker A, though speaker B may acutally sound better, they would set the settings on spekaer A so it relaly sounds good to its postential on the board, and they dont do the same on B...

3. listening to stuff in demo cars is slightly better, but by no means indicative of how it would sound in your car.

different cars sound differently, also, different installation techniques, different tuning and euqipment used, all have a huge factor in how a set car sound.

about the only way you can tell for sure, is if you listen to a car that has an almost identical interior, using equipment and tuning thats going to be identical, if not very similar to your own install...then...only then, can you get a more accurate idea of what htings sound like.

i myself, after a while, dont ever recommend people to listen to car speakres in a sound board, and often, more or less, when they hear my car, iwlll try my best to point out the differences that their install will sound like.

but in the end, the ONLY way of truly learning how a speaker would sound for YOU, is to get the set, and listen to it in your own car.

of course, this sounds a bit...unreasonably expensive if you arent in the field of mobile electronics, but its unfortuatnely the truth...and unlike say perfroamnce parts in a car, where they have true dyno readings that can justify gains on the same vehicle, SQ is so subjective that it doenst mean a lot.

this is why i offer something for guys on this forum to try out brands that i carry and consider SQ oriented. that is, if you buy a set from me and install it in the manner i recommend, and arent happy with the results, i offer you a return and full refund within a two weeks period after hte speakres have been installed...so its more or less a risk free set up.

about a dozen people have taken advantage of this offer over the past coupla years, nad i have never had a return

so...if you are intersted in trying out hte DLS or Seas sets, let me know...

b
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very good points Bing
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Get_Zwole

this is my opinion only:

as a former shop owner i can tell you that there are so many ways to make one set of speaker sound better than another if thats hte brand they want to push.

in general:

1. listening to stuff ont he sound board in a room means nothing, cars are so different interms of being an acoustic environment, often, spekars that sound good, nice and detailed and not harsh in a room, will scream your ears off in a car, where as spekares that sound almost dull in a room, comes alive in a car.

2. often, shops hook different amps to different speakres and set things differently on the board, say they want to push speaker A, though speaker B may acutally sound better, they would set the settings on spekaer A so it relaly sounds good to its postential on the board, and they dont do the same on B...

3. listening to stuff in demo cars is slightly better, but by no means indicative of how it would sound in your car.

different cars sound differently, also, different installation techniques, different tuning and euqipment used, all have a huge factor in how a set car sound.

about the only way you can tell for sure, is if you listen to a car that has an almost identical interior, using equipment and tuning thats going to be identical, if not very similar to your own install...then...only then, can you get a more accurate idea of what htings sound like.

i myself, after a while, dont ever recommend people to listen to car speakres in a sound board, and often, more or less, when they hear my car, iwlll try my best to point out the differences that their install will sound like.

but in the end, the ONLY way of truly learning how a speaker would sound for YOU, is to get the set, and listen to it in your own car.

of course, this sounds a bit...unreasonably expensive if you arent in the field of mobile electronics, but its unfortuatnely the truth...and unlike say perfroamnce parts in a car, where they have true dyno readings that can justify gains on the same vehicle, SQ is so subjective that it doenst mean a lot.

this is why i offer something for guys on this forum to try out brands that i carry and consider SQ oriented. that is, if you buy a set from me and install it in the manner i recommend, and arent happy with the results, i offer you a return and full refund within a two weeks period after hte speakres have been installed...so its more or less a risk free set up.

about a dozen people have taken advantage of this offer over the past coupla years, nad i have never had a return

b
i took him up on this offer and really didnt know if i was gonna like them or not. Needless to say im still listening to my DLS iridium's lol and i wouldnt think about getting rid of them .
Old 02-27-2008, 01:21 PM
KelekonaKustoms

this is my opinion only:

in general:

b
i agree with everthing you said, but unfortunately thats all i have around here to listen to is sound boards. and as much as they suck, it still gives me some kind of reference. i usually go in there and set everything up myself and tell the salesman to take a hike. and while im there i keep in mind that their gonna be different in a car.

i went and listened to the polks at a different location, but this time with proper wattage. even the salesman said their soundboard sucked but they polks still sounded pretty good. they excelled with the rock and metal music but lacked with the rap. no distortion whatsoever, even at really high volume. but still something didnt sound right, most likely due to the fact that their not in a car but oh well what can you do.

Bing, i am interested in the DLS and maybe the SEAS too. do you have a number or something to contact you better, i also wanted to ask you about the DLS subs as well.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Get_Zwole

check him out here www.simplicityinsound.com get his number hes a great guy to do business with and will work with ya
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
BlueBoxer

I have had my SR Polks for almost a year now and love them. I had a DLS RA50 hooked up to them and then switched to the JL 450/4 and was pleased with the speakers regardless of the amp.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

just send me a PM, calling me is never a good idea cuas ei am almost always working on a car hehe, and irght now working on a big project so...

send me a PM and ew can go from there

dont get me wrong the polk SR is very nice...thogh i think if you had a little more budget, i think there are stuff tat does a little more

either way, let me know

b
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
KelekonaKustoms

i found out that the hertz were underpowered when i listened to them. so i did some searching and found out from someone that has them that they sound weird in the mids when underpowered, but when he put full power to them they were great. and the hertz did sound better then the polks except for those mid's which apparently was due to them being underpowered. so i wanna check out the hertz again.

Bing, i'll send you a PM later tonight

Quick Reply: So it looks like im buying some Polk SR's....