Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Official Kenwood DDX512 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 AM
ChrisCJ99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if I could use my iPhone's iPod music with the adapter?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:37 PM
ecstaz

I will be able to tell you tomorrow after I install mine
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
vfreak

Default Uploading background image

Ok guys,

It seems the only way to upload a background image is using the usb function and firmware 1.4(latest). You need to set the source to stanby and that will enable the upload background button in the system settings. Now, the question i have is if you have the ipod optional cable installed you won't have the usb cable available for usb devices, etc. So, do you think a usb hub(splitter) will work? Have you tried this? It would be very interesting to see if this could work, you could have your ipod and an extra cable for some other usb devices.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Can't you just run the usb connection (that comes out the back of the unit) to some location that is easily accessible, then remove the ipod cable and insert your usb thumb drive whenever you need to? Is it not long enough?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:10 AM
sry110

Well I didn't take step by step photos but I did before and after, and I have to say this unit looks right at home in the Z! Did the install yesterday, took me probably 4-5 hours all together because I had to take the car apart to find where Tweeter had installed my Sirius tuner box, where all the cables were run, etc.

Before: Alpine CDA-9857

After: Kenwood DDX512

I pulled the USB connection up into the cubby so that I can disconnect the iPod cable and easily connect a thumb drive if I ever need to.

I haven't had much time to play with this thing but so far I like it for its iPod capability. I must say though that I think its CD player function is a bit off. I put in one CD and it started playing it at the very end of track 1, then when it started playing track 2 it still called it track 1. When I skip from track to track it takes me to somewhere in the middle of the next track. So far it's only that one CD. Then another CD it starts each track about 0.5 to 1 second into the music, so I miss the very first note / beat. So far those are the only two discs that I have noticed that problem, but I guess it bums me out because a $40 discman could play them no problem. I then updated the firmware to version 1.4.0 (latest version) and it did not take care of the problem.

DVD playback is ok, although I had trouble figuring out how to start playing the movie from the main menu. I ended up hitting the FNC button on the left which brings up the playback controls, and then I had to hit a couple of buttons to get it to play. Maybe I need to read the manual on that one, but I assumed the controls would be more intuitive.

I used the Metra 2006 Z double DIN trim kit and in my opinion it looks pretty decent. I know some guys on here modified the OEM radio mounting brackets by slotting the holes so they could get the head unit to sit farther in, but I just left them as-is and mounted the thing. As you can see in the photos the sides of the unit protrude beyond the console while the middle is just about flush. I actually prefer this because a) the sides don't stick out that far, and b) now I don't have to look at a gap/step between the bottom center of the screen and the console.

I didn't buy the correct Sirius box so I'll have to take it all apart again and install that soon. Best Buy goons didn't stop me when I was buying the old version sirius interface box along with this new kenwood unit, so again it proves to me that I need to do every last bit of research before I go buy this stuff.

So overall I am happy with this unit, and it's definitely nice to be able to match the Z's dash lighting, the girlfriend likes that feature. I'll post again if I have any more comments / criticism.

EDIT - Sorry for the blurry pictures, I'm using an old 4 megapixel in addition with having no photography skills.

Last edited by sry110; 05-25-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:35 AM
CSODeputy

I notice this has a USB option, so can I just hook my USB drive up to this thing and play music from that?

Also, did you have any problems installing the H/U so it sits flush with the dash? any special modifications?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Ghost_shift

I have installed the unit. It looks incredible!!

A couple of notes for you guys wanting to get an image to load for the background.

1. Make sure your flash drive is formatted with "FAT32" as the format.
2.Load your pics. (must be .jpg )
3.Place your unit on standby
4.go to "user interface"
5.then hit the "memory"
6.load the pic
7.choose as background.

I hope this helps. Also, if you guys havent done so, when you get the unit make sure you have installed the latest firmware. It should be 1.40. Just download it from the Kenwood site, burn it on a cd, and then load the cd. If you dont do this, some of the features will not work.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by CSODeputy
I notice this has a USB option, so can I just hook my USB drive up to this thing and play music from that?

Also, did you have any problems installing the H/U so it sits flush with the dash? any special modifications?
The problem is that the HU screen and frame are flat, while the dash curves, so you can leave the mounting brackets as they are and end up with how mine is (with the center of the screen flush with the console), or modify the brackets to get the unit farther back so that the corners are flush.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 AM
sry110

OK guys experienced my first problem with the DDX512 today. I was listening to music from my iPod, which is brand new, thru the head unit and the sound just cut out. At first I thought it was just a bad mp3 so I skipped to the next track and it did the same thing. It cuts out for a few seconds, then comes back on. I haven't noticed any sort of pattern though. What I did notice is that the song time counter (minutes:seconds) kept going while the sound cut out, and when the sound came back in the song was in the correct spot chronologically (i.e. it kept playing while the sound cut out). This tells me that the iPod is working fine, unless somehow it's the sound output from the iPod that is acting up. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Ghost_shift

Guys I need help here. I want to get the hd radio unit for mine. Is this the correct one to get?

KTC-HR200

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
davidz33

I have a plug'nplay 30gb portable harddrive(non-flash). When I fill the hd with about 20 gb of mp3 files, DDX512 can only read about 1/3. I made sure that my hd is formatted and folders and files are structured within limitation per kenwood website.
http://www.kenwood.com/audiofile/dnx5120/english.html
Anyone have a clue on why this is happening?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Ghost_shift

Originally Posted by davidz33
I have a plug'nplay 30gb portable harddrive(non-flash). When I fill the hd with about 20 gb of mp3 files, DDX512 can only read about 1/3. I made sure that my hd is formatted and folders and files are structured within limitation per kenwood website.
http://www.kenwood.com/audiofile/dnx5120/english.html
Anyone have a clue on why this is happening?
It will not read more than 10 gigs. There is a new firmware update coming soon as per the tech support rep that will fix that problem.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
davidz33

Originally Posted by Ghost_shift
It will not read more than 10 gigs. There is a new firmware update coming soon as per the tech support rep that will fix that problem.
good to know,,, thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM
zettahertz

i have this deck and i hooked up a sub to it along with the OEM BOSE using the harness w/ RCA cables. Is there a good way to hook up RCAs for the rear speakers along w/ the sub?

The rear and subs share the same RCA output, guess that's the downside to this deck. Tried splitting the front outputs, the volume is immediately reduced overall (sound quality as well probably). So I'm running it with only front speakers (original BOSE speakers) right now.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
crZydave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just downloaded and installed the 1.4.0 Firmware update. It fixed alot of issues I had with v1.3.0. If you haven't already updated your head unit, I would recommend it.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
davidz33

Does 1.4.0 firmware correct the issue regarding the 10+gb usb device?
I believe I have 1.4.0 but my ddx512 can only read upto 10gb
Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
zettahertz

i think mine came with 1.4.0 also. I notice some of the mp3s don't sort in the right order, i don't get what's up with that. the file name has the track # in front, and i believe that the mp3id track# is filled out as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
sry110

I loaded the 1.4.0 firmware but I am still experiencing an annoying issue. I leave my ipod (80gig ipod classic) in the car and plugged into the USB adapter cable all the time. Half the time I turn on the car and my music plays, the other half of the time I turn car and the screen on the headunit just says 'Reading', but the music never starts playing. The iPod wakes up, but the 'Kenwood control....' etc. screen does not pop up on the iPod. Basically the headunit is charging the iPod, but failing to recognize it and take control of it. The fix is that I disconnect and then reconnect the ipod from the usb cable.

Anyone know how to fix this? Kenwood told me "it must be a recognition error". Well no **** !
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
crZydave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zettahertz
i think mine came with 1.4.0 also. I notice some of the mp3s don't sort in the right order, i don't get what's up with that. the file name has the track # in front, and i believe that the mp3id track# is filled out as well.
I think its looking at the modified date in the mp3 file and throwing at the bottom of the list if it is a newer date. It was doing it on 1.3.0 too. It is pretty dumb because you add a new song and you have to go the the very end of the list to see it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
chriztian

firmware 1.5.1 is out now...

Quick Reply: Official Kenwood DDX512 thread